Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Wasn't Doris a Kenny acquisition? Her and Downing in the same week......good riddance to her and her sugar lumps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Kirby wrote: »
    I read the rumour earlier and I don't believe it. Tax issues or not, he isn't going anywhere.

Or did Monaco get a letter about FFP??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Wasn't Doris a Kenny acquisition? Her and Downing in the same week......good riddance to her and her sugar lumps.

Comolli offered her £40,143.23 a week but thankfully it didn't get past the top brass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

..makes a poxy cut of tea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

To be fair, they were lovely lady lumps...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Does anyone what the savings on her wages are based on a yearly amortisation? Anyone reckon we could get a tea lady froma top 4 team or would she only want champions league?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

You can't blame Kenny for Doris. It was a Comolli signing. They're hardly going to trust tea lady recruitment to Kenny when he was only in a temporary position.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Damn club, treating people like this. Doris was a consummate pro, never moaned or grumbled !

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

RainMaker wrote: »
    So is that 60 goals extra for us this season now? :D

On that subject, I saw a few LFC types on twitter yesterday saying that they reckon LFC will get 90-100 goals in the league this season. I'd love to know what planet some of these people live on ffs. If we scored that amount of league goals, we would romp home with over 90 points. With idiots like that it's no wonder people refer to Liverpool fans as delusional at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Dickerty wrote: »
    Or did Monaco get a letter about FFP??

They were meant to move their HQ to the france mainland to pay the same tax as the other teams since they play in the french league.

Seems fair to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Another apparently from training today.

Ben Smith ‏@BenSmithBBC 5m
    Lots of smiles from Luis Suarez in the pictures of him training today.

BRyrOGcCMAAhsse.jpg:large

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Happy Suarez!

Anyone know what's up with RedandWhiteKop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Does anyone what the savings on her wages are based on a yearly amortisation? Anyone reckon we could get a tea lady froma top 4 team or would she only want champions league?

The Celtic Tea lady is available. Might cost a bit in compo but worth it! :P No youtube clips but here she is in action.

mrschimp.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Have to wonder what Ayre thinks about those Willian quotes from yesterday. We have a genuine chance of signing him, but the fans know it, and expect the money to be paid after the Mkhitaryan deal fell through and the ongoing wage culling exercise went into overdrive this summer.

I had a slight suspicion (as did many) that the Mkhitaryan deal was hinging on Suarez being sold, and the reports that there was never any genuine attempt to sign Costa could be construed as evidence that there is no major money available. My thinking on Wednesday, when our interest in Willian was very noticeably publicised in the English media, was that like the Costa deal, the club had made a target known intentionally to get the message to the fans that we are interested in high-level players. However, like Costa (who was about to sign a new deal at Atleti) we had little chance of signing Willian given our status, his club's demands, his inflated wages and the competition we'd face for him.

After yesterday's quotes, though, it looks like Ayre will face a huge backlash if we don't make a deal with Anzhi or match his wage demands. It's only a sneaking suspicion I have - for the record I do think there's money to spend - but if the reported interest in Willian from midweek was to keep fans happy after missing out on several first-choice targets, it could totally backfire. Even if it was genuine interest that was leaked, expectations are now raised among fans, and Ayre will be the face of the failure to sign him in the likely even that he goes elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

15wgo0nghp2p.gif

BRyuc2FCQAEtSAY.jpg:large

Opr

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

Tinfoil hat time. The Celtic tea lady and Jan Molby have never been seen in the same room together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

Tusky wrote: »
    Happy Suarez!

Anyone know what's up with RedandWhiteKop?

servers crashed whilst migrating accounts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

It looks like a few more players have refused to apologize over something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Is that fifty cent gif from Entourage?

Laughing at Turtle driving his Ferrari?

Quality show!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

RainMaker wrote: »
    So is that 60 goals extra for us this season now? :D

They could have been 60 better than us but now we're 60 better than them, so we're talking a 120 goal swing.

• Advertisement

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Have to wonder what Ayre thinks about those Willian quotes from yesterday. We have a genuine chance of signing him, but the fans know it, and expect the money to be paid after the Mkhitaryan deal fell through and the ongoing wage culling exercise went into overdrive this summer.

I had a slight suspicion (as did many) that the Mkhitaryan deal was hinging on Suarez being sold, and the reports that there was never any genuine attempt to sign Costa could be construed as evidence that there is no major money available. My thinking on Wednesday, when our interest in Willian was very noticeably publicised in the English media, was that like the Costa deal, the club had made a target known intentionally to get the message to the fans that we are interested in high-level players. However, like Costa (who was about to sign a new deal at Atleti) we had little chance of signing Willian given our status, his club's demands, his inflated wages and the competition we'd face for him.

