Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reasons for driving children to school

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I don't have children, but what I do have is a crummy back which has just culminated in nearly a year of agony and a back operation. If I ever do have children, unless the DoE/schools get their acts together and figures a way how not to turn our young people into pack mules, then mine will be driven to the school gate.

I've had a dodgy back for years, originally caused by making a big mistake in a gym.

Because of the pain I exercised less and less, and my back problem became chronic.

What cured it was exercise, and if my back gets sore now (eg from kids hopping off me!) I'll exercise to relieve it.

BTW, bikes make great "pack mules".

article-2202067-14F9B7BD000005DC-457_964x584.jpg

doolox wrote: »
    Very stupid policies.

That is THE macro reason in the Irish context.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

NIMAN wrote: »
    Sums up how the world is going, how is God's name are they a H&S issue?

Trip hazards I expect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    I've had a dodgy back for years, originally caused by making a big mistake in a gym.

Because of the pain I exercised less and less, and my back problem became chronic.

What cured it was exercise, and if my back gets sore now (eg from kids hopping off me!) I'll exercise to relieve it.

Nice cheap option eh?

http://dutchbikeshop.ie/cargo-bikes-2/

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Glinda

My son walks (still in primary). My daughter (secondary) can't even walk to the bus stop near our house, her bag is so heavy. It takes an adult lifting with two hands to even get it into the boot of the car. Utterly ridiculous. On several days each week she also has sports equipment and a bag of PE clothes to carry as well. We had to go and buy a special bag so the straps don't rip off when she loads it on her back.

Wheelie bags are a nightmare in crowded corridors and on stairs.

They seriously need to sort out the issues with e-books for schools.

It's just a Boards thread, and the "on my way to work" excuse is of particular interest to me.

In fact I was speaking to someone just this morning about the car-clogged school run in a certain area, and I quoted the 27% figure to him. His view was that at the particular school we were discussing it would be more like 72% going on to work.

I very much doubt that, but he was claiming it as the #1 reason for doing the school run by car. More excuses, imo, intended to justify motorists taking over not just all the roads near the school but also the footpaths as well.

In other words, because most people drive, the greater good is being served by allowing motorists to do what they want, leaving pedestrians, cyclists and bus users to fend for themselves. I would argue that the exact opposite should be the case.

There are of course major systemic reasons for Ireland's ludicrous car dependence, such as egregiously incompetent spatial "planning" and road design.

However, I live in the same neighbourhood as hundreds of others whose children travel to the same schools in the same area. Except that we (and a handful of others) choose to cycle.

You're looking at the problem very simplistically, from a very insular point of view. There's more to it than simply getting to work. Or getting to school.

beauf wrote: »

Keeping cars in good condition, taxed and full of fuel is no easy thing. Fuel alone sets most of us back nearly €250 per month. That’s €3,000 a year and you will need to earn €6,000 to bring that home. And that’s only the fuel.

Source: Conor Faughnan (http://www.advertiser.ie/athlone/article/59058/garda-have-to-judge-the-line-between-sympathy-and-responsibility)

Based on the AA's figures, the cargobike will have paid for itself in ten months. And that's considering only the fuel costs.

The expense angle is just another illusion perhaps.

You're looking at the problem very simplistically, from a very insular point of view. There's more to it than simply getting to work. Or getting to school.

Whatever the problem is, it never stopped me getting to work, or school, by bike.

Mind you, I still use the car for some school runs. I have my own reasons/excuses. Speaking of which, must dash!

Source: Conor Faughnan (http://www.advertiser.ie/athlone/article/59058/garda-have-to-judge-the-line-between-sympathy-and-responsibility)

Based on the AA's figures, the cargobike will have paid for itself in ten months. And that's considering only the fuel costs.

The expense angle is just another illusion perhaps.

Your premise was that the school is on the way to work, so there isn't an extra cost to stopping at the school on the way. Your saving is delusional in that context.

• Advertisement

Whatever my problem is, it never stopped me getting to work, or school, by bike.

Mind you, I still use the car for some school runs. I have my own reasons/excuses. Speaking of which, must dash!

