Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Curragh this Sunday- what to wear?

• 25-06-2012 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi all,
    In a bit of a panic. OH got invited through work for lunch and races at the Curragh on Sunday. Haven't a clue what to wear. Had a look online and from what I can make out Saturday is Ladies Day but can't figure out what sort of a day Sunday is. If anyone knows the dress code for these events, please fill me in.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭xxkarenxx

so many qs wrote: »
    Hi all,
    In a bit of a panic. OH got invited through work for lunch and races at the Curragh on Sunday. Haven't a clue what to wear. Had a look online and from what I can make out Saturday is Ladies Day but can't figure out what sort of a day Sunday is. If anyone knows the dress code for these events, please fill me in.

Sunday is ladies day as well, it's Ultimate Ladies Day or something like that. It is not compulsory to wear a hat or fascinator but if you are into that then go for it! A nice dress and heels, nothing too short and Saturday night clubbing type of dress, a little balero or something could be nice if you have one. Basically anything that is dressy, no jeans or tshirts type of thing. I love going racing as a day to get all dressed up and go all out but you definitely don't need to spend a fortune on an outfit. I have never bought anything especially for ladies days other than materials for my hats. Have a good time on Sunday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 so many qs

Thanks so much for that Karen. That was my dilemma. I didn't know if it was 'smart' clothing or dressy like a wedding. I have a few knee length dresses ready for upcoming weddings so hopefully I can wear one of them. I was worried that I'd be overdressed as I thought only Saturday was about getting glammed up. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

Just remember to also dress for the weather.... Don't forget that there'll always be a breeze at the races because you're outdoors a lot (at least going to and from the carpark), so a warm cardigan, bolero, wrap and/or a light/warm coat or jacket are a good idea. Also, bear in mind that you may have to walk a distance from the carpark to the enclosure, and that you may be standing a lot during the day, so a pair of comfortable shoes are also to be recommended. A pair of flats to walk to and from the carpark may be a good idea, especially as the surfaces will comprise of grass, gravel and tarmac!

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Evil_g

Hey. Sorry for bumping last years thread but I'm heading to the Curragh for Derby Day this Saturday. I'm told it's ladies' day but am I (a guy) expected to wear a suit? I don't mind doing so but I don't want to be over dressed either.

Yep, definitely a suit!

• Advertisement

Really? Ha! I asked the same question over on the horse racing forum and it's hilarious how different the answer I got was.

I'd rather be slightly over dressed than underdressed but I don't want to look like a complete plonker either.

I've been to the Galway Races plenty of times and people generally make an effort there but the tiny bit I can find online about the Curragh seems to suggest that it's a lot more casual.

Derby and Oaks day are big days on the Curragh and most people will definitely wear suits. Flat is always more dressy than NH (but that's probably due to the fact that flat is supposedly more 'summery').

Great, thanks a million. The folks over on the racing forum seem to have arrived at the concensus that a suit is the way to go also.

Advertisement