Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ariel Sharon "close to the end"

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

The important point, which seems to be lost on some posters, is that while he didn't achieve peace, he at least tried.

....when?

Sand wrote: »
    I think on balance he is no worse than Yasser Arafat. Both of them engaged in forms of conflict that were at best questionable, both of them failed to negotiate a lasting peace. Both of them need to be judged in the context of the other. Many welcomed and rejoiced in Arafats death. Many will welcome and rejoice in Sharon's.

Only one of them was colonising another peoples land, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Common sense would be looking at situations of conflict dispassionately and from the point of view of being a neutral observer. Assuming everything Israel does is wrong, and forgiving others more easily doesn't fit into that.

Logic does not often apply when dealing with Israel and it's leaders. When others do wrong against Israel, it's a a big deal, with big repercussions. When Israel does wrong it's no big deal. It ignores international law and does as it likes.

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

Sorry if this has been posted already, but I wanted to share the best obit that I've read of Sharon. It's by Max Blumenthal in the Nation.
    How Ariel Sharon Shaped Israel’s Destiny

In a bloody career that spanned decades, he destroyed entire cities and presided over the killing of countless civilians.

http://www.thenation.com/article/177883/how-ariel-sharon-shaped-israels-destiny#

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Sorry if this has been posted already, but I wanted to share the best obit that I've read of Sharon. It's by Max Blumenthal in the Nation.

Well, if anyone should be able to write an even-handed piece about anything involving Israel, it's Max Blumenthal.

"A curriculum to teach students about former Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, published by the Education Ministry in the wake of his death, likens the former Israeli leader to Moses and contains no mention of the controversial episodes in his life.
    The material, intended for fourth- to ninth-grade classes, also asks students to compare Peres’ eulogy of Sharon with King David’s lament for Saul and Jonathan"
    http://www.haaretz.com/news/.premium-1.568624

Bizarre, to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

....to be honest, yes, though perhaps remaining light on detail, and using the word "controversial" a lot. This, however, is a bit mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

Theres a major difference between omitting the negatives and idolising the man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Of course I do. How else would they prevent their kids from repeating the mistakes of the past. You said yourself he did dodgy things why shouldn't the israeli kids know the truth?

• Advertisement
Advertisement