Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog knocked down in Sutton

Options
  • 20-10-2011 1:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭

Just on the off chance the owner or one of his friends is on boards. I just wanted to know how your dog is doing? Was about 22:45-23:00 this evening, anyone driving past would have though it was me and my friend in the blue corsa that knocked the dog down, it was the 206 on the opposite side of the road.

I hope he didn't die, cause I have an image stuck in my head of his eyes wide open all watery just staring into mine not moving or blinking, and his body slowly moving up and down loosing temperature.

Two side notes to go with this post.

The girl who knocked the dog down was on the mobile phone, so this could have all been easily avoided if she just pulled in. Also highlights again the risks of driving on the phone, could have easily been a person or child.

Also, I couldn't get a vet out or get in contact with one, is there any that work out of hours? I just felt so helpless, I told one of the owners friends to put his jacket over him to keep him warm. The girl that knocked him down, took the owner dog and friends to a vet, so not sure what happened after.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Oh I hope he's ok, that's awful. At least the girl who knocked him down had the decency to stop and took them to the vets, so many people wouldn't even have bothered doing that. Let us know if you find out about the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Allgäuerin

i fully agree with u on the driving and being on your mobile phone :mad: poor dog hope he will recover :( but the other thing is: how could the dog get on the street:confused: was he not on the lead???

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

i fully agree with u on the driving and being on your mobile phone :mad: poor dog hope he will recover :( but the other thing is: how could the dog get on the street:confused: was he not on the lead???

It could have been spooked - eg by fireworks. My dog ran out on the road last week - frightened the life out of me. He got afraid of barriers/cones (he can be fearful of new things so the cones had appeared on our path since the day before and he didn't like them) and where he would normally have good recall and would wait for me he didn't wait or come back. Luckily he was ok but I just felt sick for hours after - a lorry was coming down the road and saw him and slowed down to let him cross. Even typing about it still makes me cringe.:(

I hope the poor dog is ok :(

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Allgäuerin

How will the dog get on the road when he is on a lead:confused: even if he got spooked. I cant understand people letting the dog walk OFF lead beside a road. By doing this you put the life of your dog and other persons (like car driver) every single second on a high risk!!!

How will the dog get on the road when he is on a lead:confused: even if he got spooked. I cant understand people letting the dog walk OFF lead beside a road. By doing this you put the life of your dog and other persons (like car driver) every single second on a high risk!!!

Well for my guy we were in the park away from the road - but he's a scardey pants/special case :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

but the other thing is: how could the dog get on the street:confused: was he not on the lead???
    How will the dog get on the road when he is on a lead:confused:

You seem to have a right been in your bonnet about the dog being on/off the lead. For the record, I walk my lab everynight around sutton. I walk her on lead. I walk her on a short lead. There are times when traffic comes within inches of myself & my dog. It's not inconceivable that the dog could have been knocked down on lead.

But all of that is completly beside the point. The driver of the car is responsible for safly driving the car. That poor dog, could just of easily have been a child. The driver was on the phone. On the fucking phone.
    Stupid cow. :mad:

Zulu wrote: »
    The driver of the car is responsible for safly driving the car. That poor dog, could just of easily have been a child. The driver was on the phone. On the fucking phone.
    Stupid cow. :mad:

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

He was on the lead, but the path is extremly narrow..

Here's a link;

Narrow Path

msg11 wrote: »
    He was on the lead, but the path is extremly narrow..

Here's a link;

Narrow Path

...which sadly is exactly where I walk my dog a lot of the time. :(
    Christ, if she had hit Chloe I'd have killed her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Zulu wrote: »
    ...which sadly is exactly where I walk my dog a lot of the time. :(
    Christ, if she had hit Chloe I'd have killed her.

I know what I would have done, and I can't say it on boards. But Zulu, just walk your dog on the inside against the wall to be safe.

For such a busy stretch and such a narrow path I am surprised a pedestrian has not been killed here yet.

• Advertisement

...or a cyclist. Although it wasn't too long ago there was a fire engine & ambulance just outside the marina.

TBH, it's worse on the otherside at & after the level crossing heading towards Baldoyle.

I tend to walk on the outside with herself tucked inside against the wall for that very reason, but you know yourself, every once in a while she want's to do exactly the opposite to what I want - not that I let her.

I can understand why people let their dog walk on the outside though - if there's broken glass, it tends to be against the wall.

God the thought of it! :( Zulu and everyone else make sure you and your dogs can be seen!! Think i'll get some of those reflective bands the vets are selling for Irish Guide dogs or even a reflective vest/lead for him even though his collar has reflective bits in it - we'll be doing all our walks for the next few months outside when the park is closed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭chris139ryan

hope hes ok its the saddest thing seeing an animal in pain :( i will never get the image of seeing a cat run over.

Advertisement