Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 (End of March 2012 onwards)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

We need a striker urgently.

Our depth in that position is very worrying and it is one of our weakest areas at youth/reserve level imo (Ecclestone, Ngoo, Morgan all look a long way from being ready to be part of the first team squad).

The question is whether or not we need to spend the bulk of our kitty on a proven, senior striker, or go for a lesser known, younger player.

I am very confident that Carroll will have a much better season next year. Not a 35m season, but if he shows the level of performance he has in the last few months and adds to that maybe 15 goals then he will be a valuable player next year.

My preference would be for a pacy striker in their early 20s, who can finish, and ideally costs around 5-10 million. Someone who can play with Suarez, can play off Carroll's flick on's, and can do a job on their own up front in the Europa League or games when Carroll and Suarez are injured. Any ideas?

A proven experienced goal getter please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I think one of Maxi, Kuyt, Downing and Bellamy had to play.

While I agree he has been poor recently, he can offer something the other three can't, which is pace and a direct running threat.

Just wondering, I called for him to start as well but not on the basis that he deserved it. In hindsight it was the wrong call, because as Ade said yesterday he hasn't looked like to same player since his exile/injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭firemansam4

I have had some concerns about Enrique well before yesterdays match, he seemed to be a great signing at the start but has put in some very average performances since, people have been putting him out to be one of our better signings this year but I think there has to be a question mark over him at the moment.

Reina has had a poor season but would be very premature to say he is done, I remember cech having a poor season and he has since come back from that.

Great to see Carroll perform so well yesterday, but it remains to be seen if he can keep it going now, Hopefully he will continue this onto next season and prove all his doubters wrong.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,492 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I have had some concerns about Enrique well before yesterdays match, he seemed to be a great signing at the start but has put in some very average performances since, people have been putting him out to be one of our better signings this year but I think there has to be a question mark over him at the moment.

I think Enrique is fairly solid. But that's all. He doesn't provide an additional spark that makes his truly special or great player. But I wouldn't write him off because of that. If we were having a better season, particularly with more goals being chipped in from midfield, nobody would really question Enrique.

He endeared himself to the fans in the first few months because his pace seemed a match for almost anyone, and he was strong as an ox when it came to taking the ball and protecting the ball from opposition wingers/forwards. There was a lingering image created of Enrique in my mind of him harrassing and coralling opposition wingers outside our 18 yard box and sheperding them into the advertising hoarding while he turns with the ball and canters away.

However I struggle to think of a single assist. His decision making in the opposition half isn't great. He takes pot shots that have no chance, and doesn't seem to have a knack for finding an attacking player with a killer pass. This may be because he's had the likes of Downing playing on front of him which has made that difficult.

He's a very solid left back, and it's been a problem position for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Reina is a world class goalkeeper and can only imagine he doesnt believe where liverpool are at deserves him.

I'm sure he'll give it another year and see.

Enrique I have another theory on...he was good until newcastle past us out. Regrets/Jealous perhaps. Who knows...

Wipe the slate clean for everyone now and reset, buy, and bloodywell get better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,535 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

El Spearo wrote: »
    Reina is a world class goalkeeper and can only imagine he doesnt believe where liverpool are at deserves him.

I'm sure he'll give it another year and see.

Enrique I have another theory on...he was good until newcastle past us out. Regrets/Jealous perhaps. Who knows...

Wipe the slate clean for everyone now and reset, buy, and bloodywell get better.

If that is the way he feels then we'd be better off without him.

Players have to take responsibility for the position they are in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

murpho999 wrote: »
    If that is the way he feels then we'd be better off without him.

Players have to take responsibility for the position they are in.
    In fairness you only have to listen to any interview with him to see that is complete bollix!

He loves Liverpool, and has said several times that he is happy where he is!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

What I meant with that was; that for a top class keeper, he keeps getting dealt the hard hand...2nd choice to Casillias for life, Liverpool in shocking form.

I have no doubts he'll stay, but im trying to understand his form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Meh, he's just going through some ****e form.

Im sure he'll pick it up again next year.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    In fairness you only have to listen to any interview with him to see that is complete bollix!

He loves Liverpool, and has said several times that he is happy where he is!

Please note I started my sentence with 'if'.

Also, didn't Torres say the exact same things?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,275 ✭✭✭slingerz

Liverpool need some serious additions in the summer. I actually don't know where to start from. I think a sub goalie should be added and a backup left back to Enrique

Midfield is a difficult one I actually think Charlie Adam is a big loss as he's the best passer in our squad. A replacement for Spearing who can both be a passer and defensive midfielder.

