Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposed changes to site look

Options
  • 16-02-2015 3:24pm
    Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Hi everyone,
    We've a couple of images to show you of what we're planning for the look of the site. We'd love you to give us any thoughts you have on it, good or bad, any potential issues you can foresee, or anything you think could be improved upon or that we have forgotten.

Please note: in the first two images there is an ad slot midway down the page - this is a mistake for a logged in user. Currently only logged out users see an ad in that slot and that will continue as it is.

We have two versions here:

Version 1 homepage
    339091.jpg

Most of the changes are to do with the look of things rather than content though you will notice that the navigational menu at the top has been tidied up - the full navigational menu would still be accessible via the burger menu on the top right hand side. Dav and Declan have been working on some new ways of categorising the current forums in a more accessible, easy-to-navigate way; it's currently difficult and cumbersome for most users and especially for new users trying to find a specific topic.

Homepage announcements are still on the right-hand side as you can see here with the Glen Hansard AMA announcement. (This is just a mock up - we don't have an AMA lined up with Glen, just in case anyone was wondering!)

Sponsored threads to be moved to the side bar also (under the ad in this)

Version 1 thread view - remember the midway ad is for logged out users only
    339084.jpg

Potential idea to keep the OP stuck to the top of the page. We are also looking at a threaded conversation view being an option with a limit to the amount of indentations under each post.

User info which you currently see on the left hand side of each post with user title, join date, location, number of posts will be available by hovering over the avatar. Although not shown here, Mods, Cmods and Admins will still be distinguished from other users, most likely with their user title being displayed under their avatar.

Charter, Stickies, Forum Announcements and Sub Forums will be linked to from the panel on the right hand side instead of at the top of the page. This should make forum charters in particular more visible and easy to find than in a list of threads where it isn't always the top thread.

Version 2 homepage
    339073.jpg

Similar to version 1 except that the background is even more cleaned up - we still have the burger menu on the top right with the full navigation menu available there. Search is still in the same place as the previous design as are Homepage Announcements, Sponsored Threads and the Trending panel.

Version 2 thread view
    339092.jpg

As with the version 2 homepage, it is the same as the previous version aside from the colour.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I quite like both actually, looks quite nice! Would take style 2 given the choice, looks a bit tidier, especially on the homepage.

inb4 flood of negativity.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I agree with SN above.. v2 would be my preference as well.

HOWEVER.. as I said somewhere the last time the site look was changed, too much white is VERY hard on the eyes so I for one would prefer the option of the dark theme as is the case now.

Also, I see the date/time of the post has been removed. Not good for following a thread if the history/cookies aren't working right between devices. Not a fan of the "Newest first" view either. I prefer the current flow myself

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Style 2 is much neater looking, with those nice rounded icons on the homepage, and the shaded quotes. Not a fan of the avatars being rounded off though!

That ad at the top of your screen looks HUGE though, easily 2-3 times the size of the current top-of-the-page ads!

Also, with having the OP pinned at the top of each page, where the OP is a large post (As with this thread for an example!) how will that be handled? If it's not condensed in some way, then it'd make for painful reading experience, as you'd have to scroll past it each and every time. Having it more clearly designated as the OP could help prevent any confusion too.

[edit]
    Hadn't noticed the "Newest first" sorting until I saw _Kaiser_'s post. Really don't like that one, makes for awkward reading. Jump to newest post then read up? Reading order logically should always be down, and higher page numbers for later posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I like both. They both have a slick, clean and free flowing look.
    My preference is 1, but tbh I don't mind.
    Will you updating the touch site ?

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I'm loving the idea of the sidebar with the charter and important threads visible!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Don't really like either but could live with it. The user icons and category icons in the thread list just seem like pointless visual clutter. The modern look for forums seems to be trending towards being very busy visually though. The side bar doesn't give me anything I want but maybe other people will find it useful. I'm ok with the navigation bar being hidden, it's not been very intuitive to new users for a very long time though I would still use it. I don't like My Forums going and don't like navigation being further squashed into a drop down but I think most users will barely notice the change.

Just, please give us a dark theme palette swap like we have at present, all that white is hard on the eyes! :)

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,714 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I like both and agree that the links at the side are useful. It will be great to have the site looking so slick and purpose-built!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

One small thing - the "now ye're talkin' to..." bit needs the spelling fixed. "Y'er" doesn't really work. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm liking both but prefer version 2 myself. Does anyone actually read newest to oldest? View Last Read makes a lot more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Version 2 for me. Does look a bit tidier.
    One think would be to make the division between posts clearer with a brighter colour. Right now the border between each post is clearly visible so id like to see that kept

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Only question I have is why have the click 'more posts' option? On other sites that option is a nuisance just have just load automatically as the user scrolls down - and preferably don't have them see any loading unless they're scrolling incredibly fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 AnettKarina

Version 2 for me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

V2 defo, only comment I'd make would be to agree with previous posters re too much white, while being clean looking can be harsh on the eyeballs.

