Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards soccer forum adopt a team for the season

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Hahaha! nice charlie, Im defo in. Ill go home and look into them and pass on anything I find. I'm basically in cos of Messi, not gonna lie! And Batistuta!

Good man Neil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Sites like Bet365 stream all kinds of obscure games from South America.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Great idea. The team crest in our sigs should be mandatory as well.

Excellent! I like it!

Indeed, or GTFO will be required.

In fact, something should be added to the charter requiring support. :D

Edit: Done, and done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Trilla wrote: »
    lol why not!

Becaus ewe dont want to and what would you lot do without your soapbox to climb up on in every thread it can be shoehorned into if everyoe here suddenly did start supporting the EL. Stop trying to force people to support the EL.

On topic, not sure if this is in the thread somewhere and I missed it, but why just for the season? Spend the time and effort to pick a team for life that can have it's own sticky and we can all get behind (and maybe buy a jersey like Xavi said) long term.

Plus we can all pick them in a FM game and see who does the best evidnece needed:))

I also think this should be given serious debate and not just picked because the teams has a curse on their crest or jersey.

A lower level European team would be my choice. For one ,people might actually find themselves in the vicinity at various times and be able to catch a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

The problem with selecting the MLS (or lower in the States) is that their season is coming to a close.

Otherwise I'd suggest the Portland Timers from the USL 1st Division, who has this mad bas*ard as a mascot until this season:

jim_cover.jpg

He used to bring a chainsaw into the ground, and chop up wood!

They don't start back until April next year though...:(

Now I see it charlie...u NOB!!

Now I see it charlie...u NOB!!

I am on Youtube right now, looking at a load of NOBs running around, playing with eachother, and their balls. :D

Ah no, in all seriousness, I never suggested Newel's because of the whole NOB thing, it was just a pleasant coincidence. Don't be deterred becase of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

gimmick wrote: »
    Leyton Orient
    lol.

I nominate FC St Pauli from the German 2. Bundesliga.

Why?

Because they have nutso fans, who don't subscribe to the "normal" German right-wing neo-nazi type of person you'd usually associate with German Football. St. Pauli became the first team in Germany to officially ban rightwing, nationalist activities and displays in its stadium in an era when fascist inspired football hooliganism threatened the game across Europe. It is located in the red-light district of Hamburg, so a trip to a game would be good fun.

These fans mean business, their most recent appearance in the top flight was a single season cameo in 2001-02, followed by two successive relegations. With the club almost bankrupt again and the less lucrative Regionaliga Nord (III) looming the club began its fundraising activities, the so called Retteraktion. They printed t-shirts with the club's crest surrounded by the word Retter (rescuer/saviour) and more than 140,000 were sold within 6 weeks. They also organized a benefit game against Bayern Munich to try and help rescue the club.

St. Pauli opens its home matches with AC/DC's Hells' Bells, and after every home goal Song 2 by Blur is played, turning the stadium into a giant mosh pit.

The club hosted the 2006 FIFI Wild Cup, a tournament made up of unrecognized national football teams like Greenland, Tibet and Zanzibar. They participated as the "Republic of St. Pauli."

Also, this is cool

st_pauli.jpg

• Advertisement

+1 for St.Pauli.

Great post Des. Really really good. How'd ya find out about that!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

we should try and get a team that plays on tv as well , We could actually organise the soccer beers to clash with the chosen teams game. Arrive to a pub with about 20 people wearing a relatively unknown teams jersey. Would be quiet funny. Anyway I would like to nominate a Scottish team. Patrick Thistle. We could even go to the games :D

+1 for St Pauli .

Guys , as some of you know I used to have a season ticket for Celtic. These guys have massive links to Celtic as well.

Great post Des. Really really good.
    I pinched most of it from Wiki tbh, but I've been following the fortunes of St Pauli for a while.
    How'd ya find out about that!?

...ever since an old gf of mine visited Hamburg and brought me home one of the Skull & Crossbones Pin Badges (I collect football pinbadges), I thought it was cool so looked up and read all about them.

I think the club and it's fans stand for an awful lot of good things.

Sarge wrote: »
    +1 for St Pauli .

Guys , as some of you know I used to have a season ticket for Celtic. These guys have massive links to Celtic as well.

Fúck that then, St Pauli is out for me.

*throws pin badge in the bin*

:p:pac:

And lads.

It's NOT Saint Pauley.

It's FC San Powl-i

I have a st pauli jersey :D

Good post Des, might be tough arguing against stuff like Red Light visits. :)
    Sarge wrote: »
    +1 for St Pauli .

Ah, the spanner in the works. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

the thing about St. Pauli though is that it has massive support throughout Germany and the rest of Europe even. i'd have heard more about St.Pauli than i would have about most teams in the Bundesliga.

Theyre still minnows so its fine though. But yes the spanner in the works!! :pac:

this is years ago , but i was at this game :)http://www.talfanzine.com/fcstpauli.htm

St. Pauli are also known for their close links with many other foreign clubs and enjoy a particularly close friendship with Celtic with St. Pauli fans attending Celtic games on the continent when Celtic play UEFA competitions. St Pauli flags and scarves are frequently seen on display at Celtic Park and every year Celtic supporters arrive in Hamburg for the annual St Pauli - Celtic Festival.