My edits above. But I think you are making my point for me.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Warning to all:

Drop the straw men claims without explaining or backing up your view, and drop the naming etc... Relax a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

The problem with the wheelie bags from a H&S point is the potential for said bags to collect anything and everything on the wheels en route to the classroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

rushfan wrote: »
    The problem with the wheelie bags from a H&S point is the potential for said bags to collect anything and everything on the wheels en route to the classroom.

would this not be the same for shoes???

So do you stop kids wearing shoes? Seriously? ?

rushfan wrote: »
    So do you stop kids wearing shoes? Seriously? ?

No. But you dont ban wheelie bags on the premise that they may pick up something when shoes do the same thing.

• Advertisement

Well, I've seen it happen, especially at the "small kids" stage, where they're oblivious to such things. Also, all it takes is for one of the "cool kids" to decide that wheelie bags are no longer in vogue, and you know the rest.

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    No. But you dont ban wheelie bags on the premise that they may pick up something when shoes do the same thing.

But that's not the reason they're banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

NIMAN wrote: »
    Didn't you hear, there's a paedo on every corner these days.

I'm sure your remark is meant to be very clever but I don't get it. The only way of dealing with Ireland's many, many problems is to acknowledge their existence rather than making a joke of them. One of the creatures featured in the attached news report http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/two-men-appear-in-court-in-connection-to-violent-death-30596989.html haunted the streets of my local town and he, and his type, is one of the reasons my children aged 10 + 12 are always driven or accompanied to school. The town is full of strangers/foreigners and there's no way I'm prepared to take any chances. Add in the fact that many motorists shouldn't be on the roads at all...yeah sure let the kids walk and wait for the phonecall.

My edits above. But I think you are making my point for me.

Maybe I am, except I don't know what it is.

Of necessity I have started, just this very day, a new routine for the last school pick-up in the afternoon. It involves cycling with my 7-year-old the 3 km route back home, instead of driving it.

My main reason for not driving is that the bike won't fit in the car. That fact means that I have to readjust my travel behaviour, because previously I had the option of driving.

One part of the adjustment is leaving home ten minutes or so earlier.

However, the trip home by bike is very different from the trip to school in the morning. The later time means encountering more motoring mayhem than last year (people driving and parking on footpaths etc) and the change of direction means that there are new challenges in terms of safety and access, eg dangerous junctions and lack of pedestrian-priority crossings that the 7-year-old can use.

I don't cycle on the footpath, so I now have to work out a way to get home that allows me to stay close and which does not expose the child to danger.

Not easy. When I drove I didn't have to think about such things, a luxury that people in motorised metal boxes very much enjoy.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    But that's not the reason they're banned.

Well I dont think so either but according to rushfan it is the reason.

As a matter of interest why are they banned. They are not banned in any school near me that i am aware of?/

• Advertisement

The town is full of strangers/foreigners and there's no way I'm prepared to take any chances.

The Netherlands and Denmark are full of foreigners, and children cycle in huge numbers there (certainly in most Dutch towns and cities anyway).

Your premise was that the school is on the way to work, so there isn't an extra cost to stopping at the school on the way. Your saving is delusional in that context.

Sorry, I have no idea what you're getting at there.

My understanding was that you were saying that the likes of a cargobike is very expensive, implying that it is not an affordable option for school travel.

I was simply pointing out that even a pricey bike can be bought and maintained for a fraction of what it costs to run a car, which means that cost cannot be used to justify driving instead of cycling. It is clearly the other way round: one of the many justifications for cycling to school instead of driving is the obviously huge cost saving.

The Netherlands and Denmark are full of foreigners, and children cycle in huge numbers there (certainly in most Dutch towns and cities anyway).

Right so, I'll just buy them bikes and it will all okay. They can magically avoid all the weirdos, and the nut job drivers who ignore the rules of the road. :rolleyes:

As a matter of interest why are they banned. They are not banned in any school near me that i am aware of?/

Primary schools for trip hazard reasons. As people have said, get a big gang of them in a rush somewhere and it can be messy. Actually, get one on their own and they'll still find a way to fall over them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I'm sure your remark is meant to be very clever but I don't get it. The only way of dealing with Ireland's many, many problems is to acknowledge their existence rather than making a joke of them. One of the creatures featured in the attached news report http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/two-men-appear-in-court-in-connection-to-violent-death-30596989.html haunted the streets of my local town and he, and his type, is one of the reasons my children aged 10 + 12 are always driven or accompanied to school. The town is full of strangers/foreigners and there's no way I'm prepared to take any chances. Add in the fact that many motorists shouldn't be on the roads at all...yeah sure let the kids walk and wait for the phonecall.