The gray ye use on the touch site would be better imo.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'm normally pretty negative when it comes to changes to the design of the site as I'm unashamedly a dinosaur and will cling onto the old white skin until there's nothing left to cling onto. That said, there are a couple of nice touches with this that I like, particularly the category graphic on the home page which I think will help new users get used to the idea of categorisation much easier than the current menu. However there are a few things that I think could be enhanced/improved:

* While the menu at the top of the screen is going to be pared down, I do think it should still include "My Forums". This let's you see at a glance if there has been any activity in any of the forums you follow, rather than having to check each forum directly.

* If you're a new user unfamiliar with categories, it's not particularly clear that clicking on the burger menu icon will bring you a list of a load more categories rather than just stuff like settings. Maybe something like a "More Categories" dropdown would be more explicit.

* The second version of the homepage has the threads more clearly delineated, but would it be possible to also add alternate shading like we currently have? There's just too much white otherwise.

* There doesn't appear to be a "view first unread post in this thread" arrow. This really is essential for easy navigation. The "go to latest post" arrow is also very useful.

* Although I like the category icons, I'd also like to see the forum name beside them, rather than buried underneath the thread title where it's less conspicuous.

* Version 2 of the thread view is much better because quoted text is pretty much indistinguishable from the rest of the post in version 1.

* I like the box to the right of the thread with the stickies, etc. The only thing I'd change is to have the list of sub-forums permanently expanded, or at least in a scrollable box. That way new people can see straight away what sub-forums there are and they might see something that interests them. Otherwise we're relying on their curiosity to click on the down arrow.

* I like the idea of stickying the OP of a thread, I saw it on another site recently and thought it was a good idea.

* Does clicking on the three dots under the post bring up quote/multi-quote? The current way where they're always visible is better imo.

* I couldn't see myself ever wanting to use the newest first ordering or a threaded view, but I presume there'll also be an oldest first option as well? I seem to remember all being available when I originally joined Boards.

* As has been mentioned, post date/time would be missed. They're particularly handy for mods who post on-thread warnings. Without them it's impossible to know if a user should be given the benefit of the doubt because they were posting at the same time, or if there were no other posts until theirs an hour after the warning.

* I also agree that it would be nice to be able to see a more clearly defined division between posts. In general, less white please! :)

All in all, a pretty good first effort imo. Well done to the tech guys (and Dav and Declan of course!).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

V2.

You need a view last unread post though.

A great idea to have the number of posts of a user hidden. Don't see why this is shown as it only leads to people posting to get their number up.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

V2 is da bomb.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I'd agree with those who have asked that there not be too much white.

I also hate the idea of pinning the OP's post to the top. I've come across that on many forums and it drives me mad.

I know that you want to make the site more accessible to new posters, and that's great, but referring to posts as comments is a bit too Facebooky for my liking. There's only a certain amount of hand-holding you should do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Repeating what others have said, since I lack originality, the advert at the top is massive, looks as big as the stupid ones Rte have on their site. Prefer v2 if that were only choice, but am hanging on to the old style white version while I still can.

Oh and why does that dog need a new car?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Great work guys.

Here's some thoughts:

Stuff I like :D
    • The cleaner layout and the reduced nav bar are a massive improvement.
    • I like the social media sharing icons even though I know they won't be everyone's cup of tea.
    • I much prefer the icons used in V2. Not sure about the rounding of avatars but it might be necessary for the sake of consistency.
    • I really like the sidebar options of the important stuff for a forum and suggested threads.
    • I think the sticky OP is a good idea, and could be useful in trying to keep things on topic, but it would need to have a collapse/expand option, otherwise a very large OP could take over most of the reading room on the screen, especially on smaller screens.
    • I also like the way you can reply directly to the OP.

Stuff I don't like :mad:
    • In general I prefer V2 but I agree with the posters saying that the difference between posts isn't very obvious. The second design is a tad too white in general, it's a pity to miss out on the Boards blue.
    • I'll probably be shot for this but I don't like the grey gradient at the top of V2, it looks a bit dated.
    • I agree with all the posters asking about the view last unread arrow. It's how I navigate most of the threads I follow.
    • I also agree it should be oldest to newest. Otherwise how would it work- you jump 50 posts down the page then have to scroll up to get to the latest posts? Very annoying, especially if it's in a particularly active thread
    • I also agree that the posts need a time!
    • In both options I think the burger menu button is unintuitive. I wouldn't expect to find the full menu there and I imagine a few user tests will confirm this for ye. It should be text like "All Categories" or something like that.

