Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying bitcoins

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

nm wrote: »
    Insolvent, been obvious for a long time. Once the initial news passes this is definitely a good thing.
    Gox were single handedly responsible for 90% of the volatility and crashes, some of it on purpose seemingly.
    Sorry for those who had funds on there but as for the team and exchange itself - good riddance.

good riddance indeed - we're probably looking at a serious price drop as the market digests this news and nervous people sell.

However given the momentum elsewhere, I think that it's temporary and that it represents the cheapest price you'll ever acquire a bitcoin from now on.

BTC is up over 100$ since it's low of 400, but this would scare me:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    BTC is up over 100$ since it's low of 400, but this would scare me:

If you're going to apply that to Bitcoin, it goes more like this:

http://i.imgur.com/nEnQrWl.jpg

See April 2013 in the chart you posted for the last time everyone was posting the bubble chart.

A log scale chart is the best way to view the long term trend: http://bitcoincharts.com/charts/bitstampUSD#tgSzm1g10zm2g25zvzl

It'll be interesting to see if it drops lower than 400 in the short term though, a lot of mainstream media thinks Gox owns or controls Bitcoin in general, there's going to be so much FUD and panic over this.

alb wrote: »
    If you're going to apply that to Bitcoin, it goes more like this:

http://i.imgur.com/nEnQrWl.jpg

See April 2013 in the chart you posted for the last time everyone was posting the bubble chart.

A log scale chart is the best way to view the long term trend: http://bitcoincharts.com/charts/bitstampUSD#tgSzm1g10zm2g25zvzl

It'll be interesting to see if it drops lower than 400 in the short term though, a lot of mainstream media thinks Gox owns or controls Bitcoin in general, there's going to be so much FUD and panic over this.

True, but it does bear a striking resemblance right now. And one might also think that greed has been replaced by fear for many people. Only time will tell - the real people who've lost out are those with large (and smaller too, I guess) quantities of coin on the MT Gox server.

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    True, but it does bear a striking resemblance right now. And one might also think that greed has been replaced by fear for many people. Only time will tell - the real people who've lost out are those with large (and smaller too, I guess) quantities of coin on the MT Gox server.

I'm sure people who don't understand Bitcoin but jumped in to get rich quick are likely to panic for sure - like whoever sold at $400 last night. I'm actually surprised the price is only currently 3% lower than today's opening price on bitstamp, maybe a lot of the panic hasn't even started yet. Time will tell.

The best outcome of this will be for Bitcoin users to realise the risk they take when they transfer control of their coins to a third party, and stop using exchanges as storage wallets. It will hopefully push other exchanges to be more transparent about their solvency either through their own desire to attract customers, or via government regulation (which is coming in the states at least anyway).

Ideally I would like to see completely decentralised exchanges, where no trust of any third party is needed at all, unfortunately we're not quite there yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭12 element

How anyone could think having hundreds of thousands of dollars deposited on a Magic the Gathering card exchange website is beyond me.

12 element wrote: »
    How anyone could think having hundreds of thousands of dollars deposited on a Magic the Gathering card exchange website is beyond me.

OMG how could people have billions of dollars invested in a petro company that was set up to sell seashells ... OMG OMG.

Wait I'll tell you another one ... it'll have you in hysterics, I know some people who bought a computer from ... wait for it ... a typewriter company .. LOLZ

pH wrote: »
    OMG how could people have billions of dollars invested in a petro company that was set up to sell seashells ... OMG OMG.

Wait I'll tell you another one ... it'll have you in hysterics, I know some people who bought a computer from ... wait for it ... a typewriter company .. LOLZ

Sure because that is the exact same thing...

Sure because that is the exact same thing...

Yes it is - a company that is created for some seemingly trivial thing (seashells) can indeed evolve into something else (a petrochem giant)

Once you have trading software, in theory you can apply that software to anything, sure you are dismissive of MTG cards, but there's no difference in trading them that trading any product. As it turns out MTGOX seem to have been incompetent fools, but that has nothing to do with the fact they once traded game cards.

Anyway, to add a bit of perspective to all the "bitcoin is dead" media

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2011/06/20/so-thats-the-end-of-bitcoin-then/

(Oh wait what's the date on that?)

I guess if you're forbes/bloomberg/LA times/WSJ and you produce a "bitcoin is dead" article for every piece of negative news, there's a small chance of being right once.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Yes it is - a company that is created for some seemingly trivial thing (seashells) can indeed evolve into something else (a petrochem giant)

Once you have trading software, in theory you can apply that software to anything, sure you are dismissive of MTG cards, but there's no difference in trading them that trading any product.[..]
    Except that bitcoins are stored in the network of computers (call it blockchain if you want) which makes them completely different to any other item physical or not that can be sold. All you have is the key to access those that are yours.
    I don't think you can "apply that [typical trading] software to anything".

