Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Mythbuster

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I still find this bizarre that they invested millions in Leap and had numerous delays with all sorts of software problems and at the end of it we have a card that still needs a driver to use valuable dwell time punching in journey details.

Can you explain this is more depth ? If the NTA are deliberately holding back buses and effecting the service the public receive all while drivers are being paid to watch TV in the canteen then surely this is a scandal for the media ? Why haven't drivers or Dublin Bus management been kicking up publically about it?

I always assumed that the reason you couldn't tap in/out on a bus was because the unions didn't want it - longer dwell times = less efficiency = more buses = more drivers = more members.

I never understood why it wasn't set up like the Oyster Card?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭s8080

Jawgap wrote: »
    I always assumed that the reason you couldn't tap in/out on a bus was because the unions didn't want it - longer dwell times = less efficiency = more buses = more drivers = more members.

I never understood why it wasn't set up like the Oyster Card?

Mega myth is the all powerful unions, ask anyone who works for CIE about the mighty unions and they will laugh at you.
    top dog in nbru his daughter is high up in dublin bus head office, remember the strike a few year ago, nbru leader on tv talking, dublin bus spokeswoman on tv disagreeing , thats his daughter using irish verson of family name.
    Many union officias have children working in head office, do you think the union will rock the boat and scupper promotion prospects for family?

s8080 wrote: »
    Mega myth is the all powerful unions, ask anyone who works for CIE about the mighty unions and they will laugh at you.
    top dog in nbru his daughter is high up in dublin bus head office, remember the strike a few year ago, nbru leader on tv talking, dublin bus spokeswoman on tv disagreeing , thats his daughter using irish verson of family name.
    Many union officias have children working in head office, do you think the union will rock the boat and scupper promotion prospects for family?

Well, the question I posed was why Leap lacks the functionality of Oyster?

Plus the quickest way to understand the power of the unions in DB is to complain about a driver - do the disciplinary panels still have union reps on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

What's the deal with some Dublin Bus drivers allowing people to smoke on the Nightlink? Are they afraid to implement the no smoking rule because of aggression? Or do they just not care?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Can you explain this is more depth ? If the NTA are deliberately holding back buses and effecting the service the public receive all while drivers are being paid to watch TV in the canteen then surely this is a scandal for the media ? Why haven't drivers or Dublin Bus management been kicking up publically about it?

i dont know how more simple i can explain, summer time there was reduced service on some routes.
    from 100% service to 80% service, now those 20% drivers turned up for work in morning and watched tv.
    These 20% drivers are from route A, then on route B driver out sick. Route B has a service canceled as driver is sick. 20% drivers in depot ready to work but NTA say they cannot work.
    years ago dublin bus would have put the drivers to work.

dart broke down on north side start of week, no extra buses put on. You ask why, well dublin bus cannot without permission of NTA. years ago buses from all over city would be sent out to bring passengers to city centre.

Driver takes faulty bus out of service and back to depot to get changed.
    D-goes to inspector need a change of bus.
    I- Take a seat when a bus becomes available i will call you
    D- yard had plenty of buses parked up ,can i take one of them?
    I- no those buses are not to leave yard on orders of NTA.
    D- Ok ill hang around here

30 minutes later inspector call driver to say bus xxx has come back into yard and they can take it.
    Driver has been staring out window at buses parked up under NTA orders all this time, you the passengers have been waiting for a bus that should have come, naturally you the passenger blame dublin bus when actually the fault is 100% the NTA.

Many here wont believe it , buts thats the truth.

NTA is here to push the fare price up,so when private operators come in and are 20c cheaper than dublin bus, the government can say " look competition good the fares are less than dublin bus.

Dublin bus have pay frozen since 2007, pay cuts, oil fallen from $150 to $80 a barrel.
    Buses standing room only city wide, people left behind at stops,fares never higher.
    dublin bus loose money,how?
    ticket machines not working, people travel for free and a crazy amount of free travel passes, all so NTA can raise ticket prices.

• Advertisement

Jawgap wrote: »
    Well, the question I posed was why Leap lacks the functionality of Oyster?