Some questions :confused:
    • In V2 what does the filter by topic dropdown on the top lead to?
    • Is there any notification icon e.g. currently I have a "1" beside my name in the top right to show there's a PM/new activity in a thread I follow etc.
    • What does Browse refer to? Is this not the same as "All Categories" or the burger icon?
    • Of all the forums, why has Regional been singled out to appear in the top bar? I mean I get Talk To because they are sponsored but I don't get why Regional is there.
    • Under a users post what do the "..." lead to?
    • Is it ok for us to put up mockups or is that a bit too cheeky or potentially messy? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

• Of all the forums, why has Regional been singled out to appear in the top bar? I mean I get Talk To because they are sponsored but I don't get why Regional is there.

Subtle "take your regional discussion off of AH" button maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I'm going with V2... I'll borrow BHP's points just out of sheer lazyness (nothing personal BHP!).
    I'd agree with those who have asked that there not be too much white.

I'd agree with that too..
    I also hate the idea of pinning the OP's post to the top. I've come across that on many forums and it drives me mad.

I'd disagree with that, the last few threads I've witnessed go wildly off-topic and the OP was abandoned with their initial query whilst everyone else was discussing the wider issue rather than dealing with the topic in hand. But then again it's an Irish thing conducive to ramblings in a pub as opposed to listening to a topic chaired by Pat Kenny or something.

It might push more people into starting their own topic too rather than piggybacking on someone elses posts to drive their own discussion :pac:.
    I know that you want to make the site more accessible to new posters, and that's great, but referring to posts as comments is a bit too Facebooky for my liking. There's only a certain amount of hand-holding you should do.

"Comments" --- horrible word, it kind of implies a 2 line response rather than a detailed discussion. Also reminds me of Facebook and Online Newspaper 'discussions' (which they definitely aren't).

"Post" --- Now there is a mighty word. You're getting out your sledge hammer and driving a mighty post into the ground. It carries weight.. ( like 'yor ma' :p).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Version 2 for me. It's much more to the point and looks easier to navigate.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

On another site I follow, you can set up your profile so that the op's post show in a different colour, and your own. Its really handy on a long thread.

I like both versions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Turtwig wrote: »
    Only question I have is why have the click 'more posts' option? On other sites that option is a nuisance just have just load automatically as the user scrolls down - and preferably don't have them see any loading unless they're scrolling incredibly fast.

Yeah, click for more posts is terrible, just have page numbers if the full thread isn't loaded due to size or whatever.

And oldest to newest is much better, or at least give people the option in their preferences.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

either is grand, but please please have the dark theme.. (I actually forgot boards was blue and white until I had to log in again on a n unused computer.. It's not great on the aul eyes! ) but I like the new visuals :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I like both versions, but both are very white.

I wouldn't be a fan of no time/date for each post (not comment!!!) though- that would drive me mad.
    I also don't like round avatars- they're just weird.

I love the idea of 'tidying away' the forum charter in the sidebar. Makes things look neater. :)
    I can understand the point, but what about picture threads? We get a lot of those in 'Christmas.' Or really long OPs? Maybe there should be a moderator option to sticky the opening post where deemed necessary/useful.
    Neyite wrote: »
    On another site I follow, you can set up your profile so that the op's post show in a different colour, and your own. Its really handy on a long thread.
    I was just thinking that! I love that feature of that particular website. It's very handy; especially on threads where you're waiting with baited breath for the OP to reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

nesf wrote: »
    just seem like pointless visual clutter.

That's all I'm seeing a lot of in either option. It seems like these changes just keep trying to make things harder and less intuitive to use the website, whilst increasing the number of clicks to get to content.

The lack of "last unread post" and "last post" nav icons again making usability worse.

If either option was implemented I would either stop using boards or drastically reduce my time spent on boards, just solely due to visual clutter and decreased ease of use.

Whiteout colour scheme of V2 is terrible. <insert goggles do nothing image>

Need a live test to make a call on the nav bar functionality.

Credit where credit is due - The announcements and right-side do look much tidier, and it makes sense to have those things all in one place. The search bar and user icon again look cleaner and improved.

The addition of side-boxes for suggested threads and stuff like charter, etc to the thread view also make a lot of sense.

Something that's confusing - Why is there pagination and a "more posts" option? Should it not be either or?

Most of the other points have been made by Zaph or mahamageehad

I think a V2 in V1 colour scheme mockup is very much needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I think the time and date of each post should be there. Also V2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

How come when I googled a hotel when I came onto boards that hotel was Advertised halfway down my page?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I don't usually see ads because work blocks them, but the sheer volume of ad-space on the thread view is severely off-putting. (I understand wages need to be paid).

I never use the home page anyway so won't comment on that as it doesn't affect me.

but yeah, someone mentioned keeping the "My Forums" dropdown, yeah, do that please.

Advertisement