Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Michael Nugent and Atheist Ireland stop speaking for all atheists?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

I have heard a bit of Michael Nugent speaking and I think he's quite good to be honest but I don't think he claims to speak for all atheists, he does however speak on behalf of his organisation Atheist Ireland of which I'm not a member.

I have heard him in the past saying that he may be wrong in what he says and encourages people to question him and everything else they hear plus I generally hear him calling for a secular Ireland, not an Ireland that's biased towards atheists.

Ps, what's with the red shirt though? Has he no other ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,692 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I have heard a bit of Michael Nugent speaking and I think he's quite good to be honest but I don't think he claims to speak for all atheists, he does however speak on behalf of his organisation Atheist Ireland of which I'm not a member.

I have heard him in the past saying that he may be wrong in what he says and encourages people to question him and everything else they hear plus I generally hear him calling for a secular Ireland, not an Ireland that's biased towards atheists.

Ps, what's with the red shirt though? Has he no other ones?

I don't know why this hasn't been suggested before, but perhaps the powers that be so to speak on Boards could approach Michael with a view to doing an AMA, it might raise the public profile of atheism and secularism and could make for an interesting thread I'd say anyway.

Might finally find out what's the whole deal with the pineapple on the pizzas and the biscuits too, marigold or goldgrain, and just what is the deal with the red jumpers?

(I doubt it has much to do with them being particularly lucky :p)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Atheism can not be compared with a church in any way. Its just a non belief in god!!!!!!

LOL

Atheist Ireland can be compared to it though. That's the main reason why this thread exists. And in any case, I wasn't comparing the two myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,039 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Atheist Ireland can be compared to it though.

Bollocks.

Life ain't always empty.

Bollocks.

Organised absence of religion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,039 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Neither atheism nor AI is comparable in any way to a religion. It's just the usual tiresome nonsense from people who try to derail and stifle any worthwhile discussion in this forum.

84% rabble rabble
    atheism is just an ersatz religion, rabble rabble
    atheists have no morals, rabble rabble -

- Ironically it is Michael Nugent's counter to that last bollock above which is being dragged up in this thread. Religious people claim to get morals from "god", but atheists have no belief in a god and are yet moral, so they must derive their morals from somewhere and it is THAT which he was talking about. It's actually an interesting question and it's one of the most commonly held and endlessly reiterated fallacies about atheists in general and atheists in Ireland in particular.

Life ain't always empty.

Neither atheism nor AI is comparable in any way to a religion. It's just the usual tiresome nonsense from people who try to derail and stifle any worthwhile discussion in this forum.

Atheism is easily comparable to religion, it simply depends on the criteria one uses to compare them. Atheism is the yin so to speak to theisms yang. AI is an organisation the very same way as organised religion is... organised, for example the RCC is often referred to as a club, a club has a membership, AI has a membership. That's not tiresome nonsense, that's simply demonstrating that two different ideologies are indeed comparable.

84% rabble rabble
    atheism is just an ersatz religion, rabble rabble
    atheists have no morals, rabble rabble -

I'd never say atheists nor non-religious people have no morals, most people have morals, and amoralism isn't particularly indicative of a person's particular ideology. I'm sure we can all cite many examples of people who identify as religious and yet are completely amoral. It's a very black and white view of the world to define people's morals by their ideology, as many people are perfectly happy to be hypocritical when the need suits them, claiming that they are fighting for 'the greater good'. The greater good of course being only what they see as the greater good for everyone else, and so in that respect, AI and the RCC are comparable again - AI wants to end superstition in society, the RCC wants to foster superstition in society. Which is for the greater good? Depends upon who you ask.

- Ironically it is Michael Nugent's counter to that last bollock above which is being dragged up in this thread. Religious people claim to get morals from "god", but atheists have no belief in a god and are yet moral, so they must derive their morals from somewhere and it is THAT which he was talking about. It's actually an interesting question and it's one of the most commonly held and endlessly reiterated fallacies about atheists in general and atheists in Ireland in particular.

As commonly held and endlessly reiterated fallacies go about religious people and religious people in Ireland in general, not all religious people claim to get their morals from a deity, or the Bible, or the Catechism for that matter. Michael is countering a point in that instance that nobody has made. The point he should be countering is that people have no right to impose their morality upon other people, but then that wouldn't bode well for his organisation which seeks to impose the morality of atheism upon people, and in particular Irish people.

