Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

Interesting stat RE Baines.

Most successful crosses in the Premier League last season: Baines (106), Snodgrass (81), De Guzmán (76), Beausejour (69) & Bale (63).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Liamalone wrote: »
    England international, I'd have him!

I would be really worried what direction the club are going if you's are chasing a 32 year old player who has a measly 2 international caps to his name. There cant be any truth to this rumour anyways as I think he only signed a new deal with Everton last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

If Barcelona have received bids from other teams as well as United, I think that the various clubs have received word from Fabregas' agent that he wants out.

BUT...

The more likely aspect of it all is that he will use the incoming and failed bids to get a new contract and a promise of more playing time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Man Utd are not buying Leon Osman. Or Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Someone jokes about Osman and people take it seriously.

End that conversation right now. There's more hope of signing Fabregas than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Probably haven't even bid for Fabregas or anyone. If we wanted Fellaini or Baines, it'd probably have been done by now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

The Osman thing isn't even a rumour. Its just messing about.

Baines and Fellaini are the only ones United would be after. Baines most likely.

I did say before United should just buy Baines, Fellaini and Pienaar - summer spending sorted, but again that just me messing about. I can't see United going for Pienaar and certainly not Osman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

It's interesting that they even asked Fabregas what he thought of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

Corvo wrote: »
    If Barcelona have received bids from other teams as well as United, I think that the various clubs have received word from Fabregas' agent that he wants out.

BUT...

The more likely aspect of it all is that he will use the incoming and failed bids to get a new contract and a promise of more playing time.

Agreed. I would say it's his agent using Man Utd's bid (probably from more than a week ago) now, right after Thiago left, to strengthen Cesc's hand in getting a better contract. Now that Thiago has gone, Cesc is more important than before. Barca came out saying they wanted Thiago to stay, hes a great player etc. Nothing of the sort about Cesc.

Now Thiago has gone, the tables have turned slightly and Cesc has the bargaining power. Cue agent - Bid Made for my client........but he would 'like' to stay........please can we have a new contract and he will 'love' to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

These things can drag out, it took practically the whole summer to get Berbatov and Yorke.. Even the Kagawa deal dragged out for a good weeks after the initial rumours.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

GSPfan wrote: »
    Someone jokes about Osman and people take it seriously.

End that conversation right now. There's more hope of signing Fabregas than that.

Sorry bout that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭SoulTrader

That'd take a fair bit of spinning to call Barca to Utd a sideways step. Only sideways steps from Barca at the moment are Real and Bayern.

Agreed in a European context. But he is just as likely to win domestic titles with Utd as he is with Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

master-t wrote: »
    Interesting stat RE Baines.

Most successful crosses in the Premier League last season: Baines (106), Snodgrass (81), De Guzmán (76), Beausejour (69) & Bale (63).

stat can be skewed by a number of things -

he was an ever present last season and has only missed 6 games, in 4 years - more games = more crosses.

Everton dont play with width in the traditional sense, so he has to get forward more than normal full backs - a similar approach at United would see Evras crosses go up.

with a target like Fellani at the end of those crosses, its easier to get a better success rate.

but the main thing, is that he practically takes all their set pieces.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I'd say we are in for Fabregas and we have made that bid, but nothing is going to come of it. Barca would be mad to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Look this Osman talk is getting old but anyone who does this to City deserves a little respect all the same!

leon-osman-eve-1-0-mcfc.gif?w=610

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

United might go to €35mil on Cesc .. but I don't see them going anymore. Next offer will be €32mil.. then €35mil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Fanny Biscuit

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I'd say we are in for Fabregas and he have made that bid, but nothing is going to come of it. Barca would be mad to sell.

Agree - it was well documented how much both Fabregas and Barcelona wanted the transfer to happen back 2010/2011. IMO Manutd have heard that Fabregas is interested in a move for whatever reason or they have spoken to Fabregas people and made the bid. No chance they would make a bid without not knowing if such a deal was possible. 99% of clubs don't just make bids in the hope a club may accept.