Yet again dublin bus get the blame for NTA decision

What's the deal with some Dublin Bus drivers allowing people to smoke on the Nightlink? Are they afraid to implement the no smoking rule because of aggression? Or do they just not care?

why dont you ask them to stop smoking?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Could you elaborate a bit on this ?

Where are the smoking passengers situated ?

Was the driver notifiied of the smoking ?

With,potentially,anything up to 90 people on a bus,the driver must be mindful of any risk of inflaming (!) a situation which could result in assaults or worse.

The Driver MUST remain in the cab,so if you are suggesting direct intervention then I'm afraid the answer is NO.

The Company policy is here....

http://www.dublinbus.ie/PageFiles/5910/CustomerCharterEnglishVersion.pdf

Keeping buses smoke-free.
    It is against the law to smoke on our buses under the Public
    Health (Tobacco) (Amendment) Act 2004 and Dublin Bus Bye-Law
    Number 45 1990.

Many of our buses are fitted with an automatic ‘no smoking’
    announcement.

If a driver becomes aware of a customer smoking on the bus, the
    driver will use the public address system to ask them to stop. If
    the person refuses to stop, the driver will ask the controller to call
    An Garda Síochána.

Having followed this procedure,it then falls to the Gardai to decide upon the priority of the "Smoking On Bus" call versus whatever other emergency calls may be active at that time.

I'm not certain what response you would view as acceptable,but at least you now have the Company Policy,as well as one Driver's opinion,whether that fulfills a perception to "just not care"is,I'm afraid your own call to make.

In the meantime the relevant AUTHORITY may also be of assistance...

http://www.hse.ie/eng/about/Who/TobaccoControl/Enforcement/

COMPLAINTS

If you have a complaint about people smoking in a work-place, underage sales of cigarettes or any breach of tobacco legislation, first bring the matter to the attention of the person in charge. If your complaint is not dealt with satisfactorily contact your local Environmental Health Service or lo-call the National Tobacco Control Office on 1890 333100.

All complaints are dealt with in the strictest confidence.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

I have told the driver upon alighting the bus and he just shrugged. I know it's 3am, I know you're dealing with drunk people, but it is unacceptable for people to smoke on the bus. These people are always seated upstairs. I actually did ask the person to stop smoking the last time, but on 2 other occasions, I guess I didn't want a punch. Sometimes you just have to put the head down & say nothing.

Thank you Alek for your informative reply.

Yet again dublin bus get the blame for NTA decision

Well to be clear I was blaming the unions, not the NTA - although the NTA (and Dublin Bus) are jointly culpable for failing to stand up to the unions.

Btw- do disciplinary panels still have a union rep on them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I have told the driver upon alighting the bus and he just shrugged. I know it's 3am, I know you're dealing with drunk people, but it is unacceptable for people to smoke on the bus. These people are always seated upstairs. I actually did ask the person to stop smoking the last time, but on 2 other occasions, I guess I didn't want a punch. Sometimes you just have to put the head down & say nothing.

As a Driver,I have to ask what response would you expect when the notification is recieved from a person LEAVING the vehicle,having presumably decided not to object to the law-breakers in person ?

Whenever I have been approached by a passenger with a smoking complaint IN GOOD TIME,I have had no difficulty dealing with the issue via the PA system (Coupled with pulling in and switching off the engine).

Generally an announcement that the journey will NOT continue whilst passengers are smoking is enough to focus OTHER passengers attention on whatever eejits are puffing away.

However,If I am not notified at the earliest opportunity in the journey,then there is NOTHING I can do.

The actual process which must be followed to secure a successful prosecution under the tobacco regulations,is extremely lengthy and requires considerable resources to even get to Court,never mind securing a suitable outcome.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Yes, thank you, I understand your point.

He could have said 'okay, thank you for telling me' and made his announcement then? Anyway, I just wanted to throw my query out there. It's something I always think 'right, I'm going to make a complaint in the morning' but I never do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

As someone who works in public transport i'm just as worried about getting a clatter as you are so i'll occasionally let some stuff slide when i'm working on my own.

