Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Europe is going American

Options
  • 04-03-2011 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

I was in town the other day and noticed reeses peanut butter cupcakes on sale and mountain dew, and when I was up in Dublin the same thing, a few months back its was the same when I was over in the UK, Cadburys has been taken over by craft and now the NBA will be holding some of their games in London. Has this been going on for a long time or are the Americans really trying to push their brands at the moment into the European market.

Link to the story from the BBC about the NBA matches for those interested:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12635781

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Next thing you know we'll have McDonalds and StarBucks!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

lcrcboy wrote: »

Eh you do realise the NFL have been doing this for about 6 years now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Lambsbread

DonJose wrote: »
    Next thing you know we'll have McDonalds and StarBucks!!!

And watch american TV programmes

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Kraft didn't purchase Cadburys UK and Ireland. Reese's stuff is seriously sweet but very nice!

Ah Kerrygold, I see you have this in Ireland too!

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭lcrcboy

I know we have had the obvious stuff like American tv and things like Starbucks but it just seems that things that were very American and disliked in Europe are starting to pop up alot more, Like for example over in the UK I went into a good few stores and came across Root Beer and Lucky Charms, there is also a few Taco Bells popping up over there its mad

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭this is arse

I was in town the other day and noticed reeses peanut butter cupcakes on sale and mountain dew, and when I was up in Dublin the same thing, a few months back its was the same when I was over in the UK, Cadburys has been taken over by craft and now the NBA will be holding some of their games in London. Has this been going on for a long time or are the Americans really trying to push their brands at the moment into the European market.

yeah bro, i know what you mean. seems to be more American phrases and slang creeping in here too...

yeah bro, i know what you mean. seems to be more American phrases and slang being used here too...

Word!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

I know we have had the obvious stuff like American tv and things like Starbucks but it just seems that things that were very American and disliked in Europe are starting to pop up alot more, Like for example over in the UK I went into a good few stores and came across Root Beer and Lucky Charms, there is also a few Taco Bells popping up over there its mad

How is it mad? Why isn't there an Irish alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 shebzy

This has been happening for years! McDonald's ,Footlocker etc as well as watching all american TV programs like Sopranos,Friends,Two and half men, Dunno what planet your living on chap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Awesome!*

*cringe*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

American sweets are manky. In fact their food isnt the best in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,648 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

reeses peanut butter cupcakes
    Perhaps I havent kept in touch with the wide world of gas station snack foods, but surely you meant reeses peanut butter cups? There is no cake involved in a peanut butter cup: Just chocolate, and peanut butter.

either way those have been on sale for years from various shops.

shebzy wrote: »
    This has been happening for years! McDonald's ,Footlocker etc as well as watching all american TV programs like Sopranos,Friends,Two and half men, Dunno what planet your living on chap.

As I said above there has been the obvious American things floating around for years but It just seems that there has been a greater push in American Brands at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭poppyvalley

I wish they would push hagan-daas peanut butter ice cream I's delicious!!
    Anyone know if it's available anywhere in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

OMG!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

‘We are rapidly losing our identity as a people. We are losing our specific national identity which has not been lost by the Dutch or the Belgians or the French or Italians. We are no longer even West Britons; we are East Americans’ - Brian Friel on Ireland in 1979

As I said above there has been the obvious American things floating around for years but It just seems that there has been a greater push in American Brands at the moment

If only those pesky companies would try to make a loss instead of a profit.

fontanalis wrote: »
    If only those pesky companies would try to make a loss instead of a profit.

Not saying its a bad thing but just pointing out something that seems to be happening at the moment and hasn't been mentioned here yet I think

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

Do you mean shops?

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    ‘We are rapidly losing our identity as a people. We are losing our specific national identity which has not been lost by the Dutch or the Belgians or the French or Italians. We are no longer even West Britons; we are East Americans’ - Brian Friel on Ireland in 1979

If some manky fast food can make someone lose their identity then there wasn't much identity to begin with. Irish identity is for the Irish to lose, nothing is being forced on anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,648 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=mcdonalds&aq=&sll=48.873522,2.296228&sspn=0.039912,0.132093&ie=UTF8&hq=mcdonalds&hnear=&ll=48.870925,2.305326&spn=0.039914,0.132093&z=14

At least 13 of which are plainly visible from the Arc. I checked when I was there, because it was kinda weirding me out.

You can look at this one of two ways though: OMG American culture is taking over ze world

or

Oh wait, the French are still French and you even just said they still have a strong cultural identity in spite of saturated access to Le Big Mac and McFlurrys

Do you mean shops?

Hay I used to live in the States for a number of years so Im still using a bit of the slang :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Oh my gosh, shut up you douchebag.
    Our Irishness is like, totally...irish.
    Who cares about Europe anyway? It's a stupid country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Not this american hopefully

orourkeda wrote: »
    Not this american hopefully

Inside charlie sheens head .....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

antodeco wrote: »
    Kraft didn't purchase Cadburys UK and Ireland.

Yes they did :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Gunnerkid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭rocco.

This guy for real? next we'l have them toasters and them bins with the wheels, jaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I was in town the other day and noticed reeses peanut butter cupcakes on sale and mountain dew,

Where can I get Mountain Due in Dublin, that stuff rocks. Now if we could get Minute Maid orange too and il be in sugar heaven

frAg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭sagat2

On the flip side:

Football is getting very popular in the US we get more live Premiership matches over here than you do there.

Rugby, I'll be watching Ireland play England live on BBC America (a basic cable channel) unthinkable 5 years ago.

My local grocery store has a vast selection of chocolate bars from back home from Twirls to Crunchies, not to mention Lyons Tea, Hobnobs even Odlums Quick Bread.

Ireland's cricketing result over the English was reported in the New York Times.

There seems to be a Pret A Manger opening on every street corner in New York.

You can walk into a lot of pubs in New york and see basketball on one screen with Gaelic Football highlights on the other.

It goes both ways.

Advertisement