Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you use a case/cover with your phone or tablet?

• 30-10-2014 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭

do you use cases or covers for your tech, or do you prefer to not use any at all?

do the odd scratches and bumps annoy you?

I know myself that my tech-OCD kicks in anytime I find a small scratch or mark on my tablet!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Yep spigen slim armor for the s4. Iv been using a plastic screen protector as well but theres a tempered glass one on the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

yep, tudia case and a glass of the titans tempered screen for the 1+1, even though it bulks it up I would hate to have anything happen to it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Cheap transparent plastic rear case for the One M7, nothing for the 5s cos its back its just so darn pretty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭Straylight

Speck case for the S4. You miss out on having a nice thin phone, but it's too damn slippy without a case and I'd have dropped it plenty of times by now if I had no case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Otterbox commuter ftw!
    Had the defender but i found it hard to get the phone out of my pocket!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I use a screen protector, don't bother with a case though. Useful cases are too bulky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Using a case now after scratching my M8 , first world problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭Invincible

Ringke SLIM - nice slim case with raised lip over screen, came with screen protector.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Slim Armor plus Spigen Nano
    Both are superb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I got this for the M8 a few weeks back. Fits nice and tight, without being impossible to takeback off. Keeps the lovely shiny metalic back of the phone pristine, doesn't get in the way, cheap as chips!

You get a screen protector, which I will never use, and a tiny little micro fibre cloth with it.

That shows the M7 version, you just use the drop down to select M8

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

What about marks/scratches from the usual everyday wear and tear, would they bother you guys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

I use a screen protector, don't bother with a case though. Useful cases are too bulky
    Me mrs dropped her s3 without a case and it was scrap after one drop. I use a case just in case!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Sam Mac wrote: »
    What about marks/scratches from the usual everyday wear and tear, would they bother you guys?

That's why I use a simple back cover. I don't want anything that gets in the way, but want the back of the phone to remain like new, in case of selling at any point. I never found the front glass on any phone I've had last few years to suffer from scratching or marks. The glass is pretty solid on most of them, unless you drop them, then they may smash alright. But general use, after a quick micro fibre cloth cleaning, they come up like new.

On my iPad mini I have a leather case that converts into a mini stand. Have it about a year and a half now, and it's still grand, got it for £7 on amazon. Well worth it. Checked the other day, for the first time in about 6 months, took it off to see how the pad looked - like new! :)

This cover here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009TVZ6MI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Phone in one pocket, keys and coins in the other, seriously reduces the amount of scratches you pick up

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭nicebutdim

shedweller wrote: »
    Otterbox commuter ftw!
    Had the defender but i found it hard to get the phone out of my pocket!

This.

Dropped by old S3 without a case and got a €195 bill! Have a Note 4 since last Thurs and am awaiting delivery of a cheap case until Otterbox do a case for the Note....absolutely kakking it until it arrives. Definitely screen protectors are worth the minor expense too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

nicebutdim wrote: »
    This.

Dropped by old S3 without a case and got a €195 bill! Have a Note 4 since last Thurs and am awaiting delivery of a cheap case until Otterbox do a case for the Note....absolutely kakking it until it arrives. Definitely screen protectors are worth the minor expense too

insurance? i did the same to my s3 (still have it) and got a very similar price (150-200 depending on shop) so ive just left it, cracked scren for over a year now :( looking to get a new phone but i will certainly be insuring it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

That's why I use a simple back cover. I don't want anything that gets in the way, but want the back of the phone to remain like new, in case of selling at any point. I never found the front glass on any phone I've had last few years to suffer from scratching or marks. The glass is pretty solid on most of them, unless you drop them, then they may smash alright. But general use, after a quick micro fibre cloth cleaning, they come up like new.

What he said. I use a gel back cover on all of my phones (about €5 from Amazon). My S4 was dropped from waist height a couple of times to concrete & tarmac and didn't have a mark on it.

I never bother with the screen covers. I've been using Androids since 2011 and haven't scratched a screen yet. 100% the phone is stored in a pocket with no coins / keys.

I'm normally able to sell on my phone on Adverts after a year and they look brand new which greatly subsidizes the next model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

OEM grip shell case with my Moto G - gives me the best compromise of style, protection and grip all in one + a Dbrand vinyl for an extra touch of pizzazz.

$_35.JPG

Moto_G_Grip_Shell_Cases.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

spigen Case Slim [Ultra Fit] and tempered glass screen (about to get my 3rd one due to them doing their job!) on the note 3.

the case is very slim, but wasn't all that robust and has broken on the top left corner by the volume bit, so i wouldn't recommend it personally.

tempered glass protector is essential on any big phone though, screens are too expensive to replace and are very rarely (imho) 100% perfect afterwards.

have a hard silicone case on the 1+1 too and tempered screen protector and both doing very well, not to mention i'm liking the phone more and more over the note 3 now i'm using it more. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

No, I dont use a case or screen protectors for my phone or tablet. I do use a slieve for my tablet when travelling.