Good post Des, might be tough arguing against stuff like Red Light visits. :)

Preceded by Song 2 mosh stand! Sounds like serious craic!!

csc-fahne.gif

+1 for St. Pauli

• Advertisement

Preceded by Song 2 mosh stand! Sounds like serious craic!!

Mosh pit with German hookers ftw!

Its like supporting the good in celtic without all the muppethead scobes who get into celtic to be "mad" (not a dig at real Celtic fans but everyone knows the type Im talking about here)

Mosh pit with German hookers ftw!

Unbeatable! Road trip!

We should start a vote after a couple more pages. When people have given their opinions and ideas. I think st pauli would be a great acquisition for us to support. Like I said we could arrange a few soccer beers while we get a game in :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

Rangers?
    Kilmarnock?
    Hearts?
    St. Mirren?

• Advertisement

the thing about St. Pauli though is that it has massive support throughout Germany and the rest of Europe even. i'd have heard more about St.Pauli than i would have about most teams in the Bundesliga.
    But, they are NEVER mentioned on Boards.ie Soccer forum ;)
    Pure Cork wrote: »
    Rangers?
    Kilmarnock?
    Hearts?
    St. Mirren?

Not a Scottish team.

Was gonna suggest one of the Prague teams but reealised upon further reading that they have a Celtic/Rangers esque monopoly of dominance over that league.

**Pretends to log in under a new account**

+1 for St.Pauli

:)

Des wrote: »
    Not a Scottish team.
    Fair enough.

Chemnitzer FC
    Real Zaragoza

Are national teams eligible?

Are people going to give actual reasons, or just put up random team names?

Plymouth Gargoyle.

Sydney FC (screw you and your Perth "Glory" Xavi :p)

Manchester City.

Are people going to give actual reasons, or just put up random team names?
    Random team names.

Hamburger SV

Hamburger SV

NO!

Was gonna suggest one of the Prague teams but reealised upon further reading that they have a Celtic/Rangers esque monopoly of dominance over that league.

Dukla Prague FTW!

2nd division side. Illustrious history, former army team of Czechoslovakia, dissolved and reconstituted a number of times.

Celtic beat them in the SF on the way to the 1967 European Cup.

They've even been immortalised in song!

NO!
    Why not? They have nice jerseys.

TSG 1899 Hoffenheim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Shelbourne or Wayside Celtic.

• Advertisement

Why not? They have nice jerseys.

TSG 1899 Hoffenheim

Come on dude, stop acting the maggot.

These guys, with their shamrock, surely have a link to Ireland :confused:

panathinaikosbadge.jpg

Also, these are their fans at a basketball game, imagine what the football would be like. (watch the full vid)

Panathinaikos ftw.

Come on dude, stop acting the maggot.

What's wrong with TSG 1899 Hoffenheim?

What's wrong with TSG 1899 Hoffenheim?

Unless The Hoff is their manager, then no.

picHasselHoff-747711.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Yeah i was thinking about St Pauli earlier but didn't bother mentioning them cos of the whole Celtic link. I really wouldn't want them as the chosen club. It would get fairly tedious after a while with all the Celtic heads.

These guys, with their shamrock, surely have a link to Ireland :confused:

In 1918 (or 1919?) Panathinaikos chose the shamrock, or Trifylli as it's known in Greece, as proposed by Mihalis Papazoglou.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,578 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Whats the point in picking st Pauli if they already have a huge link with Celtic? Surely the teams need to be somewhat more obscure

My proposal is Go Ahead Eagles from the Dutch Eerste Divisie

- Cool name
    - They play in a country where everyone speaks English (Banter between the forum of the club and boards.ie)
    - The fact that a few hundred (or more) fans in a different country have decided to start supporting the team will really be a novelty for the club
    - Games kick off at regular times for us
    - Season follows similar structure to when the boards.ie forum is busiest
    - They really do seem to be minnows in the literal meaning of the word.

In 1918 (or 1919?) Panathinaikos chose the shamrock, or Trifylli as it's known in Greece, as proposed by Mihalis Papazoglou.

No way, I thought all teams with a shamrock in their crest had a link to Ireland.

Weird.
    Papazoglou.

HELLOOOOO DAVE!!!

papa-lazarou.jpg

KevIRL wrote: »
    My proposal is Go Ahead Eagles from the Dutch Eerste Divisie
    Interesting
    - Cool name
    :eek: No it isn't
    - They play in a country where everyone speaks English (Banter between the forum of the club and boards.ie)
    ...when the Dutch lads rack up fifty posts in AH and apply to Soccer, is it?
    - They really do seem to be minnows in the literal meaning of the word.

WHAT?

These guys have FISH playing for them?

Minnow

Now, that I could support.

• Advertisement

TSG 1899 Hoffenheim

At the beginning of the 1990s, the club was an obscure local amateur side playing in the eighth division Baden-Württemberg A-Liga.

Recent years:
    Year Division Position
    1999-2000 Verbandsliga Nordbaden (V) 1st ↑
    2000-01 Oberliga Baden-Württemberg (IV) 1st ↑
    2001-02 Regionalliga Süd (III) 13th
    2002-03 Regionalliga Süd 5th
    2003-04 Regionalliga Süd 5th
    2004-05 Regionalliga Süd 7th
    2005-06 Regionalliga Süd 4th
    2006-07 Regionalliga Süd 2nd ↑
    2007-08 2. Bundesliga (II) 2nd ↑
    2008-09 Bundesliga (I)