I've been threaten enough times and know enough other lads who've gotten attacked that i have no desire to be a hero. The company will try and shift the blame for the incident back to you and even if they don't a judge will try their best to get the perpetrator off because they will inevitably be a member of the group we call "the disadvantaged" so they have no fear of making a go for you.

Only two days ago a fella threaten to "slice me up" while he was standing about an inch from my face. He'd just been kicked off a train by security and a checker for having no ticket and smoking in the toilet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Here is the other problem, you informed the driver as you were alighting, you were the witness, you are the complaining party, and you are leaving the bus. The driver hasn't actually witnessed anything.
    If he calls the Gardai who will he tell them to speak to, remove from the bus etc etc ? That's of course if the Gardai turn up, how long will it be before they turn up what will the up to 90 mostly intoxicated other passengers do while the bus waits at the side of the road at 3 in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭JayRoc

SameDiff wrote: »
    I wonder how long I would last in my place of employment if I spend my lunchtime commenting on the "complete ignorance" of those who pay my wages..

You've not worked in retail, so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Mahogany

Tickityboo wrote: »
    Which is why I ensure I get as much money for my company as possible.

You work for a State company providing a public service, your goal is not to make a profit, but to provide the best service possible for your passengers who rely on a bus to get from A to B.

CIE employee's really need to take a Customer Service class, sheer rudeness off a lot of you, I'm not saying ALL staff, but certainly a lot of you.

I'll never see it your way, a driver wouldn't let my 15 year old brother off the bus because he didn't believe he was 15, that's right, OFF the bus.

He let him on but of course after a growl which is reminiscent of Jabba the Hutt. He then drove past my brothers stop and wouldn't let him off until about 5 stops later.

Justify that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Mahogany wrote: »
    You work for a State company providing a public service, your goal is not to make a profit, but to provide the best service possible for your passengers who rely on a bus to get from A to B.

CIE employee's really need to take a Customer Service class, sheer rudeness off a lot of you, I'm not saying ALL staff, but certainly a lot of you.

I'll never see it your way, a driver wouldn't let my 15 year old brother off the bus because he didn't believe he was 15, that's right, OFF the bus.

He let him on but of course after a growl which is reminiscent of Jabba the Hutt. He then drove past my brothers stop and wouldn't let him off until about 5 stops later.

Justify that one.

Only ever one side to every story.

People are very good at making things up so really is that what happened asnd did he press the bell and not give abuse

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

Justify that one.

Knickers!! I've being doing it wrong all along.
    I should just let people pay whatever they want show me whoevers free travel pass they want and the jobs a goodun!!

Where will the shortfall in revenue come from?Higher fares which were just announced today and not from the government.

Which is why it's better for you as a customer if we make money rather than worrying about if we smile and say thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Why are new schedules with last buses at 2335 such a big deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

NTA is here to push the fare price up,so when private operators come in and are 20c cheaper than dublin bus, the government can say " look competition good the fares are less than dublin bus.

To be fair to s8080, this would appear (as an outside observer who has nowhere near the level of knowledge or insider info as some of the posters here :)) to have some truth to it.

Over the last 5 years, fares have only increased steadily despite a recession, falling passenger numbers and curtailed services - "Network Direct" IMO has only managed to make the situation worse in a lot of cases .. extending the 27 to Tallaght for example and other "cross city" routes was completely unnecessary if integrated timetabling and change-over points (literally get off one, and get onto another) had been implemented - I remember doing this as a kid in Holland when we lived there for a few years and it just worked!

LEAP (from all I've read about it here) seems to be another typically Irish disaster - slow, unreliable, awkward and inefficient with reader machines that are equally unfit for purpose.

As I said in the fare increases thread, given the fact that most people are still far from the "recovery" the government is bleating on about lately, increasing fares still can only be designed to further hasten the slide in DB services so that when the public finally says "enough!", private operators can be brought in at just under the inflated fares and everyone will think it's fantastic! Maybe it's another clause in the "Bailout Deal" that has us lumbered with the incompetent wasteful mess that is Irish Water.