Two sides of the same coin really, and one of the reasons why AI hasn't really gained any traction in Ireland is because non-religious people don't care to identify as atheist, and are even more averse to the idea of anti-theism. They're very much a live and let live bunch and to each his (or her) own, as was witnessed in the recent referendum. For most people in Irish society, we have our morals, not necessarily derived from either atheism or theism, but from our own individual morality, which contributes to the common greater good for all, and not just the clubs that would have them as a member.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 antitheist1

Atheism is easily comparable to religion, it simply depends on the criteria one uses to compare them. Atheism is the yin so to speak to theisms yang. AI is an organisation the very same way as organised religion is... organised, for example the RCC is often referred to as a club, a club has a membership, AI has a membership. That's not tiresome nonsense, that's simply demonstrating that two different ideologies are indeed comparable.

I'd never say atheists nor non-religious people have no morals, most people have morals, and amoralism isn't particularly indicative of a person's particular ideology. I'm sure we can all cite many examples of people who identify as religious and yet are completely amoral. It's a very black and white view of the world to define people's morals by their ideology, as many people are perfectly happy to be hypocritical when the need suits them, claiming that they are fighting for 'the greater good'. The greater good of course being only what they see as the greater good for everyone else, and so in that respect, AI and the RCC are comparable again - AI wants to end superstition in society, the RCC wants to foster superstition in society. Which is for the greater good? Depends upon who you ask.

As commonly held and endlessly reiterated fallacies go about religious people and religious people in Ireland in general, not all religious people claim to get their morals from a deity, or the Bible, or the Catechism for that matter. Michael is countering a point in that instance that nobody has made. The point he should be countering is that people have no right to impose their morality upon other people, but then that wouldn't bode well for his organisation which seeks to impose the morality of atheism upon people, and in particular Irish people.

Two sides of the same coin really, and one of the reasons why AI hasn't really gained any traction in Ireland is because non-religious people don't care to identify as atheist, and are even more averse to the idea of anti-theism. They're very much a live and let live bunch and to each his (or her) own, as was witnessed in the recent referendum. For most people in Irish society, we have our morals, not necessarily derived from either atheism or theism, but from our own individual morality, which contributes to the common greater good for all, and not just the clubs that would have them as a member.

I can see why you would see AI as quasi religious, but this has little to do with my main point.AI should only represent members of its own organisation not all atheists. It should make that clear in interviews

AI are very pedantic about certain issues they argue about but choose to ignore the elephant in the room. They should only claim to represent their own members based on their own agreed set of values and aims and not all people who are atheists. The very idea of representing all atheists is absurd and AI should make that clear. Of course if AI can claim to be the voice of irish atheism it's great for them but it's disingenuous.

Seems to me if AI want to adopt humanist principals and claim them as Atheist they should just join the humanists. Atheism is just the non belief in god its nothing else. Nothing about morality nothing about secularism nothing about human rights just a simple non belief in god.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, michael nugent should have a small print disclaimer he reads out every time someone asks him for AI's stance on an issue.

speaks about morals at 9:45 minutes

he says "Atheisms is simply the belief ........................., that the universe is natural and we get our morality and empathy and our compassion and our sense fairness and justice, from naural evolution, we can be kind to each other without inventing supernatural reason for being so.".[/QUOTE]

Well no that's not what atheism is. It's nothing got to do with this at all. Morality empathy compassion justice .............. sounds like the sermon on the mount. Inventing supernatural reasons for morality no thanks. Attributing moral principals as something intrinsic to atheism no thanks either.

• Advertisement

yeah, michael nugent should have a small print disclaimer he reads out every time someone asks him for AI's stance on an issue.

Yes if he is going to make sweeping statements that atheism is about secularism, rationality, Morality, the value of scientific thinking, all laudable in their own way but way beyond what atheism actually is.

If AI is going to be so pedantic about religious belief should it not be pedantic about what atheism is not?

Yes if he is going to make sweeping statements that atheism is about secularism, rationality, Morality, the value of scientific thinking, all laudable in their own way but way beyond what atheism actually is.

If AI is going to be so pedantic about religious belief should it not be pedantic about what atheism is not?

See religious groups have linked their god to morality and moral principals to give themselves legitimacy now we see AI trying to link moral principals as intrinsic to atheism. Why. To give themselves legitimacy.

