Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smokey after egr clean

• 11-09-2013 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi.

My previous story : https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056974917/1/#post85156468

My 1.9 diesel astra was sluggish and giving off a bit of smoke.

I got it serviced and used a bottle of fuel line cleaner and it passed the nct.

However this week it has gotten very smokey so I took the advice from my previous thread and cleaned the egr valve and the space where it connects to the engine, using carb cleaner and a cloth (the amount of sh1t in the egr valve was unreal)

Anyway I reconnected the egr valve and the started (perfectly with no smoke) even seems to be driving better.

The problem is now when I accelerate there is excessive, and I mean excessive black smoke.
    It is happening when the revs are between 1500 and 3000 revs(kind of as the turbo is kicking in) it seems to happen regardless of if I press the pedal hard or soft.

If I floor it I can see a huge cloud behind me...

Anybody any suggestion or advice??
    Also I should me to on iv started using dipetane also.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Did you clean the MAP sensor? You also may have splits in the turbo hoses.
    EGR's are just trouble in my opinion, many people just blank them off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Black smoke is excessive fuel. How's your air filter? It would be useful to have the OBD-II codes read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭sumo12

When cleaning EGR, you loosen soot & carbon etc. You cannot remove 100% of this from the valve and ports and some drops into intake. Also, you are increasing airflow into manifold by cleaning EGR, this will dislodge more carbon from intake and burn it off. Now you are seeing this being burnt off by the cat in the form of smoke. I wouldn't be too concerned about this in the short term, it should sort itself. If not, you have another issue, such as leaking turbo pipes, contaminated diesel, leaky injectors, dirty air filter as suggested above etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

sumo12 wrote: »
    When cleaning EGR, you loosen soot & carbon etc. You cannot remove 100% of this from the valve and ports and some drops into intake. Also, you are increasing airflow into manifold by cleaning EGR, this will dislodge more carbon from intake and burn it off. Now you are seeing this being burnt off by the cat in the form of smoke...

Good point. I suggest a couple of treatments of BG244K instead of dipetane - mighty stuff indeed.

As I said above, if your EGR was completely caked then your MAP will be the same and that sends a signal to the ECU.
    Clear it out (be extremely careful with it as its very sensitive - I used carb cleaner and a cotton bud to remove the dirt)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Richard88

Cheers lads.
    I'll try do that MAP sensor first, next option then is that fuel treatment and let it burn its self clear...
    The air filter is good
    It's been replaced about 1000 km ago!

If that fails it may be beyond my level of diy fixing!

Cheers

You should invest in a code reader. I have one and even though I paid about 100e for it, it paid itself off in less than a few months and I'm now in profit with it. Some garages charge 40e just for a diagnostics. Waste of money

bear1 wrote: »
    You should invest in a code reader. I have one and even though I paid about 100e for it, it paid itself off in less than a few months and I'm now in profit with it. Some garages charge 40e just for a diagnostics. Waste of money

And would that be useful even without the engine management light coming on?

Well im of the mind that if nothing pops up then I leave it alone :)
    But yes they can be useful. The one I have shows me the MAF's operating "flow" not sure how to call. The actual engine temp if you stat is knackered. It can show you your actual RPM etc.
    They are fairly useful machines. Plus I keep mine in the boot just in case something happens while I'm away from home. Saved me afew times when the car would go in Limp mode, cleared the faults and I could at least continue on my journey

Well if spent the last while cleaning that sensor. And boy was it bad:

1feh35.jpg

Next plan soo is that fuel line cleaner

• Advertisement

Take her for a spin and floor the ****e out of her in the lower down gears just to clear as much out of the engine. If you still notice the smoke then go for the cleaner. Failing that, check the hoses for splits

Advertisement