Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mynute 16e no preasure at gauge

Options
  • 23-10-2012 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hey guys,

It's getting cold, middle of the night and the pressure on my boiler dropped to 0. I've tried topping it back in but no luck. I assume that the filler valve is valve number 7 (see photo) but it was already open and nothing is happening. Any idea how to fill that system? I have a tank in the attic if that makes any difference.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭browner85

looks like it is valve 5 to top up heating !

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ziewacz

Hmmm you might be right. This one was open as well since i moved in and nothing happens no matter if it's closed or open. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

ziewacz wrote: »
    Hmmm you might be right. This one was open as well since i moved in and nothing happens no matter if it's closed or open. Any ideas?

The brass cylindrical object below valve 5 in the picture is a non return valve. This is more than likely blocked or faulty and should be replaced first off. Then the system has to be checked as to why it lost pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ziewacz

Thanks JohnnieK, i was afraid of that. i gave Airtricity a call and they can send someone in next Wendsday. That's over a week without hot water or heating in the house. Is this difficult to replace? Any tips or walkthroughs would be great.

Do you have to drain the entire system to replace it? Also do you know if it's a F x F valve or C x C? (i assume it's the second one but not 100% sure)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

ziewacz wrote: »
    Thanks JohnnieK, i was afraid of that. i gave Airtricity a call and they can send someone in next Wendsday. That's over a week without hot water or heating in the house. Is this difficult to replace? Any tips or walkthroughs would be great.

Do you have to drain the entire system to replace it? Also do you know if it's a F x F valve or C x C? (i assume it's the second one but not 100% sure)

It's a 1/2 inch non return valve. All you have to do is turn the valve off, there is no pressure in the system so just carefully undo the nuts on the non return and put the new one in. Put a towel on the bottom because there might be a trickle of water left in the pipe. Once in place turn the valve back on.

I doubt aurtricity will do it for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭gdavis

and make sure arrow on new one is facing right way (downwards)

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭esox28

if you are not confendent enough to complete the work try your local plumber he'll fix in no time and charge € 40/ 50 supply and fit.

Advertisement