I can see why you would see AI as quasi religious, but this has little to do with my main point.AI should only represent members of its own organisation not all atheists. It should make that clear in interviews

AI are very pedantic about certain issues they argue about but choose to ignore the elephant in the room. They should only claim to represent their own members based on their own agreed set of values and aims and not all people who are atheists. The very idea of representing all atheists is absurd and AI should make that clear. Of course if AI can claim to be the voice of irish atheism it's great for them but it's disingenuous.

Seems to me if AI want to adopt humanist principals and claim them as Atheist they should just join the humanists. Atheism is just the non belief in god its nothing else. Nothing about morality nothing about secularism nothing about human rights just a simple non belief in god.

Oh I don't see AI as quasi religious at all. I see Michael as clearly an articulate guy who is passionate about what he believes is in society's best interests. I may not agree with all he says, but I can certainly see where he's coming from, and I think his enthusiasm, his work ethic, and his commitment to his cause is commendable. I also like the way he explains atheism in a way that an ordinary person who isn't a theologian can understand. That's all I've ever heard him do in interviews really. I've never heard him claim or even imply that he speaks on behalf of all people who identify as atheist in Ireland. That's not ignoring the elephant in the room, the reality is that there was never an elephant in the room in the first place (somebody check the fridge!).

I don't think AI are co-opting humanist or secularist principles at all either tbh. Nobody has an IP copyright on ideology. In that respect, AI can easily co-exist with the Humanist Association of Ireland, or many other organisations for that matter, because they share many goals in common, but they have their own individual aims too and they perhaps consider those principles too important to compromise on in order to amalgamate into one greater organisation.

I agree with you that Atheism itself is an absence of belief in a deity (to say you don't believe in something is a refusal to believe in it while acknowledging it's possible existence at the same time, and to the best of my knowledge, the word atheism is derived from an indifference to theism), but if Michael chooses to promote atheism alongside secularism and humanism as he sees them, well, more power to him I say. I may not agree with his perspective on some of the various ideologies and idealisms, but I can certainly admire his enthusiasm and his manner in which he helps and encourages people to ask questions of themselves and inform themselves about atheism, secularism, humanism and so on.

He isn't quite so feverent about his philosophies as some people are, and I believe personally that moderate discussion is what helps people's understanding, as opposed to the more craw-thumpy feverent idealist proponents of the modern Atheist movement. They're simply as head wrecking as that which they are opposed to. Another comparison that's easily made - extremists of any ideology do their cause no favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

No, as Hotblack Desiato has said, neither atheism nor AI are comparable to religion.

Firstly, with regard to AI, it is simply an organisation with members who share a common interest. If you're going to define religion this way or on the basis of your quote above because it's "organised" then this would mean that sports clubs, the women's institute and academic institutes are all religions on this basis. Clearly defining religion on the basis of organisation is insufficient. You are arguing a fallacy of composition here. Just because AI and, for example, the Catholic Church share one characteristic, organisation, does not mean that they are otherwise comparable in any way.

Secondly, atheism is also not comparable to religion. To use the old cliche, if atheism is a religion then off is a tv channel. Atheism has no creeds, no beliefs, no holy texts, no positive positions of any kind. It is not a belief system, a worldview, an ideology or a religion. It is simply the rejection of theistic claims. It is the answer to one question: Do you believe in God?

. I also like the way he explains atheism in a way that an ordinary person who isn't a theologian can understand.

Let me do that for all the simple ordinary people.

Atheism means not believing, the absence of belief, in god.

oldrnwisr wrote: »
    No, as Hotblack Desiato has said, neither atheism nor AI are comparable to religion.

Firstly, with regard to AI, it is simply an organisation with members who share a common interest. If you're going to define religion this way or on the basis of your quote above because it's "organised" then this would mean that sports clubs, the women's institute and academic institutes are all religions on this basis. Clearly defining religion on the basis of organisation is insufficient. You are arguing a fallacy of composition here. Just because AI and, for example, the Catholic Church share one characteristic, organisation, does not mean that they are otherwise comparable in any way.

Secondly, atheism is also not comparable to religion. To use the old cliche, if atheism is a religion then off is a tv channel. Atheism has no creeds, no beliefs, no holy texts, no positive positions of any kind. It is not a belief system, a worldview, an ideology or a religion. It is simply the rejection of theistic claims. It is the answer to one question: Do you believe in God?

