Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Engine swap from 1.6 to 1.8

• 26-09-2011 2:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi there, Few days ago my Honda integra 1.6 Engine blew up. So i bought other one the 1.8 typeR engine. Allready in a car. My question is, do i have to inform Motor tax and Insurance company, or can i leave it like it is?
    And also, how much would i get charged insurance since i got bigger engine? - 0 NCB, 1year and 4 months licence, 22 years old.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Hi there, Few days ago my Honda integra 1.6 Engine blew up. So i bought other one the 1.8 typeR engine. Allready in a car. My question is, do i have to inform Motor tax and Insurance company, or can i leave it like it is?
    And also, how much would i get charged insurance since i got bigger engine? - 0 NCB, 1year and 4 months licence, 22 years old.

Yes you do need to inform your insurance and also the Motor taxation office, I also think that for both you will need to get an engineers write up on it for the insurance usually. There will also be NCT implications and unless its done properly the car will probably fail, those Honda's are a dime a dozen so you'd be aswell off to scrap the body and just get a new car. Back in the late 1990's my father done something similar except it involved changing out the engine for a Diesel engine and when the NCT came in most of those mutant cars were destined for the crusher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

seriously?

You're going to have to change a lot more than just the engine and you'll have to inform the insurance company and revenue.
    not worth it in the slightest, I'd doubt you getting insured on a real type r with the lack of NCB so I'd say a put together one is definitely off the cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 richard1989

Yea thats weird. Even if i swap that engine 4 civic VTI engine 1.6 vtec, is it still gona be like incredebly dare insurance?
    I was shocked when i got quote here about 2385 euros for my car. I aint Irish, im foreign, so didnt know insurance could be so dare and realy looks for engine size.
    My country doesn't give a **** about engine size, Male or female. Price is on car. If you have something like porsche, then obviosly insurance price gona higher then 2000.
    Friend of mine running mitsubishi eclipse 3.0 v6 engine, and insurance costs only 80euros per year for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Changing the engine to something other than the standard is going to cause you way more trouble than its worth being honest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

Stinicker wrote: »
    Yes you do need to inform your insurance and also the Motor taxation office, I also think that for both you will need to get an engineers write up on it for the insurance usually. There will also be NCT implications and unless its done properly the car will probably fail, those Honda's are a dime a dozen so you'd be aswell off to scrap the body and just get a new car. Back in the late 1990's my father done something similar except it involved changing out the engine for a Diesel engine and when the NCT came in most of those mutant cars were destined for the crusher.

There are no NCT implications once the new engine is sound emissions wise. The NCT couldn't care less if he shoehorned a marine diesel under the bonnet once it passed the same emissions test the original engine was subject to.
    So i bought other one the 1.8 typeR engine ... 0 NCB, 1year and 4 months licence, 22 years old.

Eh, good luck with that. I changed engine from a 1.3 to 1.0 recently and was told there wasn't a chance the policy would come down in price, and that I'd have to get an engineers report filled out. I can't imagine what they'd have said if I went the other way :pac:

Tax wise, you need an extended version of the usual form, RF111. This needs a garage stamp just to say that they can see the engine is what you say it is. This is the easy part, it's the insurance company that will be your biggest problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 richard1989

Eh, good luck with that. I changed engine from a 1.3 to 1.0 recently and was told there wasn't a chance the policy would come down in price, and that I'd have to get an engineers report filled out. I can't imagine what they'd have said if I went the other way

Well thats a real good proof of that - Insurance company are ripping people off financialy. I realy wonder what they would say if you went other way ;D.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Eh, good luck with that. I changed engine from a 1.3 to 1.0 recently and was told there wasn't a chance the policy would come down in price, and that I'd have to get an engineers report filled out. I can't imagine what they'd have said if I went the other way

Well thats a real good proof of that - Insurance company are ripping people off financialy. I realy wonder what they would say if you went other way ;D.
    The 1litre engine would probably be more of liability due to the slowness of it for overtaking etc. and that bracket tends to attract the younger higher risk drivers and really until you go over 25 insurance will be pretty expensive no matter what you do.

Advertisement