P.S. I should promise myself to buy some bitcoins every time I see an article "bitcoin is dead" ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

"-I want to start off by saying that I've been waiting for this moment for a while. I knew it was bound to happen sooner or later, as soon as we weren't able to withdraw our coins from Mt. Gox weeks ago. I stupidly had my life's savings in bitcoin, and when the price started to fall, I converted to dollars and watched the price plummet. I lost $357,000. Not to try to earn a bunch of sympathy or anything but this was not only my money but it was going to be my 5 year old son's education fund which i took out of fidelity about 1 year ago to mess with bitcoins. I dont know what the **** to do any more. I'm sitting here on reddit looking for comfort or just something but I don't know what I'm going to do now at all. I don't have **** to live for any more and the only thing I have left is just talking about it here I guess. I can't express what I'm feeling right now. THat **** was just sitting there and I couldn't take it out how could this whole shop just pack up and dissapear? I don't know if anyone here knows the facts or whats going on but I want to or if you have any slighest shred of evidence that its possible they arent really gone please et me know here. if im never going to see my money again all of it im going to either kill myself which i dont want to do because i want to live even though i have nothing to live for now, except my son who is now completely ****ed"

One guy ^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

"-I want to start off by saying that I've been waiting for this moment for a while. I knew it was bound to happen sooner or later, as soon as we weren't able to withdraw our coins from Mt. Gox weeks ago. I stupidly had my life's savings in bitcoin, and when the price started to fall, I converted to dollars and watched the price plummet. I lost $357,000. Not to try to earn a bunch of sympathy or anything but this was not only my money but it was going to be my 5 year old son's education fund which i took out of fidelity about 1 year ago to mess with bitcoins. I dont know what the **** to do any more. I'm sitting here on reddit looking for comfort or just something but I don't know what I'm going to do now at all. I don't have **** to live for any more and the only thing I have left is just talking about it here I guess. I can't express what I'm feeling right now. THat **** was just sitting there and I couldn't take it out how could this whole shop just pack up and dissapear? I don't know if anyone here knows the facts or whats going on but I want to or if you have any slighest shred of evidence that its possible they arent really gone please et me know here. if im never going to see my money again all of it im going to either kill myself which i dont want to do because i want to live even though i have nothing to live for now, except my son who is now completely ****ed"

One guy ^^

I've sympathy but the mt gox situation isn't sudden or new news, it has been all over the media and internet for at least 8 months that mt gox were in danger of becoming insolvent. What kind of an eijot leaves his life savings and sons education fund anywhere that like that? He has had the best part of a year to sort this out, all he needed to do was buy BTC again on gox and transfer it to any one of the countless fully functioning exchanges.

Problem solved.

I find it hard to believe anyone could be that stupid but if it is true, he's no one but himself to blame, sorry.

I've sympathy but the mt gox situation isn't sudden or new news, it has been all over the media and internet for at least 8 months that mt gox were in danger of becoming insolvent. What kind of an eijot leaves his life savings and sons education fund anywhere that like that? He has had the best part of a year to sort this out, all he needed to do was buy BTC again on gox and transfer it to any one of the countless fully functioning exchanges.

Problem solved.

I find it hard to believe anyone could be that stupid but if it is true, he's no one but himself to blame, sorry.

Even more so, you don't need to keep bitcoins in an exchange at all, there are a number of options but by far the safest is to transfer them to paper wallets, or a secure offline wallet like armory.

If true it's a sad story, but in many ways the correct response (in terms of this thread) is "So what?". How many countless similar stories could be told by Madoff investors, or indeed holders of many Irish bank stocks recently.

There are many lessons to be learned but the irony here is that in many ways bitcoin is the *solution* to all this, it allows people take total control of their cash assets in a way that they're not beholden to anyone and can spend/send their own money with vary little interference from anyone else.

Even more so, you don't need to keep bitcoins in an exchange at all, there are a number of options but by far the safest is to transfer them to paper wallets, or a secure offline wallet like armory.

If true it's a sad story, but in many ways the correct response (in terms of this thread) is "So what?". How many countless similar stories could be told by Madoff investors, or indeed holders of many Irish bank stocks recently.

There are many lessons to be learned but the irony here is that in many ways bitcoin is the *solution* to all this, it allows people take total control of their cash assets in a way that they're not beholden to anyone and can spend/send their own money with vary little interference from anyone else.

I hardly think storing your life savings on a piece of paper or on a computer in your house is a good idea either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

One guy ^^

I've got a few sympathetic private messages come through, this is not me, maybe I should of added 10 quotation marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Sorry to hear that bro.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

But, but, but they're limited edition cards
    Olivetti ? The M24's were iffy.
    IBM have sold their desktop business to Lenovo recently
    Brother and other typewriter companies used to do computers too. *cringes*

Pretty good article on bitcoin
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/bitcoins-shocking-resilience-achilles-heel-155129867.html?soc_src=copy

It pretty much reflects my views, digital currency is here to stay, who can say if it'll be bitcoin or one of the new pretenders, but bitcoin has by far the best chance at the moment. Any ideas that bitcoin can be killed by legislation or incompetent exchanges are now defunct.