Why buy a nicely designed peice of equipment and then cover it with a shiity peice of plastic... my M7 is more than 18 months old and is still in great condition.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭caolfx

Never. Cases/covers completely take away from the look and feel of the device.

I'm very, very careful with mine though. Guess I have to be! :) *Touch wood*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Phone in one pocket, keys and coins in the other, seriously reduces the amount of scratches you pick up

I do this as well. I have had a nillkin slim plastic case on my last few phones and current on, might not be the best protection but it stops scratches and light falls doing damage. Have a screen protector also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sohappy

quote="nicebutdim;92836199"]This.

Dropped by old S3 without a case and got a €195 bill! Have a Note 4 since last Thurs and am awaiting delivery of a cheap case until Otterbox do a case for the Note....absolutely kakking it until it arrives. Definitely screen protectors are worth the minor expense too[/quote]

Have a ballistic sg maxx case on a s3 and have dropped it from 7 to 9 feet more than once ,, I found it not as bulky as an otterbox,
    https://www.goballisticcase.com/shop/samsung/galaxy-note-4/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Yup always, always with a screen protector too!

Orzly leather flip case in Blue for my Moto G.

A genenic black cover for my Nexus 7 2013 with a magnet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I don't get the idea that a case spoils the aesthetic of the phone. The Slim Armor case on my Nexus 5 doesn't overly increase the size. But it does make the phone much easier & secure to use especially one handed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Ringke fusion on my Nexus 4
    Slim, great protection and still able to see the lovely rear of the phone! http://images.mobilefun.co.uk/graphics/300pixelp/rearth-ringke-fusion-case-for-the-google-nexus-4-p38000-300.jpg

OH and daughter both have OEM flip cover on Moto G which is great as it replaces the back cover and makes it much nicer to hold and offers great protection
    [url] http://static.trustedreviews.com/94/00002ace0/d43a/moto-g-lfip.jpg[/url]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

I always use a gel case and glass screen protector. Costs about €15 or so altogether and keeps the phone looking immaculate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I recently dropped my Note Pro (the 12" tab) and destroyed the screen. :(

After shelling out 300Euro to replace the screen, I then shelled out another 70 Euro for the Samsung made case.

That learned me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭droidman123

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I recently dropped my Note Pro (the 12" tab) and destroyed the screen. :(

After shelling out 300Euro to replace the screen, I then shelled out another 70 Euro for the Samsung made case.

That learned me.

300 euro? Yikes! I think I would if put the extra few bob and bought a new tablet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

300 euro? Yikes! I think I would if put the extra few bob and bought a new tablet.

not likely. the Note Pro 12" is still about €850 to buy new.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭chases0102

Can anyone recommend a case or cover for the S5?

Or a Gel and Screen protector combo even.

Love the phone (I find it strange that there is no dedicated thread for it, compared to the other Android phones...is it wildly unpopular?) but determined not to damage it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

chases0102 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a case or cover for the S5?

Or a Gel and Screen protector combo even.

Love the phone (I find it strange that there is no dedicated thread for it, compared to the other Android phones...is it wildly unpopular?) but determined not to damage it.

For any phone I've bought over the last few years I've just gone to Amazon and typed in
    "Model" gel cover
    e.g. S5 gel cover

Doing that for the S5 gives a few options. I have ordered this one before
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Connect-Zone%C2%AE-Samsung-Protector-Polishing/dp/B00IXX1NL6/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1415369108&sr=8-12&keywords=s5+gel+cover from a different supplier.
    and have been happy with it.

Gel covers are good enough for the odd drop but you still need a bit of luck (e.g. if you drop it onto something protuding onto the screen it's going to get damaged). But I'm careful enough and never have a problem with them. I have dropped my phone from waste height onto tarmac and it didn't mark the phone (I'd imagine I was lucky + the gel cover).

Lots of people don't like the covers on their phone. That's fine. I like them. A mark on it would bug me much more so I can live with the cover. They don't add much bulk to the devices either.

If the Amazon shipper will only deliver to the UK just use Parcel Motel. You'll still get it cheaper than going into a shop over here.

For screen protectors I dunno. Once you put a cover on it'll give about a 2mm lip over the screen so you can put the phone face down on a desk without worrying about it. That plus only ever put the phone in a pocket with no keys / money works fine for me so I don't need a protector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I have an communter otterbox for my S3 and it definitely works. I was taking a phone with it. My drunk friend gave me a high 5 and the phone flew into the air and landed about 15 feet from where I was. It was perfect after it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

OtterBox cases tend to be very bulky, and very expensive.

Spigen are another good brand. I used their Tough Armor case on my S5. It was pretty thin too but offered great protection.

Advertisement