@DuncanCastles Nani to stay at Manchester United after David Moyes sanctions improved contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Its reported Roma paid €20M for Strootman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

As above, starting to circulate now that Strootman has agreed to take Roma up on their offer, with the fee being reportedly between 15m-20m. Cant hlep but feel we definitely missed out here. can only conclude that United had no interest to further pursue, as Strootman looked like he was stalling the Roma deal to go to United.

Big, big, big pity. But best of luck to him, looks like he will be a quality CM for many years to come

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I wonder how long til we see Osman to united in a paper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

TheDoc wrote: »
    looks like he will be a quality CM for many years to come

I don't mind really. Telling that no other big club seems to be interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

99 CL final was just on ESPN Classic there. Sadly, don't think we'll be seeing something like that again for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

A guy on Twitter said Strootman was a posh man's Cattermole, gave me a good chuckle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Did many other big clubs bid for Thiago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Did many other big clubs bid for Thiago?

Yes, Bayern

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Yes, Bayern

Ehh other than bayern and ourselves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭doyler442

Has David Gill left his role yet? In previous years he seemed quite quick with Sir Alex at getting transfers done early and somewhat discreetly.

So perhaps with Ed Woodward now taking over, it could somewhat explain the unusual (and different) approach taken by Utd to sign Fabregas. Maybe even losing out on Thiago the way they did, frightened him into a somewhat premature attempt to get Fabregas? All this is theory of course.

Personally I think (and hope) there had to be something to do with Utd getting some information from either Barcelona or Cesc's agent that there could be a possibility of a move.

titan18 wrote: »
    99 CL final was just on ESPN Classic there. Sadly, don't think we'll be seeing something like that again for a while.

If you record it you can see it anytime you want. ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

How would people on here feel about taking Fabregas on a 1 or 2 year loan deal? Could potentially make sense for all parties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

No other big club with a midfield as great as United's anyway.

How would people on here feel about taking Fabregas on a 1 or 2 year loan deal? Could potentially make sense for all parties.

Don't think it makes sense for Barcelona. They need money for other players. Yeah Xavi would be gone by then but sure Cesc could have broke his legs in the mean time and be worthless.

For United, Definitely. Why not.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Ya I'm sure barca will loan out the player who played most league games for them. It's not like he's important or anything.

I think the heat does strange things to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Osman to Utd? Nowhere near good enough for a club of your stature.

you could say the same thing about owen, or even blanc at the stage he was at. Osman has a lot of experience and moyes is a big admirer. He could do a season.
    Odd that nobody at either club has denied it yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Leftist wrote: »
    Odd that nobody at either club has denied it yet.

Odd that nobody at Utd or the Newcastle Jets have come out and denied whether Emile Heskey will be playing at OT next season isn't it?

Fabergas on twitter congratulating Busquets on his contract extension with a picture saying many more good years to come with the team. Just saying.

https://twitter.com/cesc4official/status/357080408816508928

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Fabergas on twitter congratulating Busquets on his contract extension with a picture saying many more good years to come with the team. Just saying.

https://twitter.com/cesc4official/status/357080408816508928

Don't worry hes only playing hard to get.

TheTownie wrote: »

Looking at that again it almost seems as if he is saying it as a goodbye message..many more good years to come for you Busi, enjoy them(See ya) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

TheTownie wrote: »

hF1976ECD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I've tried to get my head around this Fabregas business and unfortunately I can see only two possibilities that make sense.

1. To soften the blow of not landing Thiago the club has made an inquiry about Fabregas, showing that the club have ambition when it comes to signing a midfielder and are looking to get an established world class player, but knowing that the chances of actually getting him are quite small.

2. United may not have made an official bid but Barca have leaked it as such to the press to drum up some interest in a player they may be willing to part with for the right price.

Sadly neither of these possibilities make signing Fabregas anything more than a pipe dream.

If United were really interested in the player they should have went in with a proper, "take it or leave it" bid, high enough to entice Barca into a sale, explaining to Barca that they want the player ASAP, and tried to get a deal done before any other teams got wind of a possible transfer.