Maybe that point deserves another thread but it's nothing to do with my point.

Atheist ireland should only claim to speak for its own members not all atheists.

Let me do that for all the simple ordinary people.

Atheism means not believing, the absence of belief, in god.

There's somewhat of a sizeable difference in audience figures between you explaining atheism on Boards.ie, and Michael explaining atheism in the national media.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Do womens rights organisations throw out the caveat at the start of every interview that they do no speak for all women? Do trade unions have to say they do not speak for every worker? Do homeless charities seeking rights and facilities for the homeless mention they are not speaking for all homeless people? Do childrens associations point out they might not be speaking for all children?

Why single out AI and no one else and demand they mention this caveat in every interview, when no one else has to? I have more respect for the public than that and expect when they see a representative for any organisation appear in the media that they know, without being spoon fed it like docile retards, that the person is representing their organisation and not every single person the label in the name of the organisation might actually apply to.
    but then that wouldn't bode well for his organisation which seeks to impose the morality of atheism upon people, and in particular Irish people.

By all means regale us with what the morality of atheism actually entails and how it is being imposed by his organisation. In fact in every interview I have recently heard from him he has set himself as being JUST as opposed to the establishment of atheism in schools, the Angelus or anything else as he is to anything religious being there.

oldrnwisr wrote: »

I did say though that the validity of the comparison is dependent upon what criteria one uses to compare them. I didn't define religion or atheism as a club though. I define them as ideologies. I defined AI and the RCC as clubs, and whatever ideology they espouse is merely an identifier of their club, or a commonality of their particular club.

So in that respect, the women's institute, academic institutes and so on, are all clubs. I don't think that's a composition fallacy, religion is nothing more than an ideology, and the various denominations are the clubs. Atheism is an ideology, and AI are the club, and there are many more clubs with atheist ideology as their commonality.

Atheism is an indifference to theism as I always understood it, as opposed to an outright rejection of theistic claims. The rejection of theistic claims is an anti-theist position if I'm reading that correctly?

I never liked that analogy, especially now we're in the digital age of enlightenment. So I would compare them thusly - atheism is the black and white television. Religion is the colour television. Atheism is nothing to get too excited about, whereas religion on the other hand, well there's lots to discover, so that's what makes it a pretty colourful experience, as opposed to the black and white of atheism. There's still plenty going on, but it's rather dull IMO in comparison to religion. The modern Atheist movement tries to pit science against religion in order to gain a following as though the two are diametrically opposed to each other, and in reality, they aren't. The two are quite compatible and one has been around as long as the other.

I think you're asking the wrong question there if you're expecting atheism is the correct answer. Indifference to claims of supernatural and existential powers is what I would see as a more accurate descriptor of atheism. I don't think personally that atheism has ever been the answer to any questions, and in truth IMO it's an ideology that presents more questions than answers for a curious mind. Religion was, and still is for many, an attempt to answer those questions. The modern upsurge in scientific inquiry is no bad thing either though. It's like the 3D version of religion's CRT... perhaps stretching the metaphor there :D

Why single out AI and no one else and demand they mention this caveat in every interview, when no one else has to? I have more respect for the public than that and expect when they see a representative for any organisation appear in the media that they know, without being spoon fed it like docile retards, that the person is representing their organisation and not every single person the label in the name of the organisation might actually apply to.

For someone with the ability to express themselves in eloquent terms, I would have expected better. I absolutely despise the use of that archaic term and it's connotations.

By all means regale us with what the morality of atheism actually entails and how it is being imposed by his organisation. In fact in every interview I have recently heard from him he has set himself as being JUST as opposed to the establishment of atheism in schools, the Angelus or anything else as he is to anything religious being there.

No regaling necessary, it's simply an absence of belief in a deity or deities, and one of AI's main aims is to eradicate superstitious beliefs in Irish society. I happen to possess the ability to separate Michael's personal philosophy from Atheist Ireland as an organisation, and so while Michael is opposed to established atheism in institutions, the net effect of Atheist Ireland's aims is that by ridding society of supernaturalism and superstition, Ireland becomes an atheist society by default.

I can't see that happening in my lifetime, but I can still admire Michael for his efforts. I'm not really keen on the aims of Atheist Ireland though. I like their ideas about secularism, just not so much the eradication of superstition and supernaturalism in Irish society. In any society there is a place for all ideologies, and none need be eradicated. I see that as an unnecessary imposition on society.

