Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

blocked drain

Options
  • 24-10-2012 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭

hi can anyone offer me any advice as i have blocked the drain in my kitchen sink, most likely with bleach(I know not the smartest idea)
    nothing is getting it up ive had bleach in all night, the u-turn underneath the sink is so tight I can't unscrew it.
    Any ideas would be great as the sink is half filled with water and the dishes are piling up lol

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

you can get a flexible drain unblocker for a few euros

I doubt it is blocked with bleach though, more likely its food waste?

I wouldnt open the u bend as then whats in there might come out

I'd boil a bit of water and pour that down, if that doesnt work, try the unblocker i mention.

You could also use a plunger if you have one, Id clean it with boiling water (in case it has previously been down a toilet, or if you can get a type of unblocker for sinks and drains and keep it soley for that reason)

When you press down on it, cover the overflow drain near the plug chain with a cloth, to keep the air pressure acting on the blockage.

Some chemical cleaners aren't for use in standing water (ie sink full)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

hi can anyone offer me any advice as i have blocked the drain in my kitchen sink, most likely with bleach(I know not the smartest idea)
    nothing is getting it up ive had bleach in all night, the u-turn underneath the sink is so tight I can't unscrew it.
    Any ideas would be great as the sink is half filled with water and the dishes are piling up lol

edit: sorry I meant blocked with grease

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Merch wrote: »
    you can get a flexible drain unblocker for a few euros

I doubt it is blocked with bleach though, more likely its food waste?

I wouldnt open the u bend as then whats in there might come out

I'd boil a bit of water and pour that down, if that doesnt work, try the unblocker i mention.

You could also use a plunger if you have one, Id clean it with boiling water (in case it has previously been down a toilet, or if you can get a type of unblocker for sinks and drains and keep it soley for that reason)

When you press down on it, cover the overflow drain near the plug chain with a cloth, to keep the air pressure acting on the blockage.

Some chemical cleaners aren't for use in standing water (ie sink full)

I Will try get one of those drain unblocker tomorrow.Thanks for your reply

• Registered Users Posts: 13 HomeRepair.ie

Befor you do that :eek: Try This;
    Try and empty as much or all of the water out of the sink before you try this.
    You need three items, half cup of Baking Soda, half cup of White Vinegar and some boiling water.
    1: Pour the half cup of Bread Soda down the plug hole.
    2: Follow that with the half cup of Vinegar.
    This will start to bubble and fizz.
    Let it continue to bubble, when it is all done pour some of the boiling water into the plughole. This should clear the blockage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

DO NOT put any other chemicals into your sink after putting Bleach into your sink, ia combination of chemicals such as advised can constitute a hazzard and could combust. As per the earlier advise remove anything including the water from your sink and get a drain worm from your local hardware/ plumbing merchants and use that, then pour boiling hot water down your sink, and put boiling water down your sink regularly. Putting bleach into your stainless steel sink will damage the stainless steel and start forming pinholes and rust.

• Advertisement
Advertisement