Wide areas I think Kuyt and Maxi need to move on with some pacey additions arriving, they all need some quality and a goal scorer to compliment Suarez and Carroll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    He is nowhere near as good for us now as Masch and Alonso were the seasons before they left.

alonso was pretty average the two seasons prior to his last imo,its nearly always forgotten

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

barone wrote: »
    alonso was pretty average the two seasons prior to his last imo,its nearly always forgotten

He was coming back from an injury and then Rafa tried bringing Barry in to replace him. I think the main reson he had such a great last season was a big FU to Rafa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Dannyboy1987

I don't think kenny will attract big players , sure look at who he got Adam ,downing, Henderson ,Carroll (will come good) over hyped and over priced britsh players .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

Oversimplifying things I know, but you could say Kenny is trying to create a team in the mould of his old Liverpool side, but maybe times are too different for him now, especially when he looks at buying a player. In fairness that's one thing Ferguson <spit>:D has done very well, adapted to the changing of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Reina has had a disappointing season but I have no doubts in his ability.

GK is very low in the order of priorities at the moment.

One good game by Carroll can't change my opinion that we need a CF.

Next on the list is probably a winger. (Perennial problem, but someone who can beat a man, score a goal, put a cross in etc..)

Then a CM could be useful. The likes of Adam, Henderson and Spearing hopefully to be used more as squad players.

Finally a left-back would be nice to provide competition and a rest for Enrique. Preferably a wing-back, someone who offers a bit more going forward than Enrique. I still think Enrique is a good player, perhaps tiredness has caught up with him a bit as he's been playing every match. One thing Enrique is not great at though is providing a goal threat through goals or assists, which is to be expected of a modern fullback, especially if we're going 4-2-3-1

Morzadec wrote: »
    Reina has had a disappointing season but I have no doubts in his ability.

GK is very low in the order of priorities at the moment.

One good game by Carroll can't change my opinion that we need a CF.

Next on the list is probably a winger. (Perennial problem, but someone who can beat a man, score a goal, put a cross in etc..)

Then a CM could be useful. The likes of Adam, Henderson and Spearing hopefully to be used more as squad players.

Finally a left-back would be nice to provide competition and a rest for Enrique. Preferably a wing-back, someone who offers a bit more going forward than Enrique. I still think Enrique is a good player, perhaps tiredness has caught up with him a bit as he's been playing every match. One thing Enrique is not great at though is providing a goal threat through goals or assists, which is to be expected of a modern fullback, especially if we're going 4-2-3-1

Pretty much spot on and I said they same last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

the club is crying out for a winger that can take players on and score goals. jasus the last one of them players i say we had was steve mcmanaman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

T'fcuk?!

I totally missed that, went under my radar. A quick google says he was appointed to review the clubs communications, what exactly is his role?

Im not entirely sure what his role is, might just be temporary. All i know is that he is a good man to have given his previous work and him being a Liverpool fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Napoli two down to Bologna with 3 minutes to go if anyone wants to start linking Cavani and Co with ourselves. Looks increasingly likely Udinese will take the third and final Champions League spot.

I think there's a good chance Sneijder will leave Inter in the summer too regardless of his contract, i can see United making a real go for him if they can't get Modric. We could do worse than Sneijder ourselves! Pour the whole summers transfer budget into him and pay him Kuyt's, Aurelio's and Maxi's wages combined ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I think there's a good chance Sneijder will leave Inter in the summer too regardless of his contract, i can see United making a real go for him if they can't get Modric. We could do worse than Sneijder ourselves! Pour the whole summers transfer budge into him and pay him Kuyt's, Aurelio's and Maxi's wages combined ;)

never mind the fact that he has been injured this year and under performed and we have 4 other positions that is more of a priority;)

Fulham win so we're 9th now!

Just to add to the weekend and enthuse the 'Kenny Out' brigade!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Fulham win so we're 9th now!

Just to add to the weekend and enthuse the 'Kenny Out' brigade!

Happy with our season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

ricero wrote: »
    the club is crying out for a winger that can take players on and score goals. jasus the last one of them players i say we had was steve mcmanaman
    Kewell and Riera did a job to a certain extent but for consistency, ya Macca still is standout attacking wide man over the last 20 years which is dire :(

Melion wrote: »
    Happy with our season?

No, not at all, but since it became obvious a couple of months ago that we were not going to challenge for top 4 then I stopped worrying if we finish 5th, 6th or 10th.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

No, not at all, but since it became obvious a couple of months ago that we were not going to challenge for top 4 then I stopped worrying if we finish 5th, 6th or 10th.

Ridiculous IMO

I'll be disgusted with 10th and while I wouldnt be thrilled with 5th or even 6th, they are better positions to finish in and I can't understand the logic behind the whole. I difference between 5th and 10th.

Melion wrote: »
    Ridiculous IMO

Why? Will it be remembered in the future when LFC fought back to 6th place?

I'm more concerned now about what happens in the summer with Kenny and the squad in preparation for next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

our league position is embarrasing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

barone wrote: »
    our league position is embarrasing.

the way i saw it was we stopped taking the league games seriously after the arsenal lose at home

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement