Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Not a happy bunny

2»

Comments

A new seal for the injector sorted that

I wasn't far off :) Diesel weep is a diesel weep :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Richard - Do you think the seller was aware of clutch issues? If so how would he have known?

RoverJames wrote: »
    I wasn't far off :) Diesel weep is a diesel weep :D

You couldn't mistake the smell of diesel either...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

BostonB wrote: »
    Also Clutch smells very different, quite distinctive. I seem to remember.

How would he know that? Considering the OP and his mechanic couldn't tell.

I personally know very little about cars, engines. My mech can only check so much without getting it up onto ramps and giving it a good once over. We both took it for a spin. Didnt notice any sound, smell, screech from the clutch. I would hazard a guess and say that the screeching started after I clocked up about 700 mile on it, 90% would be on the motorway.

Is it possible that lube or oil was put on the clutch to keep it screech free for a few days. That probably sounds stupid but you get what I mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

BostonB wrote: »
    Richard - Do you think the seller was aware of clutch issues? If so how would he have known?

The dealer did mention that he used the car himself for a week or so. He had a child seat fitted in the rear when I viewed it.

I could be wrong on all of this, but I don't think a clutch can slip intermittently. It starts to slip and get worse. You don't need a car on a ramp to check the clutch for slip.

I think if oil gets near a clutch it ruins it.

You could easily burn out a clutch in a few minutes if its abused. Not that you did but its possible. Also riding the clutch or towing something heavy would be hard on a clutch. You'd notice it on hills, hill starts, pulling off in 2nd, or with the handbrake on.

Maybe I'm wrong.

Some info here...
    http://www.automotive-clutches.com/basic_clutch_info.html

The dealer did mention that he used the car himself for a week or so. He had a child seat fitted in the rear when I viewed it.

I don't think that matters. You'd have noticed it on your test drive. I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

I personally know very little about cars, engines. My mech can only check so much without getting it up onto ramps and giving it a good once over. We both took it for a spin. Didnt notice any sound, smell, screech from the clutch. I would hazard a guess and say that the screeching started after I clocked up about 700 mile on it, 90% would be on the motorway.

Is it possible that lube or oil was put on the clutch to keep it screech free for a few days. That probably sounds stupid but you get what I mean.
    I think a slipping cluch would be hard to mask. I'm not sure but you used to be able to adjust cluches before, but I would be confident that nearly all cluches are self adjustable nowadays. It looks like you were just unfortunate Richard tea, seems like a whole lot of trouble for the dealer to go to if he were to fool you into buying a car with a slipping cluch.
    If he knew the cluch was slipping or on the way out, I would imagine that he would get it repaired at cost price, and then advertise the car "with a brand new cluch" and add the few hundered € on to the sale price of the car to re-coup the outlay of the repair on the cluch.
    Well, thats what I would have done, if I was a dealer who knew, but who knows.
    Anyway, no harm in writing a letter and try to get him to meet you at least half way.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭1867IE

A clutch, even in 2010 car from the showroom, is regarded as a wear and tear item.

Hypothetically, I could take a 2010 Focus for a test drive and if I tried I could drive it back to the showroom needing a new clutch.

Ok, you have the car three weeks, but how log has it been in service before that?

As with tyres, brake pads etc, it will need to be replaced at some stage. Life expectancies will vary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭znv6i3h7kqf9ys

Its a Peoguet 407. 95,000 miles, 2005
    OK I think the clue is right here. The car has 95,000 miles. Did you check if the clutch had ever been replaced? If not I'm afraid this is clear cut. It is not unreasonable to expect a clutch to go on a french car with this mileage so I'd say no comeback

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭1867IE

OK I think the clue is right here. The car has 95,000 miles. Did you check if the clutch had ever been replaced? If not I'm afraid this is clear cut. It is not unreasonable to expect a clutch to go on a french car with this mileage so I'd say no comeback

I fully agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Michael 09

OP did you test drive the car?

Advertisement