I'm surprised you don't have them home schooled.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 richardjack67

Lazy Peoples

Sorry, I have no idea what you're getting at there.

My understanding was that you were saying that the likes of a cargobike is very expensive, implying that it is not an affordable option for school travel.

I was simply pointing out that even a pricey bike can be bought and maintained for a fraction of what it costs to run a car, which means that cost cannot be used to justify driving instead of cycling. It is clearly the other way round: one of the many justifications for cycling to school instead of driving is the obviously huge cost saving.

You started the thread saying people drop their kids on the way to work.

So how does that fit in with a cargo bike, are they going to cycle that to work, then back again and pick up the kids ??

Is a cargo bike going to replace all their car journeys. Because if it isn't they they aren't saving the cost of the car. If the school is on the way to work. Then they aren't saving any running costs either.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    I'm surprised you don't have them home schooled.

Very profound.

Lazy Peoples

Enough of that now. We got the "funny" stuff out of the way now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,484 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Trip hazard. The local school hasn't banned them, just asked parents not get them. Its a multi level school, so maybe its not an issue, or as much an issue, in single storey schools.

The solution is ebooks or a system that books can be broken down/ printed by chapter. But any idea like that is scuppered by the publishers, aided and abetted by the schools. They insist on expensive iPads and custom apps where you effectively rent rather than own an eBook. Publish the books on kindle/ kobo etc, and then its not operating system or device specific!

Don't see how dropping on the way to work isn't justified by some posters. Our School doesn't supervise until 9.10, and even at that I struggle to make my 10am cut off for being in work. I'd love a suggestion to make that work without the car!

Also you can be in urban areas (as defined by council planners) and have no infrastructure such as footpaths. 600m of our km walk to school only got a footpath in recent years (and still not the whole way to the village limits). It's not just people who want to live in "hillbilly heaven" that have infrastructure issues!

• Advertisement

so when do you let them out on their own. 13, 14, 16, 25?? Its part of growing up. The longer you "shelter" them then the harder it is for them to gain independence and cope with whats out there. Personally I am much more worried about them in their late teens/early twenties than I ever was when they were 10 or 12 because the situations they may now end up in are potentially more dangerous.

so when do you let them out on their own. 13, 14, 16, 25?? Its part of growing up. The longer you "shelter" them then the harder it is for them to gain independence and cope with whats out there. Personally I am much more worried about them in their late teens/early twenties than I ever was when they were 10 or 12 because the situations they may now end up in are potentially more dangerous.

From talking with other parents, I'm far from unique and I guess secondary school (in Dublin) will be the cut-off point. Can't say that I'm looking forward to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I used to see one lady in Ranalagh regularly with four kids on her bike, two in a trailer at the front, one in a seat on the crossbar in front of her, and one in a seat behind her.
    Most primary schools in my area have banned those wheelie bags on H&S grounds.
    Trip hazards I expect.
    Primary schools for trip hazard reasons. As people have said, get a big gang of them in a rush somewhere and it can be messy. Actually, get one on their own and they'll still find a way to fall over them.
    Macy0161 wrote: »
    Trip hazard. The local school hasn't banned them, just asked parents not get them. Its a multi level school, so maybe its not an issue, or as much an issue, in single storey schools.
    I don't see the trip hazard issue. You don't generally see loads of people tripping over wheelie bags in airports or ferry ports.

The solution is ebooks or a system that books can be broken down/ printed by chapter. But any idea like that is scuppered by the publishers, aided and abetted by the schools. They insist on expensive iPads and custom apps where you effectively rent rather than own an eBook. Publish the books on kindle/ kobo etc, and then its not operating system or device specific!

eBooks are part of the solution, and you're right about the rush to expensive iPads without knowing quite what to do with them.

But eBooks are consumption devices only. Students need to output something, so they will need some combination of folders/copies, workbooks or laptop to produce some outputs.

On the original question, the reason why many people drive instead of cycle or walk is because (in their opinion) it is too dangerous to walk or cycle around all those cars, so they fix the problem by becoming another car on the road (which then scares more people off cycling or walking!)

People are illegally parking around schools. There's no enforcement of existing laws. That's a different issue though.

The Understanding Walking and Cycling report goes a long way to explain why people in the UK don't walk or cycle short to mid distance trips... and I think a lot of it translates to Ireland:

323389.PNG

http://www.its.leeds.ac.uk/fileadmin/user_upload/UWCReportSept2011.pdf

Another quote which answers a lot of the OP's question:
    It is often assumed that short trips could easily be made by bicycle or on foot (e.g., DfT, 2011, pg 5), and the statistics suggest that there are many short trips that could be converted. According to the National Travel Survey (2010) 36.1% of trips under 2 miles and 53.0% of journeys under 5 miles undertaken by car, with walking accounting for 23.4% of all trips and cycling only 1.5% of all journeys. When compared to other European countries, whilst levels of walking are broadly similar, cycling in Britain is substantially less common than elsewhere. For instance in Sweden and Finland 9% of all trips are by bicycle, in Germany 10%, in Denmark 18% and in the Netherlands 26%. The research reported here suggests that assuming trips (in the UK) could be undertaken by bike or foot just because they are short is a rather simplistic approach that fails to fully understand the nature of the problem. A purely distance based understanding of the problem ignores difficulties caused by the physical environment, complex household interactions and a perception that walking and cycling are not normal. (Pages 1-2)

There's a good overview/assessment of the report here: http://aseasyasridingabike.wordpress.com/2011/09/09/the-understanding-walking-and-cycling-report-an-assessment/

Don't see how dropping on the way to work isn't justified by some posters. Our School doesn't supervise until 9.10, and even at that I struggle to make my 10am cut off for being in work. I'd love a suggestion to make that work without the car!

It all depends on where the school and your workplace are -- maybe there's another practical solution, but maybe there's not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

I'm not sure if this:
    However, the results of a new survey have recently been published and suggest that only one in four parents doing the school run by car are going on to work afterwards.

Can reliably be inferred from the report.

How were the options presented?

If you gave me the following options and only allowed me to pick one:
    1. It’s on the way to work
    2. The distance between home and the school is quite far
    3. It is safer for children to be dropped at the school door
    4. There are no public transport services available
    5. Are regularly running late in the morning.

I'd probably pick number 3, despite numbers 1, 2 & 4 also being true.

If I pick number 3, will you interpret that as me dropping off the kids and heading home rather than onwards to work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,619 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The strange thing I can't understand is that some posters seem to see absolutely no reason acceptable that children get dropped to school.. This is a quite blinkered view on life.

Definitely there are kids who could indeed walk/cycle rather than be dropped to the school, but equally there are those for whom the only sensible option is for them to be dropped by car.

It seriously discredits a person's point if they cannot accept that it cannot be 100% applied to EVERY situation no matter what.

AltAccount wrote: »
    How were the options presented?

If you gave me the following options and only allowed me to pick one:
    1. It’s on the way to work
    2. The distance between home and the school is quite far
    3. It is safer for children to be dropped at the school door
    4. There are no public transport services available
    5. Are regularly running late in the morning.

I'd probably pick number 3, despite numbers 1, 2 & 4 also being true.

If I pick number 3, will you interpret that as me dropping off the kids and heading home rather than onwards to work?

I haven't seen the original research or the questionnaire, so I'm not in a position to comment.

However, I did refer to another report, published by the Heart Alliance/Irish Heart Foundation and said to be based on the 2006 Census, which stated that "60% of parents who drop off by car don’t go to work".

What's of interest in the context of this thread is that the need to drive to work is often cited anecdotally as a reason for many if not most people doing the school run by car.

As I've already said, I had someone give me that exact "reason" again today, in the context of a discussion about the traffic mayhem around a particular school. He had nothing to go on except supposition, which is a lot weaker than either of the surveys referred to in this thread (eTrip and Census).

What is of most interest to me is that the supposed work travel imperative is being used to justify not just routine use of the car for the school run, but also the seemingly inevitable traffic and parking free-for-all around many schools. The cultural context is that motorists and their offspring are Too Important To Walk, because they have jobs to go to or whatever, and that parents and their children who walk, cycle and take the bus to school should just move over and make room for all the cars.

In fact my interlocutor today suggested that I should just avoid a particular route when cycling away from the school, after I pointed out that I frequently encountered motorists cutting a corner at speed and driving over the Stop line on the wrong side of the road in order to get as close as possible to the school (perhaps as little as 50 metres away). No mention of adherence to the Rules of the Road or the possibility that the law might be enforced. In other words, the onus is on the children and their parents walking and cycling to school to keep themselves safe, and nothing will be done about the motorists' behaviour, because they are busy people with important things to do under time pressure. If that's not another Irish two-tier system I'll eat my child's cycle helmet.

_Brian wrote: »
    It seriously discredits a person's point if they cannot accept that it cannot be 100% applied to EVERY situation no matter what.

Quote/link?

...No mention of adherence to the Rules of the Road or the possibility that the law might be enforced. In other words, the onus is on the children and their parents walking and cycling to school to keep themselves safe, and nothing will be done about the motorists' behaviour, because they are busy people with important things to do under time pressure. If that's not another Irish two-tier system I'll eat my child's cycle helmet....

Eat that helmet then. Because nothing is done about cyclists behavior, or their adherence to the rules of the road, or other relevant laws either.

I don't see what this has to do with getting drivers not to drive. Unless its entirely inconvenient and pointless people will still drive.

• Advertisement

RainyDay wrote: »
    I don't see the trip hazard issue. You don't generally see loads of people tripping over wheelie bags in airports or ferry ports.

You generally don't get gangs of kids starting at the age of 4 upwards rushing for planes while distracted by the simplest of things either.

It would have suited us anyway to have a wheelie bag, it's bloody difficult to find a non wheelie bag that's not the size of the junior infant carrying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

This topic will only go around in circles unless it is narrowed to either rural or urban areas. The two have completely different travel demands, patterns, and possibilities. There's certainly no one-size-fits-all statement that can be made for the entire country regarding travel to school. Even at that, there are huge differences in primary and secondary school travel patterns.

monument wrote: »
    Another quote which answers a lot of the OP's question:
    It is often assumed that short trips could easily be made by bicycle or on foot (e.g., DfT, 2011, pg 5), and the statistics suggest that there are many short trips that could be converted. According to the National Travel Survey (2010) 36.1% of trips under 2 miles and 53.0% of journeys under 5 miles undertaken by car, with walking accounting for 23.4% of all trips and cycling only 1.5% of all journeys. When compared to other European countries, whilst levels of walking are broadly similar, cycling in Britain is substantially less common than elsewhere. For instance in Sweden and Finland 9% of all trips are by bicycle, in Germany 10%, in Denmark 18% and in the Netherlands 26%. The research reported here suggests that assuming trips (in the UK) could be undertaken by bike or foot just because they are short is a rather simplistic approach that fails to fully understand the nature of the problem. A purely distance based understanding of the problem ignores difficulties caused by the physical environment, complex household interactions and a perception that walking and cycling are not normal.

It all depends on where the school and your workplace are -- maybe there's another practical solution, but maybe there's not.

I'm not sure that the above UK research is saying anything new in that regard.

Distance is an important indicator, and a very useful starting point, but it is far from the whole story.

I have already described in this thread the new school travel situation I have to adapt to, starting just today:
    The trip home by bike is very different from the trip to school in the morning. The later time means encountering more motoring mayhem than last year (people driving and parking on footpaths etc) and the change of direction means that there are new challenges in terms of safety and access, eg dangerous junctions and lack of pedestrian-priority crossings that the 7-year-old can use.

I don't cycle on the footpath, so I now have to work out a way to get home that allows me to stay close and which does not expose the child to danger.

Not easy. When I drove I didn't have to think about such things, a luxury that people in motorised metal boxes very much enjoy.

The distance is the same (3 km) but the trip to school and the trip home are quite different in terms of barriers and hazards. In fact I had to sit down and discuss with IWH-OH what the best route home might be, and which I will try out on Monday.

We don't have to do that when travelling by car.

However, it is also an undeniable fact that well over 80% of our neighbours aged 5 years and up travel by car to work, school or college. Yet their children go to the same set of schools, and their parents to the same parts of the city generally.

On the same routes to the same locations, the distances and the conditions are self-evidently the same, yet there is the hard reality of the 80% in cars versus the 20% travelling by other modes.

Perhaps the research should be focusing on the positives: eg the individual or family factors which determine or predict cycling or walking to school rather than driving, all other things being equal.

What's of interest in the context of this thread is that the need to drive to work is often cited anecdotally as a reason for many if not most people doing the school run by car.

As I've already said, I had someone give me that exact "reason" again today, in the context of a discussion about the traffic mayhem around a particular school. He had nothing to go on except supposition, which is a lot weaker than either of the surveys referred to in this thread (eTrip and Census).

How do pages 27 & 28 (and the rest of this document) tie in with your thinking?

http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/census/documents/census2011profile10/Profile,10,Commentary.pdf

The distance is the same (3 km) but the trip to school and the trip home are quite different in terms of barriers and hazards. In fact I had to sit down and discuss with IWH-OH what the best route home might be, and which I will try out on Monday.

We don't have to do that when travelling by car.

It strikes me, based on your descriptions so far, that you might be happier and safer in the car.
    Certainly, I'm sure it's this mode of thinking that has so many other people reaching for their car keys by default, and it's only your idealism that's letting you overcome that urge.
    Perhaps the research should be focusing on the positives: eg the individual or family factors which determine or predict cycling or walking to school rather than driving, all other things being equal.

And yet, your commentary about cycling to school is far from positive.

Eat that helmet then. Because nothing is done about cyclists behavior, or their adherence to the rules of the road, or other relevant laws either.

I don't see what this has to do with getting drivers not to drive. Unless its entirely inconvenient and pointless people will still drive.

It is Ireland after all. However, a key point is that there are very good reasons to promote walking and cycling to school, and none at all to promote or facilitate driving. Moreover, walking and cycling do not cause death and injury in the way driving does, so enforcement priorities are, or ought to be, very different.

The lack of enforcement (eg of parking violations, speeding, red light breaking etc) is one way in which the convenience of driving to school is maximised.

• Advertisement

I don't see what this has to do with getting drivers not to drive.

Danger from other motorists has been citied by more than one poster and comes up again again in surveys* of why people don't cycle (* including large, comprehensive studies like Understanding Walking and Cycling, which was already mentioned).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

Aard wrote: »
    This topic will only go around in circles unless it is narrowed to either rural or urban areas. The two have completely different travel demands, patterns, and possibilities.

Good point

I live in a congested Dublin southside area Rathgar/Terenure.

There are several schools and colleges around.

Since the school term began,the traffic is crazy.As most of the schools are local,this implies that kids are driven to school in large numbers.

Have also noticed the amount of new cars on the road,and the huge increase of 4x4's with single occupants,or one/two school kids.

Celtic tiger material.

AltAccount wrote: »
    It strikes me, based on your descriptions so far, that you might be happier and safer in the car.
    ... your commentary about cycling to school is far from positive.

I tried driving the school run once or twice a couple of years ago. Total insanity, imo. How anyone can pay so much of their hard-earned to sit in a car travelling at less than walking (or cycling) pace is beyond me.

I simply lack the patience for such carry-on. The greatest satisfaction with cycling is that, for the most part, you can keep moving.

IWH-OH took the bus a few times and had the same experience. Fuming at the bus stop waiting for a bus stuck in traffic somewhere on the route, and watching cyclist after cyclist whizzing by.

Active travel to school is inherently positive. The negatives are all environmental, human-made and modifiable.

I think you are largely missing the point. There is little enforcement, that approach will go nowhere. There isn't a big saving if you already need a car for something else. These are dead ends.

Make it awkward for drivers, by causing traffic jams, or making it take a long time, one ways systems etc. Then they'll consider the other options.

You are only looking at it from your own POV. Not from their POV where driving is more attractive.

monument wrote: »
    Danger from other motorists has been citied by more than one poster and comes up again again in surveys* of why people don't cycle (* including large, comprehensive studies like Understanding Walking and Cycling, which was already mentioned).

I was more referring to the idea that there was two tier enforcement bias for drivers.

Many say its dangerous, without having any experience, or done any research into the subject.

• Advertisement
Advertisement