David Smith doesn't seem like he's a very impartial source:
    http://www.benzinga.com/author/david-smith

Here's another article on bit coin: http://brokenlibrarian.org/bitcoin/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

the mt gox situation isn't sudden or new news, it has been all over the media and internet for at least 8 months that mt gox were in danger of becoming insolvent.

If it was publicly known 8+ months ago that they were in danger of becoming insolvent, why didn't everybody (presumably everybody knew insolvency was imminent) remove their bitcoins/lolly from mtgox 8+ months ago, and why did it take it a further 8+ months to actually go insolvent.

Edit: Just did a check back on this topic and I'm a bit surprised not to see anything about a looming insolvency 8 months ago, maybe I missed it, I saw something about a server being down for a couple of hours but nothing about insolvency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

The whole article is really funny :D

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2331308/senator-joe-manchin-wants-to-ban-bitcoin

"Due to Bitcoin's anonymity, the virtual market has been extremely susceptible to hackers and scam artists stealing millions from Bitcoins users."

""I am most concerned that as Bitcoin is inevitably banned in other countries, Americans will be left holding the bag on a valueless currency.""

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    If it was publicly known 8+ months ago that they were in danger of becoming insolvent, why didn't everybody (presumably everybody knew insolvency was imminent) remove their bitcoins/lolly from mtgox 8+ months ago, and why did it take it a further 8+ months to actually go insolvent.

Because mtgox had the best rates for selling bitcoin, they were selling there and in doing so basically betting it all on mtgox working it out and eventually processing their euro/usd withdrawal. At any point up until the BTC freeze a week ago, they could have converted to BTC, transferred, sold at the normal rate on bitstamp and had their withdrawal processed in a standard timeframe.
    They stuck it out at gox, I guess for the higher rate (if someone with first hand experience can correct me, let me know).
    Cute Hoor wrote: »
    Edit: Just did a check back on this topic and I'm a bit surprised not to see anything about a looming insolvency 8 months ago, maybe I missed it, I saw something about a server being down for a couple of hours but nothing about insolvency.

This thread might interest you - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=179586.0
    279 pages cataloging mtgox's downfall. Widespread withdrawal delays started April 2013.

It's hard to google it without the latest insolvency news coming up, here is one article though - http://bitcoinmagazine.com/7064/with-current-processes-mt-gox-usd-withdrawals-could-take-22-months/
    Practically every comment is calling the insolvency and that was last September. It was widely suspected, they had been having problems all year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

Good news for Bitcoin fans in Ireland. An ATM is set to be installed in Hippetys Cafe in Temple Bar next week. And it should be ready to be used shortly after.

The group in charge of the machine also intend to open another machine in Waterford.

Link

I'm surprised that Waterford has been chosen instead of one of the bigger cities. Not complaining though since I live here :D

Good news for Bitcoin fans in Ireland. An ATM is set to be installed in Hippetys Cafe in Temple Bar next week. And it should be ready to be used shortly after.

The group in charge of the machine also intend to open another machine in Waterford.

Link

I'm surprised that Waterford has been chosen instead of one of the bigger cities. Not complaining though since I live here :D

What use is a bitcoin ATM exactly?

They have a bank note reader and can provide a print out of a bitcoin address with value (or indeed transfer it directly to your wallet if the ATM itself is net connected). Depending on whether the machine is net connected will determine if they provide an up to the second price, or sell from a daily loaded price.

Basically they change physical euro notes into bitcoins relatively easily.

AFAIK the one's being talked about here have permanent net connections and can scan a QR code to get the wallet address.

Much less common are ones that can dispense cash in return for your bitcoins, which as far as I know these bitvendo ones cannot do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

It's as PH said. I'd imagine they also provide more anonymity then buying from an exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭Worztron

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

It's irrelevant how secure Bitcoin is because servers, websites and computers can all be hacked in some cases very easily.

It's an interesting idea but it's not an investment or a replacement for fiat at least not in it's current form.

martyoo wrote: »
    It's irrelevant how secure Bitcoin is because servers, websites and computers can all be hacked in some cases very easily.

It's an interesting idea but it's not an investment or a replacement for fiat at least not in it's current form.

You realise most fiat exists as a number on computers too? and that Bitcoin transactions can be created on offline computers, and Bitcoin private keys can be kept in physical form such as on paper, until they are ready to be spent. Bitcoin provides the ability to secure money in ways that never existed before with multi-sig wallets, though I haven't yet seen a user friendly wallet software offering this, only a matter of time though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

You realise most fiat exists as a number on computers too?

Yes but I can call my bank or credit card company if my details are stolen or compromised and I can get my money refunded. You can't say the same for Bitcoin. There is no recourse.

What is going to happen MT Gox's customers? What would happen if your computer was hacked and the coins were stolen?

I get why people want it to work but I just don't think it will.

Advertisement