As the regulars know, I don't use DB, and haven't in years - but as an outsider looking in there seems to be a whole other agenda here beyond DB (drivers) vs the NTA vs the punter to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Dublin Bus have always asked for a higher increase than the NTA have allowed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭dublinstevie

Justify that one.

bet you he didn't ring the bell,just stand there staring into space saying nothing relying on the drivers psychic mind reading skills that he wants off.

bet you he didn't ring the bell,just stand there staring into space saying nothing relying on the drivers psychic mind reading skills that he wants off.

He did, and said numerous times sorry but that was my stop but the man didn't listen.

Only ever one side to every story.

People are very good at making things up so really is that what happened asnd did he press the bell and not give abuse

He's a good kid, polite and courteous.

Driver only had beef cause he's tall for his age. Of course he didn't have ID because 15 year old's don't have identification on them.

Having said all this I thought it was a good move to bring the adult age up to 18, after all it is the adult age...

Daylight robbery paying adult fare aged 16/17.

Tickityboo wrote: »
    Knickers!! I've being doing it wrong all along.
    I should just let people pay whatever they want show me whoevers free travel pass they want and the jobs a goodun!!

Where will the shortfall in revenue come from?Higher fares which were just announced today and not from the government.

Which is why it's better for you as a customer if we make money rather than worrying about if we smile and say thanks.

Take it up with the Department of Transport. All these occurrences will keep happening until those fares are brought down by the way, so again, don't be blaming the customers, isn't the customer always right ;)

He did, and said numerous times sorry but that was my stop but the man didn't listen.

Were you there as it is very easy telling 1 side but would be nice to know other side to the story.

You could be 100% right and they have told you the whole story but very doubtful thats everything that went down.

I have been told by different people that I have kidnapped them and taken them further stops against their will and going to report me etc etc... but always find it very funny that they are the ones that never press the bell or even make it obvious they are actually looking to get off.

I am not making this up I really don't know what their problems are or what they are thinking.

Had a complaint in 2 years ago stating I would not let passenger/customer out at last 2 stops when they had pressed the bell(but this was a lie along with a load of other rubbish 3 full pages long)

The person never got up or approached the doors and also never pressed the bell.

I have proof of this from the video which was checked.

He wanted to fight and argue as I have no other explanation to it as I done nothing on the person.
    I showed them how the stop sogn would light up but oh no how dare I speak to them aggresively and threatening:pac::pac: and as they still had not pressed another passenger did and it lit up but I got I am going to have your job and going straight to the Gardai.

Wow some have very little to do in their lives and eat away at others.

The uniform should be scrapped as that seems to be what they go for;)

He's a good kid, polite and courteous.

Driver only had beef cause he's tall for his age. Of course he didn't have ID because 15 year old's don't have identification on them.

Having said all this I thought it was a good move to bring the adult age up to 18, after all it is the adult age...

Daylight robbery paying adult fare aged 16/17.

So there are no more problems this is with the special personal LEAP card and can only be used by card owner.

I will take your word for it that is a bad experience but weird he waited till he was getting off as usually the trouble would be at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

Take it up with the Department of Transport. All these occurrences will keep happening until those fares are brought down by the way, so again, don't be blaming the customers, isn't the customer always right ;)

I don't need to take it up with the N.T.A . I don't have to pay the higher fares!!

But in the course of my duties I will try and ensure the customers pay the correct fare for their journey.

The person who came up with the customer is always right deserves a slap!! because it couldn't be further from the truth.

Respect works both ways and I will always treat people the way they treat me.
    If they treat me nice they get it back in spades if they treat me like a dick they get it right back at them when warrented and when people get on and may be a bit grumpy no biggie I'll still give them a please and thankyou.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

So there are no more problems this is with the special personal LEAP card and can only be used by card owner.

I will take your word for it that is a bad experience but weird he waited till he was getting off as usually the trouble would be at the start.

15 year olds dont need to have a personalized card now.

• Advertisement

15 year olds dont need to have a personalized card now.

Never said 15 but 16 over do;)

As op said kid looks older this would help with all the confusion if any and the child fare only applies to LEAP in the new form of up to under 19 years old.

16 year olds paying cash will ahve to pay adult fare.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement