Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skype on Android tablets

Options
  • 27-10-2011 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭

I got a cheapo Android tablet recently, it had a 'Skype(beta)' app pre-installed on it, but it wants a phone number to sign in. I tried it with with my normal mobile number, no joy. My tablet seems to have issues with the Market.

Why would it need my phone number?

Is there any way to get it to work ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

More info on the Android version or tablet would help. Can you use the market at all?

Skype definitely doesn't need a phone number and never has so that is not skype on your tablet..or you're doing it wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

OK, the 'skype' app was pre-installed, so I can't be sure of its origin. There were also 2 market apps that don't seem to be official.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭squire23

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    OK, the 'skype' app was pre-installed, so I can't be sure of its origin. There were also 2 market apps that don't seem to be official.
    Why don't you just uninstall it - then install the most recent version from the Market?

The Task Manager describes it as Skype(BETA) com.skype.android.lite
    I have trouble getting to the market,the website tells me I have no devices registered, but how to add one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭squire23

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    The Task Manager describes it as Skype(BETA) com.skype.android.lite
    I have trouble getting to the market,the website tells me I have no devices registered, but how to add one ?
    Lad - what's so hard to understand? Un-in-stall it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

might be better to give us more info on what tablet it is?

this one:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/110721693056?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

a good bit of info on here:
    http://techknow.freeforums.org/skype-for-wm8650-t782.html

I would suggest you look into changing the ROM on this also (more info and that same site) as it apparently greatly improves the tablet and gives you full market access

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

In my experience Skype on Android is a disaster anyway. Was on holidays recently, trying to skype home. Had a HTC Desire and a HP touchpad with Android and WebOS installed. The only one I could carry out a conversation on was WebOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

The newer versions work, even with video on some devices. Still seems to drain battery if you don't sign out tho.

OP that Skype lite you got is ancient. Get latest one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

srsly78 wrote: »
    The newer versions work, even with video on some devices. Still seems to drain battery if you don't sign out tho.

OP that Skype lite you got is ancient. Get latest one.

That happened this month and the apps were up to date. Maybe it was some other issue but would be some coincidence that it was perfect in WebOS and wouldn't work on 2 android devices.

I have a feeling the market app isn't actually installed and you are being directed to the website?

You can download the market app and other standard google apps here:
    http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=Latest_Version/Google_Apps

To use the market there is nothing complicated like registering devices. You just sign in with a gmail account.

The latest versions of Skype actually work quite well. That version was one of the first released and isn't worth having.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Yep I could not find Skpe on the Market for Archos 10.1 tab over the w/end - is it available?

Yes, I just checked on mine. Make sure you look on the google market, not the archos market. To install proper google market, install an app called "ArcTools" from the archos market.

humbert wrote: »
    I have a feeling the market app isn't actually installed and you are being directed to the website?

You can download the market app and other standard google apps here:
    http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=Latest_Version/Google_Apps

To use the market there is nothing complicated like registering devices. You just sign in with a gmail account.

The latest versions of Skype actually work quite well. That version was one of the first released and isn't worth having.

Is that a reflashing the rom type thing? How safe is that? I wouldn't be sure of how to revert to what I have now.

Does it have to be a gmail account ?

If there is 'nothing complicated like registering devices', why does the website tell me I have no devices registered ?

It's not like flashing, it just installs the missing stuff needed for proper android market. Yes you do need a google account.

The ArcTools method I detailed above is the easiest way to install, do not use the other stuff linked (there are alternate ways, but they are slightly more complicated).

If it's an Archos tablet (which I don't think you've confirmed) then maybe try srsly78's method.

They are generally installed from the recovery console but the zip archive contains the google market app, called vending.apk

You could extract that and place it on the tablet's sd card and install it directly. Though I haven't tried it.

Sry I got mixed up, another poster mentioned problem with archos.

Advertisement