Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broken windscreen

• 13-04-2014 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi lads.

A truck was overtaking me and I got a smack of a stone causing a chip and a 9 inch crack on my windscreen.

I have fully comprehensive insurance with windscreen cover.

Has anybody any experience in making a claim of this nature?
    It won't affect my ncb but will it still increase the premium?

Basically is there any reason I shouldn't claim it?

I know the obvious option is to ring them but it's Sunday!

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Richard88 wrote: »
    Hi lads.

A truck was overtaking me and I got a smack of a stone causing a chip and a 9 inch crack on my windscreen.

I have fully comprehensive insurance with windscreen cover.

Has anybody any experience in making a claim of this nature?
    It won't affect my ncb but will it still increase the premium?

Basically is there any reason I shouldn't claim it?

Cheers

I made a claim a few years ago, it has no effect on your ncb, just tell your insurance company, they send out a form i think and you go get it fixed, job done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭amandaf675

you just ring them, they send someone, end of story :) Doesnt affect for 1 claim a year

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

You need to ask your insurer...not boardsies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

I had similar issue twice so far.

Went to local windscreen replacement facility, windscreen replaced, all the paperwork done by them as well. All I needed to do was a signature on a form provided by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Richard88

MidlandsM wrote: »
    You need to ask your insurer...not boardsies.

Yeah.
    They're closed on a Sunday but a lot of windscreen repairers are open.

If the opinions were to not bother claiming then I would be looking for a place to get it fixed now before it gets worse.

But if it's worth claiming then ill wait, I don't really care if it gets worse! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭amandaf675

If you ring them tomorrow, they would probably have someone out tuesday to your house to fix it or you can bring it to them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

joujoujou wrote: »
    I had similar issue twice so far.

Went to local windscreen replacement facility, windscreen replaced, all the paperwork done by them as well. All I needed to do was a signature on a form provided by them.

Same for me. Just make sure that they guys who do it put your wipers back on correctly. Mine weren't aligned properly afterwards, and were slapping the A pillars. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,295 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Be very careful about which windscreen replacement company you go to. You should check your policy or ring your insurance company first as they most likely have a preferred windscreen replacement company that they deal with.

Getting it replaced by a different company could mean they will not cover the full cost or you may have to pay for it yourself up front and then claim it back from your insurance company. The reason they have a preferred company is because they get a discount from them for sending business their way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Richard88 wrote: »
    Yeah.
    They're closed on a Sunday but a lot of windscreen repairers are open.

If the opinions were to not bother claiming then I would be looking for a place to get it fixed now before it gets worse.

But if it's worth claiming then ill wait, I don't really care if it gets worse! :)

But you have the policy documents? It's quite normal for comprehensive policies to provide free glass cover without affecting your NCB, but check your policy anyway.
    Cover may also be limited in value if you don't use one your insurer's approved windscreen repairers. E.g AXA will limit to €250 to an unapproved repairer but "unlimited" to an approved one.

Note that a glass claim will still be recorded as a claim against your policy even if your NCB is unaffected and will be disclosed should you change insurer. I don't know if it will affect any future policy much though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Claim for it. No effect on insurance.
    Couple of things to watch out for.
    If it's a new car, I would insist on a genuine screen from the manufacturer - I believe they will cover it if you really push them.
    Secondly, If you have rain sensing wipers, be very careful. Demonstrate that they are indeed working before you allow them near the car and check function afterwards. Some cars need a little gel patch replaced that seals the sensor to the screen. Alot of aftermarket guys wont do this.
    I wouldn't call myself am awkward customer but I had a repair guy call to house with new screen.
    Mentioned the auto wipers. Ah they fail after a year or 2 was his response. I told him to satisfy himself that they were 100% working and that I wanted them 100% working after. He tested it with spray can and found it working.
    He then pulled new screen out of van, showed me tiny mark on screen and said he didn't want to fit it, put it back in van and cleared off.
    Strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I had 3 windscreen claims in period of 3 years, and my insurer didn't say anything. Premium was not increased. NCB were held.

However all claimes are listen on NCB statement I receive every year.

Advertisement