The way it has played out means the media get involved, other clubs get involved and it makes us look very foolish if it turns out the club had no belief in actually being able to sign the player.

Now I know this is all still rumour and there's plenty of time to sign players, but I would like to see some decisiveness from the club in the market. Identify one or more realistic targets, get the deals done quickly and allow them to have some sort of pre-season with the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,627 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Its basically propaganda from utd

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

How useless is this Jamie Jackson lad that writes for the Guardian?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Bit of good news is that Nani looks like starting and Moyes wants Evra to stay. Apparently that is to free up cash for CM. it's up to Evra though I guess.

The Barca managers comments haven't killed the story. Which makes me believe he does have a price.

Do I think United will meet that price? Do I fook.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Skinnykenyan

Could it be possible that fabregas agent leaked this to the press to drum up interest in his client to use as a bargaining chip in contract negotiations. Seems to me fabregas holds all the cards in this. A new contract with playing time in his position or he will get it elsewhere. If barca really value him then he will get it if not he knows he is undervalued and might seek new pastures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Personal opinion. Just my own tastes. Doesn't matter if I'm right or wrong but I would be really disappointed if Nani & Rooney stayed and Fellaini joined.

Two players that I just don't enjoy watching and one that I never want to see play for us again.

Puts a damper on things for me if it happens but I'm sure I'll get over it once a few games have been played.

Again nothing against the merits of each player. Just ones I don't want to watch playing week in week out.

Bit of good news is that Nani looks like starting and Moyes wants Evra to stay. Apparently that is to free up cash for CM. it's up to Evra though I guess.

If they sold no one and bought Fellaini and Fabregas (or someone of that quality) I would be delighted with the summer transfers.

As much as Nani frustrates me I would love to see him under a new manager and see if that changes anything. And fair play to Moyes if he has gone in there and made a decision that he wants Nani to stay and gets negotiating again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Rafael Da Silva : "I can't wait to play more games with Wilfried Zaha ahead of me, he has come in and has shown no fear, even in training he is running past our top defenders."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If they sold no one and bought Fellaini and Fabregas (or someone of that quality) I would be delighted with the summer transfers.

As much as Nani frustrates me I would love to see him under a new manager and see if that changes anything. And fair play to Moyes if he has gone in there and made a decision that he wants Nani to stay and gets negotiating again.

I have in it in good word that he is staying.

You can blame me if he does leave.:pac:

I also know Evra is undecided about leaving now. I hope he does stay personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

The Barca managers comments haven't killed the story. Which makes me believe he does have a price.

Do I think United will meet that price? Do I fook.

That's what annoys me. I think they've called United's bluff. The club were probably hoping for a resounding "he's not for sale at any price!" from Barca. Then they would be "forced" to go for a more realistic signing but still look like they tried to land a big one.

Instead Barca just say "oh he wants to stay but it's nice to get bids" and attract interest from a host of clubs.

Best case scenario: We table a big bid that is accepted, De Gea turns on the Spanish charm, RVP shows him what a Premier League medal actually looks like and Fabregas signs, possibly causing heart attacks for some on here who never thought they'd see the day when United sign a good CM!

Average case scenario: Fabregas and the club quickly clarify that he's going nowhere, the story dies, United focus their full attention on another target.

Terrible case scenario: Arsenal/City/Chelsea table a big bid that is accepted, Fabregas signs for one of them.

Worst case scenario: Arsenal/City/Chelsea table a big bid that is accepted, we don't match it, Fabregas signs for one of them, we sign Gibson and Osman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Daniel Busch ‏@dan_bu 19m
    Thiago: I've talked to Guardiola at the end of last season. He told me to finish the U21 EURO first and then we talked again.
    Thiago: I haven't met a manager like Pep in my career.

Hopefully that can put an end to this notion that Utd twiddled their thumbs and did nothing while Bayern swept in at the last minute and got it sorted.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement