Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE2 relaunch September 2014

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,519 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

As I understand it only the announcemt is tommorow, the on-air changes will take place at a later point (November has been mentioned by some).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

More reality tv apparently. Fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

They still can't manage to get it into space?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

So RTE2 relaunches tomorrow. Why on a Thursday? :confused:

Anyway, here's what the Indo has to say about it:

http://www.independent.ie/business/media/total-revamp-for-rte2-as-it-launches-new-tv-offensive-30566079.html

"More shows will be Irish-made than ever before. "Post 9pm, most of our content with be Irish," said RTE's head of television Glen Killane."

Are there no subs left in the Indo?

• Advertisement

Monday 22nd for the on air changes, and the name reverts to the original, RTE2.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

Oh dear oh dear oh dear. :-)

The tagline may as well be "More of the same cheap ****e as every other year".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

Nothing Original there at all. Why bother relaunching if its more of the same cr@p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Cork_chick_94

Can't believe that they are bringing back the republic of telly again, That show ran out of steam about 3 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Can't believe that they are bringing back the republic of telly again, That show ran out of steam about 3 years ago.

Republic of Telly seems to be the televisual equivalent of Rasputin - quite mad, highly praised by the powers-that-be, hated by just about every sensible person, and seemingly unable to die. :o:o:o;)

That they're bringing back The Fear as well, and giving Jennifer Maguire a "brand new transformation series", shows that they still seem to think that she's the best thing since sliced bread... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Nor are they thinking any less highly of Bressie, Darren Kennedy and Eoghan McDermott.

They're also bringing back Una's Dream Ticket - seemingly not caring about the many similarities it has with a show hosted by a certain crazy white-haired man from Yorkshire.

And as if to top it all off, the new presentation will retain the overwhelmingly green colour scheme that has been in use for the past decade... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,838 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Jennifer Maguire has conveniently become up-the-duff, so thats their plan for her to carry the entire Channel blown out of the water, however much to the relief of the viewer I would argue.

The content they have announced would be more suitable on a digital channel fronted by Pajo and Kevin from Phyisquiz. Then RTÉ2 could carry on with quality imported drama and the odd bit of sport and a good movie now and then, thats all people really want.

I'm 39 so I guess I'm 4 years beyond the target demographic or in other words 25 years beyond the mental demographic. Where do I get a part refund on my telly licence so, if I'm being so pigeon holed out of a big chunk of their spending?

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Jennifer Maguire has conveniently become up-the-duff, so thats their plan for her to carry the entire Channel blown out of the water, however much to the relief of the viewer I would argue.

Oh, they'll make sure she won't spend a long time away from our screens. :rolleyes: ;)

The content they have announced would be more suitable on a digital channel fronted by Pajo and Kevin from Phyisquiz. Then RTÉ2 could carry on with quality imported drama and the odd bit of sport and a good movie now and then, thats all people really want.

Try telling that to Glen Killane and Bill Malone... :rolleyes:

I'm 39 so I guess I'm 4 years beyond the target demographic or in other words 25 years beyond the mental demographic. Where do I get a part refund on my telly licence so, if I'm being so pigeon holed out of a big chunk of their spending?

Nowhere, I'm afraid.

You'll just have to grin and bear it. We all do. :( :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

They should rebrand back to network2. Hasn't been the same since they left that name behind

s8n wrote: »
    They should rebrand back to network2. Hasn't been the same since they left that name behind

The channel was still called Network 2 when it became a mainly "yoof" channel in 1997 - but it only really started to plunge downmarket when it was renamed back to RTE2 in 2004.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Jennifer Maguire and Darren Kennedy in a program called The Unemployables

The full title is actually The Unemployables *except for at RTE, where we will give any eedjit a job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

gazzer wrote: »
    Nothing Original there at all. Why bother relaunching if its more of the same cr@p

Because they spent a load of money with some UK firm to do up some fancy new graphics and they're damned if they're going to let that money not be seen in a lovely fancy spread in the Indo.

Is there no decent graphics places in Ireland they could use for feck's sake?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

So more Irish programs after 9, well except for the re-runs when it's too late and when there's soccer on. Oh yeah, we'll also be showing "funny" stuff cause we're terrified of passing up on the next Father Ted.

I can honestly say that if it's not for live sport that I never watch RTÉ

• Registered Users Posts: 28,715 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Jesus.. someone actually signed off on that shyte??? :eek:

Wall-to-wall reality nonsense, RTEs version of C4 Gypsy Weddings, and "edgy comedy" with lots of bad language for "shock" value.

This is what they expect people to pay a TV license for??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

What an absolute load of sh*t.
    I thought that ad for 'Connected' where yer wan says she got grabbed in the @ss was a p*ss take! obviously not.
    And we get to watch an interview with Rosanna Davison mull over her topless playboy photos with her big fake t*ts on display...great.
    Same ol presenters and some maaaad gameshow where your asked a few dares like...eh... would you rather stick burning needles in your eyes or watch this sh*te?!
    Absolute rubbish TV.

Not one word on the new look now that it's gone live?

Can't say I blame anyone, really - there isn't much to say about it besides the fact that it's Not Great. :o;)

I will say, however, that after years of seeing the "RTE TWO" DOG in the top right corner of the screen, it'll take a while to get used to its shorter "RTE2" replacement:

9bd6dv.jpg

mjogvt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Time to put the channel out of it's misery. (and ours)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭lertsnim

madmaggie wrote: »

Same would apply to every channel in that case.

madmaggie wrote: »

Not gonna happen soon, alas.

It'll definitely still be around in four years' time, when it turns 40.

And I can't see much change between now and then (and hence this milestone probably won't be celebrated). :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Subjected myself to that Connected thing the last 2 nights, and it is no exaggeration it has been 50% girls crying into a camera they are filming themselves with:D

Not one word on the new look now that it's gone live?

Can't say I blame anyone, really - there isn't much to say about it besides the fact that it's Not Great. :o;)

I will say, however, that after years of seeing the "RTE TWO" DOG in the top right corner of the screen, it'll take a while to get used to its shorter "RTE2" replacement:

9bd6dv.jpg

mjogvt.jpg

I hope those were taken from the RTE Player as the two idents are a bit overkill.

Not gonna happen soon, alas.

It'll definitely still be around in four years' time, when it turns 40.

And I can't see much change between now and then (and hence this milestone probably won't be celebrated). :rolleyes:

As an aside, I can't remember RTE2 celebrating any of its milestone birthdays - probably due to its frequent name changes. Though it did participate in the RTE TV 40 celebrations, ironically at the height of the N2 era when it's RTE ownership was barely acknowledged on air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Please tell me this is a p*ss-take.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Please tell me this is a p*ss-take.

Down wif da kids........

Super_Awsome_Rad_Kid.jpg

They haven't got a clue how to spend the publics money.

Advertisement