• Advertisement

For someone with the ability to express themselves in eloquent terms, I would have expected better. I absolutely despise the use of that archaic term and it's connotations.

Not sure what relevance that has to anything at all but thanks all the same. Just as soon as your linguistic pedantry becomes important to me in any way whatsoever, I will endeavor to remove the word from my lexicon.
    No regaling necessary

So you talk about someone trying to impose the "morality of atheism" but when asked to elaborate on what that means, you simply do not do so. Which to be honest is exactly what I expected given there IS no "morality of atheism" and I had no expectation whatsoever that you would be able to unpack the phrase.

So basically you are claiming they are trying to impose something, but that something is an empty term with no content, and no one is actually imposing anything here. So you shifted away from morality and started into something else you think they are attempting to impose....
    I like their ideas about secularism, just not so much the eradication of superstition and supernaturalism in Irish society. In any society there is a place for all ideologies, and none need be eradicated. I see that as an unnecessary imposition on society.

.........I am not sure if you are reading too much, or too little, into that Aim. But it is easily clarified. I have never had the impression that they are trying to eradicate it from all levels of Irish society. Nor have I met anyone before who took that reading of it.

Rather they wish to eradicate it from our halls of power, education and science. Public society. Our laws, our government offices, our schools, our curriculum in school, our labs. Places where it has no business being there. That is what secularism means.

It is not about going into every level of society and removing peoples religions, superstitions, unsubstantiated ideas and so forth from their day to day lives. If people want to be religious and so forth then that's great for them, good luck with all their hoping and wishful thinking and so forth. If you want to join a club and go to their club house and call the club house some special word like "church" and hand out free crackers..... all well and good. Knock yerselves out.

Nugent says time and time again that this is a pluralist society and he celebrates that. But there is a time and a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

Maybe that point deserves another thread but it's nothing to do with my point.

Atheist ireland should only claim to speak for its own members not all atheists.

I wasn't responding to your OP, I was responding to One Eyed Jack's point.

However, with regard to your OP, I don't see any evidence that Michael claims to speak for all atheists. Therefore I don't see the need for any explicit caveat. As Nozz points out, other organisations don't preface their comments on an issue with any such caveat. The main reason for this is that most people aren't so quick to make such a hasty generalisation. I mean most Catholics don't assume that David Quinn or Ronan Mullen or Bill Donohue (for the Americans reading) speak for all Catholics.

I did say though that the validity of the comparison is dependent upon what criteria one uses to compare them. I didn't define religion or atheism as a club though. I define them as ideologies. I defined AI and the RCC as clubs, and whatever ideology they espouse is merely an identifier of their club, or a commonality of their particular club.

So in that respect, the women's institute, academic institutes and so on, are all clubs. I don't think that's a composition fallacy, religion is nothing more than an ideology, and the various denominations are the clubs. Atheism is an ideology, and AI are the club, and there are many more clubs with atheist ideology as their commonality.

No, you compared them on the basis of both being organised, on which basis clubs would also be comparable to religions.

Atheism is not an ideology and thus is not comparable to religion. And by ideology I mean in the established definition of the word:

"The body of ideas reflecting the social needs and aspirations of an individual, a group, a class, or a culture. A system of beliefs or theories, usually political, held by an individual or a group. "

Atheism doesn't have any beliefs nor does it have any theories. If your answer to the question "Do you believe in a God(s)?" is no, then you're an atheist. That's it. There are no other associated beliefs, or views required.

Atheism is an indifference to theism as I always understood it, as opposed to an outright rejection of theistic claims. The rejection of theistic claims is an anti-theist position if I'm reading that correctly?

Well, no.

Atheism at its most basic level is a lack of belief in a god or gods. You can add additional qualifiers to say something more, like strong atheism, for example, which is a positive belief that there is no God. Rejecting theistic claims is not an anti-theism position. Any claim which does not meet its burden of proof ought to be rejected, that is just logic, its not anti-anything. Anti-theism is the specific positive belief that religion is dangerous and harmful and hurts individuals aswell as harming progress of society as a whole. Given the history of this country and its relationship with the Catholic Church and the impact of said church's actions on society, it's easy to see why the two might become confused.