After yesterday's quotes, though, it looks like Ayre will face a huge backlash if we don't make a deal with Anzhi or match his wage demands. It's only a sneaking suspicion I have - for the record I do think there's money to spend - but if the reported interest in Willian from midweek was to keep fans happy after missing out on several first-choice targets, it could totally backfire. Even if it was genuine interest that was leaked, expectations are now raised among fans, and Ayre will be the face of the failure to sign him in the likely even that he goes elsewhere.

On the main thrust of your argument that we are engaging in window dressing rather than actually trying to sign expensive players, I have similar sorts of suspicions, but not quite as cynical as you yet.

On the Willian quotes yesterday though, that is being overblown. His interview was very much keeping every option available. He said he liked Liverpool (as they were asked in the question) and also that there are many other great English teams, and that he liked the thought of playing in Spain and Italy as well. He could have been more vague really. It was far from the 'come and get me' plea that some people are making out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

Sappy404 wrote: »

I'd be shocked if we didn't have at least £25-30m net to spend during the rest of this window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Nuri Sahin; 5Live; Dickerty; Mike65 or others who seem to be happy with where we are going, do ye all disagree with this? It looks spot on to me. We need more ingenuity up front, but at the outset of this window we all knew a quality addition to CB and CM was needed. Are people really going to claim a successful window if neither materialises?
    :P
    I would rarely disagree with Kess and would even rarer disagree strongly with him.

On CB. We spend a lot of time here 'creaming' ourselves over having a balance at CB, LCB and RCB. It would be an ideal situation to have 2 CBs to compliment each other and with the ability to tackle on their strongest side. I dont necessarily agree with the LCB+RCB idea. There have been lots of sucessful sides that have had 2 RCBs in the team and i imagine a few also with 2 LCBs also. The important thing is the quality of both and then their ability to mesh together to form a strong unit.
    Do we need an upgrade in CB? Certainly.
    Is it likely? Right now i am doubtful.
    I would have no great objection to a Toure/Agger pairing for the season. Toure looked solid at the Celtic match to me but in fairness Celtic werent exactly taxing to our defence.
    Personally i would like an upgrade on both but i would be fairly content with a Sakho/Agger pairing or any permutation of the 3.
    After that, though, i would have concerns. Skrtel just doesnt look comfortable with the split CBs Rodgers likes for playing the ball out of defence and Wisdom simply isnt ready as the Celtic game showed and Kelly even less so.
    Grade D so far as,imo, Toure is an upgrade on Carra(for this system) but another CB is needed as a potential starter.

On CM. I think we will see a different Lucas this year. He looked mobile and 'up for it' at the Celtic game. Having Toures increased mobility over Carras and a higher line to reduce the space between backs and midfield and midfield and attack will reduce the distance he will have to travel and increase the ability of the other 2 midfielders to cover back. If he is injured/rested/suspended Allen can do an adequate job of filling in but long term isnt a solution to this position. I would like a good backup here but i dont think FSG see it as a priority, a wide forward seemingly is now the priority.
    Grade D again here.

I would qualify what i have said above, though. We probably will have a max of 52-53 games this season with no European travels. While this is an advantage in terms of fitness/freshness, there will also be less opportunity for fringe players to show their ability, like Downing, Wisdom and Henderson last year did to break back into the first team.
    Also, in terms of injuries/suspensions, we will be able to see first hand the desire of players to become starters and willingness to adapt their games for the good of the team. Quite a lot of players have broken into the starting lineups of teams whom you wouldnt have imagine would have the ability to perform but did fantastic jobs.

So i am not happy if we dont get players in for those positions but i will wait to the end of the window before i judge the business the club has done.

Squad numbers for this season

999095_10151924476262573_1062659729_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,714 ✭✭✭Cartman78

So, if we manage to hang onto Suarez and get some sort of exotic marquee signing on board alongside the other new squad fodder, and having cleared out the likes of Carroll, Downing etc., can this transfer window be classed as a success?

I'm not really sure tbh....can't remember ever being this nervous/tense before the start of a season. A couple of defeats early doors and I fear we could implode, but if we make a decent start and get the confidence flowing the sky (aka top 4 or 5) is the limit.

Hammering Stoke tomorrow would be a good start, but you couldn't rule out a nervy win, frustrating draw or traumatic defeat either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

mayordenis wrote: »
    They could have been 60 better than us but now we're 60 better than them, so we're talking a 120 goal swing.

our year

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

untitled.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Cartman78 wrote: »
    So, if we manage to hang onto Suarez and get some sort of exotic marquee signing on board alongside the other new squad fodder, and having cleared out the likes of Carroll, Downing etc., can this transfer window be classed as a success?

