Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tab S 8.4 vs Nexus 9

• 31-10-2014 1:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

In the market for a new tablet.

I am comparing the Samsung Tab S 8.4 and the Nexus 9, just don't know which to choose! The expandable storage is a plus on the Samsung, and the Super AMOLED screen is great for my movie watching and photo viewing.

Which one do you think is worth the buy?

Both retail here for €399. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

I have exactly the same dilemma... However on the minus side I hate touch wizz and would have to stick to custom roms...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Touch Whizz rules out Samsung for me... Laggy and bloaty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Touch Whizz rules out Samsung for me... Laggy and bloaty

Aye, and if it's not terrible straight away it will be after 3-4 months use.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭droidman123

Sam Mac wrote: »
    Hi guys

In the market for a new tablet.

I am comparing the Samsung Tab S 8.4 and the Nexus 9, just don't know which to choose! The expandable storage is a plus on the Samsung, and the Super AMOLED screen is great for my movie watching and photo viewing.

Which one do you think is worth the buy?

Both retail here for €399. :)

The nexus 9 has expandable storage too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

I believe the op means sd card port. All tablets have expandable storage on the cloud or with a usb otg adaptor.

• Advertisement

This is not the case, unless you are talking about proprietary systems, which are no the same thing.

Otg is expandable storage no matter what way you look at it.I have a jetflash micro 32gb USB stick,which is less than half the size of a regular USB stick and is not at all obtrusive.I keep movies and photos on it,effectively my nexus 10 and 7 32 GB is expanded to 64gb,os excluded. A lot of people are not aware of these otg sticks and think they are stuck with 16/32gb on their tablets when in fact that storage can be expanded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Otg is expandable storage no matter what way you look at it.I have a jetflash micro 32gb USB stick,which is less than half the size of a regular USB stick and is not at all obtrusive.I keep movies and photos on it,effectively my nexus 10 and 7 32 GB is expanded to 64gb,os excluded. A lot of people are not aware of these otg sticks and think they are stuck with 16/32gb on their tablets when in fact that storage can be expanded.

But it's not. It just isn't. It's additional external storage, not an expansion of the device's own storage capacity, no more than connecting a PC to an external hard drive is expanding that PC's own storage. Claiming otherwise is just silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Technically the cloud is expandable storage 😛

So technically, when I'm travelling light all I need to do is pack an extra dongle and a USB drive and download some extra third party software to make my tablet expandable... while its okay in some scenarios, its definitely not useful to me... I don't want that hanging off my tablet when I'm trying to use it, and its more fiddly stuff I'd need to travel with.

As for using the cloud as additional storage... great for keeping files, and I use it allot, but I end up in allot of scenario's where it would be useless due to lack of wifi access.

Fact of the matter is that the nexus 9 doesn't support expandable storage out of the box...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,032 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Technically the cloud is expandable storage 😛

Not without some type of Internet connection. Expandable means internal, anything requiring wires, hanging off the boby or an Internet connection is external storage.

corwill wrote: »
    But it's not. It just isn't. It's additional external storage, not an expansion of the device's own storage capacity, no more than connecting a PC to an external hard drive is expanding that PC's own storage. Claiming otherwise is just silly.

not silly at all.comparing connecting an external hard drive to a pc is way off. a micro sd slot in a tablet is described as having expandable storage,same imo as an otg stick.the point is, an otg is as portable as a micro sd card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

If you apply that argument to OTG, you can apply the exact same one to SD cards. Just because one is "inside" the device and one isn't, doesn't mean that they're not both external storage, which they are.

So technically, when I'm travelling light all I need to do is pack an extra dongle and a USB drive and download some extra third party software to make my tablet expandable... while its okay in some scenarios, its definitely not useful to me... I don't want that hanging off my tablet when I'm trying to use it, and its more fiddly stuff I'd need to travel with.

As for using the cloud as additional storage... great for keeping files, and I use it allot, but I end up in allot of scenario's where it would be useless due to lack of wifi access.

Fact of the matter is that the nexus 9 doesn't support expandable storage out of the box...

why would you use that ridiculous dongle? I certainly wouldn't. read my posts about a usb otg, about a third the size of a regular usb stick, it just plugs into your micro port and away you go.this is one of the otg,s I use, do you really think this is much more hassle to carry around than a micro sd card?

http://www.memoryc.ie/products/description/32GB_Transcend_Jetflash_380S_OTG_USB2_0_Flash_Drive-Silver_Edition/index.html

If you apply that argument to OTG, you can apply the exact same one to SD cards. Just because one is "inside" the device and one isn't, doesn't mean that they're not both external storage, which they are.

Why not just carry a laptop, instead of all those extra accessories... it would be simpler and a lot more practical...

why would you use that ridiculous dongle? I certainly wouldn't. read my posts about a usb otg, about a third the size of a regular usb stick, it just plugs into your micro port and away you go.

Its still impractical for me to carry and I don't want a USB drive sticking out of my tablet while I'm using it...

You'd look like a clown in a meeting attaching that thing to your tablet and going through third party apps just to find the files... kinda defeats the purpose of a tablet.

Its still impractical for me to carry and I don't want a USB drive sticking out of my tablet while I'm using it...

You'd look like a clown in a meeting attaching that thing to your tablet and going through third party apps just to find the files... kinda defeats the purpose of a tablet.

why would something barely bigger than a sd card be impractical to carry around? the thing is tiny. you seem to think that you need that otg dongle and a regular usb stick, not true.

why would something barely bigger than a sd card be impractical to carry around? the thing is tiny. you seem to think that you need that otg dongle and a regular usb stick, not true.

An SD card spends most of its life inside the machine. This special USB drive i an addition item for me to carry and to lose. Its tiny, I couldn't just put it in my bag... it'd fall out and get lost, I'm not gonna carry it in my pocket because I travel light and concentrate on not having crap like that on my person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

not silly at all.comparing connecting an external hard drive to a pc is way off. a micro sd slot in a tablet is described as having expandable storage,same imo as an otg stick.the point is, an otg is as portable as a micro sd card.

Nonsense, for the reasons already pointed out. Sounds like folks around here are defensive about a shortcoming of their chosen device.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

In fairness, an SD card slot in a device is MUCH easier than having to connect a dongle to your device every time you want to access external storage. For me, anything other than an SD card is just hassle and added bulk.

• Advertisement

Nonsense, for the reasons already pointed out. Sounds like folks around here are defensive about a shortcoming of their chosen device.

Just to be clear, I am not defensive about the device and don't see the lack of expandable memory as a shortcoming. I just see these accessories as a pain in the hole and they defeat the purpose simplicity of using a tablet.

I'll just get myself a 32gb tablet and manage my filing... much simpler solution...

An SD card spends most of its life inside the machine. This special USB drive i an addition item for me to carry and to lose. Its tiny, I couldn't just put it in my bag... it'd fall out and get lost, I'm not gonna carry it in my pocket because I travel light and concentrate on not having crap like that on my person.
    I just think you are exaggerating the whole experience,using full usb sticks and otg cables which I agree look ridiculous and are impractical, but I really don't see where the hassle is just plugging one of those tiny usb otg,s into your tablet and having all your movies and/or photos ready to play.i don't know if you ever seen one in a tablet, but honestly you would hardly even notice them.anyway, my original post for people who are not aware that you can indeed expand your storage on your tablets with no problem at all,20 euro for an extra 32gb seems good value to me. forget about usb sticks and dongles,that is just confusing the issue and making out that you would need a small haversack to carry your expandable storge around

In fairness, an SD card slot in a device is MUCH easier than having to connect a dongle to your device every time you want to access external storage. For me, anything other than an SD card is just hassle and added bulk.

is there anyone actually reading my posts? what dongle? why would you use one of those? when did I mention a dongle?

what shortcoming? I have had the nexus 7 2012,nexus 7 2013,nexus 10, and shortly the nexus 9. I was aware of the lack of sd card slot when I bought these devices, why would I be defensive?.the lack of sd card was never an issue,32 gb was always enough space for me.if I am travelling I put 30 movies on my otg stick and plug it in, no hassle,no problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Zen 2nd

If you are big into your movie watching, you have to remember that the Nexus 9 has a 4:3 aspect ratio meaning you'll get black boarders when watching films.

However books, comics, websites will be much easier to read as a result.

I myself, will be picking up a Nexus 9 and wouldn't even consider Samsung products any more (bar their TVs).

Zen 2nd wrote: »
    If you are big into your movie watching, you have to remember that the Nexus 9 has a 4:3 aspect ratio meaning you'll get black boarders when watching films.

However books, comics, websites will be much easier to read as a result.

I myself, will be picking up a Nexus 9 and wouldn't even consider Samsung products any more (bar their TVs).

Samsung's SuperAMOLED screens are fantastic for media, which is why their devices are usually my primary choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Samsung's SuperAMOLED screens are fantastic for media, which is why their devices are usually my primary choice.

You still haven't got a tablet, what happened with the tab s you were ordering directly from samsung? Did you get ant satisfaction from them in the end.
    Back ot, between the two choices you have I think you should get the Nexus 9.

54kroc wrote: »
    You still haven't got a tablet, what happened with the tab s you were ordering directly from samsung? Did you get ant satisfaction from them in the end.
    Back ot, between the two choices you have I think you should get the Nexus 9.

Samsung refused to ship to ParcelMotel.

do you own the Tab S?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Samsung refused to ship to ParcelMotel.

do you own the Tab S?

Before I bought my Z2 tab I spent a bit of time with the Tab S, the Z2 was the better all rounder for me.
    Saying that I'm selling my Z2 Tab and I just sold my M8.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

I have a tab s since June with Nova launcher. Have absolutely no issues with lag of any sort.

What I love about the tablet is how thin it is with the book cover. No idea if the Nexus is the same.

The only thing that bothers me is not knowing if and when new versions of Android will be released for it.
    Oh and our come with a lot of boatware but they can all be disabled.
    Oh and I don't like that anytime I turn it on that it displays a notification that an SD card is installed.

Other than that, it's great.

Advertisement