I never liked that analogy, especially now we're in the digital age of enlightenment. So I would compare them thusly - atheism is the black and white television. Religion is the colour television. Atheism is nothing to get too excited about, whereas religion on the other hand, well there's lots to discover, so that's what makes it a pretty colourful experience, as opposed to the black and white of atheism. There's still plenty going on, but it's rather dull IMO in comparison to religion. The modern Atheist movement tries to pit science against religion in order to gain a following as though the two are diametrically opposed to each other, and in reality, they aren't. The two are quite compatible and one has been around as long as the other.

I think you're asking the wrong question there if you're expecting atheism is the correct answer. Indifference to claims of supernatural and existential powers is what I would see as a more accurate descriptor of atheism. I don't think personally that atheism has ever been the answer to any questions, and in truth IMO it's an ideology that presents more questions than answers for a curious mind. Religion was, and still is for many, an attempt to answer those questions. The modern upsurge in scientific inquiry is no bad thing either though. It's like the 3D version of religion's CRT... perhaps stretching the metaphor there :D

I would say that metaphor has been tortured rather than stretched. The B&W vs. colour analogy doesn't really hold up. For the comparison to be valid, both atheism and theism would both have to proffer ideas about life, the afterlife, God etc. and then a judgement could be made about the relative value, or colour of the views. However, atheism doens't proffer any such views and hence the comparison collapses.
    FWIW, religion isn't all that colourful because it has nothing of real value to offer. All it does is offer ideas, explanations not grounded in reason or evidence. As Richard Feynman said: "I think it's much more interesting to not know than to have answers which might be wrong."

I didn't suggest atheism as being the correct answer to anything. I just pointed out that if you answer no to the question of belief in God then you're an atheist, that's it.
    Indifference to religion/supernatural phenomena is ignosticism not atheism. A lot of atheists can be quite interested in religion and its impact on society.

Yes, religion is an attempt for some to answer questions but what good are answers if there's no evidence to show whether the answer is right or not? And whose answer should we listen to? Throughout human history people have believed in approximately 2700 deities from various belief systems. They can't all be right. They can, of course, all be wrong. Withholding belief in exchange for evidence is, IMHO, the only sensible position.

With regard to your ideas about atheism, perhaps this might help explain things better:

Atheism is the absence of a belief in god. Nothing more. If some atheists organise into a group to promote secularism scientific thinking humanistic moral principals they should do so on the basic that this is the groups values not atheistic values (which of course is ridiculous --atheistic values I mean)

Yet by intertwining these values with atheism, atheism Ireland actually is not being true to what atheism actually is. A little ironic no?

Not sure what relevance that has to anything at all but thanks all the same. Just as soon as your linguistic pedantry becomes important to me in any way whatsoever, I will endeavor to remove the word from my lexicon.

And in that same vein, just as soon as your opinion becomes worthy of entertaining in any way whatsoever, I will endeavour to take it seriously. In the meantime however, I shan't feel any need whatsoever to entertain what I perceive as incivility couched in meandering waffle.

In other words you can not actually answer the question I put to you so, as you have done on numerous threads in the past, you have found a way to throw the toys out of the pram and storm out without responding to anything. Fair enough. But if you ever manage to define the term you yourself introduced, this "morality of atheism" then by all means return and have another shot at it. But the "incivility couched in meandering waffle" came from you not me when you ignroed the points I was making in favor of pedantic and irrelevant commentary on the words I chose to use.

In the meantime I think the majority of us realize there is no "morality of atheism" any more than there are rules for how to score points in the decision not to play any sport at all. And as such the contention that Nugent and AI are imposing the morality of atheism on Irish Society is about as much hot air and bluster as the haughty departure under which you are now beating your hasty retreat.

In other words you can not actually answer the question I put to you so, as you have done on numerous threads in the past, you have found a way to throw the toys out of the pram and storm out without responding to anything. Fair enough. But if you ever manage to define the term you yourself introduced, this "morality of atheism" then by all means return and have another shot at it. But the "incivility couched in meandering waffle" came from you not me when you ignroed the points I was making in favor of pedantic and irrelevant commentary on the words I chose to use.

In the meantime I think the majority of us realize there is no "morality of atheism" any more than there are rules for how to score points in the decision not to play any sport at all. And as such the contention that Nugent and AI are imposing the morality of atheism on Irish Society is about as much hot air and bluster as the haughty departure under which you are now beating your hasty retreat.