More like a stepping stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

Liverpool EchoLivEchoLFC 39s
    #Suarez reinstated in #LFC squad following positive talks with Brendan Rodgers. Full story online asap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Does anyone think that they maybe just looking at Pap for half a season, see how the injury goes?

Toure and Agger for half a season would be ok.

I really don't think a CM will come in at all. I'd love a Diame for those games where we looked over run but he loves Allen too much and Lucas and Gerrard will start every game possible.

Another attacking threat is essential.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    So we won't have had a good window if we don't get them?

Depends on who is brought in. As I said a couple of days ago, bringing in Willian and Sakho (or Papa if his injury issues are behind him), would be an excellent bit of business that would greatly strengthen the starting XI which is something many people including yourself have said is essential which I agree with.

Finding decent cover for Lucas on top of that would be the cherry on top of the cake, but I sense Rodgers feels having Henderson and Allen covering is sufficient and this is something I disagree with.

opr wrote: »
    BRyrOGcCMAAhsse.jpg:large

And then they bid 40m+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

What's up with Enrique's hair in those pics?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

So far we should make the target average of 435 posts a day and kickoff is not until tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Is this thread the busiest football thread on boards?

Easily

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Coutinho: Where I need to improve

9272__3273__coutinho263_520ba385ec04d108445816.jpg

Philippe Coutinho insists he heads into 2013-14 high on confidence after a sparkling pre-season for Liverpool – but outlined the areas he believes he needs to improve upon over the coming campaign.

The Brazilian picked up where he left off last campaign this summer, striking three goals over the course of pre-season and turning in a number of impressive displays.

Nonetheless, despite now being firmly regarded as one of the Barclays Premier League's leading talents, Coutinho feels there are aspects of his game that require work.

He told Liverpoolfc.com: "We had a good pre-season and worked very hard and I believe we have prepared well for the beginning of the season.

"I feel I have prepared well physically but I personally have to improve all the time. That is always in my mind. I hope we have a good start to the season for the team and keep improving throughout.

"I think I have to think much faster, improve tactically and assist more when marking other players. I think I improved this during pre-season and hopefully will be able to apply them throughout the season."

Since joining Liverpool from Inter Milan in the January transfer window, Coutinho believes there are facets of his game that have improved.

"I think I have changed my style of game quite a bit and I have improved a lot defensively," he explained.

"There are many things that I try to improve because the football here is played differently - like thinking faster - but I think I have improved my style of play since arriving here."

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/142630-coutinho-where-i-need-to-improve

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

mayordenis wrote: »

Is that a nett swing? Have you taken year on year goal inflation into account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Pedalstool

I see the Cissokho deal is back on, has anyone watched him lately? What sort of player is he these days? He was pretty good with Lyon.

If we get Willian, a CB and Cissokho on top of keeping Suarez and the other signings, is that a good window for the club?

https://twitter.com/NotTooXabi_/status/368103061924769792

Saw this last night, not ashamed to say I LOL'd.

@NotTooXabi_
    Meanwhile, Pacheco, Coates, Assaidi & Flanagan wander through the #LFC wilderness & stumble upon Adam Morgan:

BRvDyNcCcAAYZQZ.jpg

• Advertisement

Does anyone think that they maybe just looking at Pap for half a season, see how the injury goes?

Exactly my take on things. We obviously need a new CB, but 4 months with our current selection isn't the end of the world. If Agger and Skrtel get back to the form of a couple of seasons ago, and then Toure, who has looked pretty stellar in pre-season (yes I know), and then Wisdom/Coates as 4th choice, it could be a lot worse.

Blanc has said Sakho requested PSG to make him available for a transfer or loan deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Blanc has said Sakho requested PSG to make him available for a transfer or loan deal.

We love our loans. We should be all over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,275 ✭✭✭slingerz

Sakho would be a good addition to the pool. Still think its a 'tough' centre back like Papa thats needed alongside someone like Agger or Sakho.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,275 ✭✭✭slingerz

Knex. wrote: »
    We love our loans. We should be all over this.

we're hardly going to send him on to Napoli!

Nuri Sahin wrote: »

Read this week that PSG prefer to loan him, as while he won't play much this season he's in their long-term plans.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

slingerz wrote: »
    Sakho would be a good addition to the pool. Still think its a 'tough' centre back like Papa thats needed alongside someone like Agger or Sakho.

Papa has the added bonus of being able to cover DM as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Willian Top Rated Player in CL.
    BassTunedToRed Andrew Beasley 16h
    Willian was top rated player in the 2012/13 Champions League according to @WhoScored. He's not coming to #LFC, is he?
    BRvVjcSCMAARa72.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Apparently the loan fee for Cissokho is €1M with an option to buy at €5M. Sounds like good business to me.

Stop with the hoping lads, it won't happen.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement