Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

downstairs zone v water zone temp

Options
  • 25-10-2012 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭

what would people recommend as a guideline for heating a water zone. ie if you have downstairs (hall) zone at 24c what should you set your hot water one to be - or does the water cylinder coil get heated automatically with switching on the central heating and the water heating zone only relevant for summer months?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

If you have a seperate hot water zone it should have a stat on the cylinder set to 60c.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

Do you have a thermostat on your cylinder? If so you probably have two separate zones and the cylinder will not heat when the central heating is on only. The cylinder stat should be set to 60oC as this is the recommended temperature of stored hot water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

i thought that was to stop the max the water can go to - i have 3 zone controllers,1 up, 1 down and 1 for water. Does the temp on the water zone not do anything then and it is only useful for timing on the boiler?

JohnnieK wrote: »
    Do you have a thermostat on your cylinder? If so you probably have two separate zones and the cylinder will not heat when the central heating is on only. The cylinder stat should be set to 60oC as this is the recommended temperature of stored hot water.

Will have a look at the cylinder not sure i know what i am looking for but will check on google - during the summer we have to stick the water zone (in beside the boiler in the utility room) upto around 30 to get any hot water from the boiler (rads do not come on).

i thought that was to stop the max the water can go to - i have 3 zone controllers,1 up, 1 down and 1 for water. Does the temp on the water zone not do anything then and it is only useful for timing on the boiler?

Do you have a 3 channel time clock?

With the stat set to 60 when the heating water in the coil in the cylinder heats the cylinder to 60 it will shut down the zone valve and if wired correctly shut down the boiler preventing it form overheating the cylinder.

• Advertisement

Do you have a 3 channel time clock?.

not sure - really flying by the seat of my pants here as to what i do have - the 3 zones can be controlled by time and temp, 1 in hall, 1 in master bedroom and 1 in the utility room.

In the Utility?? I think you will have to put up a few pics if you can.

In the Utility?? I think you will have to put up a few pics if you can.

will do - but the utility room one is for controlling the water - we were told when we bought house - and it is the one we would change to get hot water in summer.

will do - but the utility room one is for controlling the water - we were told when we bought house - and it is the one we would change to get hot water in summer.

But your putting it to 30:confused: in the summer I dont understand. It should be strapped to the side of the cylinder!!

What you have sounds like another room stat in the utility.

But your putting it to 30:confused: in the summer I dont understand. It should be strapped to the side of the cylinder!!

What you have sounds like another room stat in the utility.
    :) glad i am not the only one.

we stick it to 30 as the boiler will not come on unless the it is trying to get warmer than the air temp I thought? This is what we were told and as the guy showing us the ins and outs knew no more I couldn't get anymore info out of him.

a penny has just dropped though based on your comment above. really what we should have to heat water in the summer is a switch to turn on the boiler for water only with the thermostat controlling the temp on the cylinder itself - am i right? unless of course the thermostat in the utility room is connected to the boiler? these are the thermostats i have

http://www.sunvic.co.uk/tlx6501.htm

• Advertisement

a penny has just dropped though based on your comment above. really what we should have to heat water in the summer is a switch to turn on the boiler for water only with the thermostat controlling the temp on the cylinder itself - am i right? unless of course the thermostat in the utility room is connected to the boiler?

Your dead right.

It's a programmable room stat and it wont control the cylinder properly.

It's a programmable room stat and it wont control the cylinder properly.
    so essentially it is just reacting to the temp in the utility room to fire up the boiler and heating the coil in the water cylinder is just a by product of that. Would explain why we never get water that is scalding hot (not that i mind that). I can only assume the reason they put the room stat there is to program times for putting on hot water in the summer - can't think of any other reason to do so?

Thanks for the help explaining this - seems logical once it is worked out but having never looked at central heating before I didn't have a lot of knowledge to start with :)

The gas thing is you can get equivalent ones for hot water cylinders. A clock and stat would have been cheaper than whats there.

Advertisement