There's no hasty retreat being beaten here, rather simply withdrawing from the discussion when I grow tired of your incessant waffle and precocious point scoring efforts that detract from any meaningful discussion. oldrnwiser as always opened up some great points for discussion, but as Hotblack lamented the shutting down of the discussion earlier, I civilly pointed out that I expected higher standards from yourself and it was you who threw your toys out of the pram in your usual indignant fashion. Fair enough. I'd have loved to continue the discussion with those posters who were interested in the discussion and not simply their own grandstanding ability, but I can't see that happening now and so I simply choose to withdraw from the discussion because I can't be arsed. As interested as I am in this discussion, I'm not so interested that I can be bothered willy waving about the place. It's unfortunate, but c'est la vie and que sera sera.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I remember reading this before on "New Atheism" and it seemed a bit prescriptive for me, as I understand New Atheism as simply Atheism with a voice. Curious what anyone else thinks?

http://www.iep.utm.edu/n-atheis/
    In spite of their different approaches and occupations (only Dennett is a professional philosopher), the New Atheists tend to share a general set of assumptions and viewpoints. These positions constitute the background theoretical framework that is known as the New Atheism. The framework has a metaphysical component, an epistemological component, and an ethical component. Regarding the metaphysical component, the New Atheist authors share the central belief that there is no supernatural or divine reality of any kind. The epistemological component is their common claim that religious belief is irrational. The moral component is the assumption that there is a universal and objective secular moral standard. This moral component sets them apart from other prominent historical atheists such as Nietzsche and Sartre, and it plays a pivotal role in their arguments because it is used to conclude that religion is bad in various ways, although Dennett is more reserved than the other three.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

simply withdrawing from the discussion when I grow tired of your incessant waffle and precocious point scoring efforts that detract from any meaningful discussion.

Except once again it was you doing this not me, with your petty linguistic pedantry that had nothing at all to do with the points I was making. And in fact my choice of the word was deliberate for reasons that appear to have gone over your head.

The points scoring is on your side alone, and because you do this you are parsing my responses through that narrative and accusing other of it rather than yourself. But the fact remains you threw out this contention that Nugent and AI were imposing "the morality of atheism" on Irish society and realizing that this is a nonsense term I merely asked you to expand upon it.

And you can't.

So you are now hastily retreating under this false narrative of you merely being disgusted at my tone or some such cop out excuse, rather than simply admit you invented an empty meaningless phrase, to feed an empty and meaningless contention, that you can not now substantiate in any way.

You claim to want "meaningful discussion", then put your money where your mouth is and at least define your terms when you use them rather than legging it. The toy throwing and indignation is yours alone. How can one have "meaningful discussion" with you if you throw out empty contentions and when asked to expand on a term you yourself introduced, you merely cop out of it? The termination of meaningful discussion happens there, not with me.

The point I made still stands, and you responded to nothing about it except a single word you personally do not like. The point being that our society is chock full of associations and institutions. And when they appear in the media they are not demanded to declare they are not talking for EVERY person their groups name might apply to. Yet the OP wishes this to be so for AI, that they go around injecting into every media appearance that they do not presume to speak for all atheists.

And despite your empty contention AI and Nugent are not imposing anything about Atheism on Irish Society. Rather they call for and celebrate a pluralist society but recognize where the borders of that should lie, such as for example, at the door of our halls of power and education and science. It is the introduction of another voice in a democratic discourse and nothing is being imposed on anyone, let alone "atheist morality" which itself is a non-entity of any kind existing, it seems, solely in your head.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Atheism Ireland lol
    I was talking them at one of their stands one Saturday afternoon, not one of them had an Irish accent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

I've no problem with some atheists organising as long as they only claim to speak for atheists in their organisation and they make that absolutely clear in all interviews. I am an atheist I don't believe in God, I have very little in common with the god dillusional, constant nit picking, religious bashing, obsessional science worshipping views of atheist Ireland.

When this group tries to speak for all atheists by defacto not making it clear that they only speak for atheists in their own organisation this to me is complete hypocrisy e.g an obsession by atheist Ireland against people putting down on the census they are Christians while on the other not making clear the limited mandate they actually have themselves.

To satisfy you they'd need to read out a disclaimer so long that they'd never be let on radio or television.

Advertisement