Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In Limerick City for 2 days/nights-recommendations please

Options
  • 03-10-2011 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,108 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    My wife and I are staying in Limerick this weekend (both mid 30's, Irish), a break from the kids. We have the hotel already booked.

We'll be doing the usual- wander around the shops, have a bite in a cafe, pint etc and The Milk Market is on our list.
    Just wondering if you can recommend anything of interest to do, anything besides the usual or just something highly recommended.

We're fairly familar with the city but haven't been down in a while.

cheers,
    Pa.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,754 ✭✭✭✭phog

Any interest in Rugby?

Munster play Ospreys in Thomond Park on Saturday evening, tickets are available.

Also on the rugby front, Ireland play Wales in the World Cup 1/4 final at 6.00 Saturday morning a few bars will probaly open for a breakfast.

A visit to the Hunt Museum is well worth the trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

phog wrote: »

And there is free admission to the Hunt on Sunday afternoons iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,108 ✭✭✭dinneenp

phog wrote: »
    Any interest in Rugby?

Munster play Ospreys in Thomond Park on Saturday evening, tickets are available.

Also on the rugby front, Ireland play Wales in the World Cup 1/4 final at 6.00 Saturday morning a few bars will probaly open for a breakfast.

Cheers. I have that on my list too already (Hunt). There's a photo exhibition 'Vanishing Ireland' which I'd like to see (I'm into photography).
    I'd be interested in the rugby but her not so much so.
    We'll still be in Galway for the Ireland game and probably the France England game too.

I'm from Cork so will pop into the Munster shop.

Here's some photos of a photowalk in Limerick that I was on:
    Urban photos

People, including a lovely woman from the Milk Market

random shots

colours

• Registered Users Posts: 23,754 ✭✭✭✭phog

One of the posters over on the photography forum had a gallery at the market, the entrance is near one (city side) of the two gateway entrances into the m,arket itself, it might be of interest to you.

Photo Opportunities:

If you have time and into a river walk you could head to UL, park near the Concert Hall and head towards the river, nice walk and may it have photo opportunities.
    If you want to head a bit further away the Clare Glens are about 30mins from the city and well worth it for the waterfalls, boots would be a requirement.
    Evening time along the river is a nice walk, especially from the Clare side and facing the city.
    Georgian Limerick - Upper O'Connell St, The Crescent and around Barrington St and Pery Sq is worth a ramble.

Pubs:

On Saturday night, town should have a buzz after (hopefully) Ireland and Munster winning their respective games, Myles Breens on Shannon St, Corner Flag (corner of O'Curry St and Henry St), Dolans and the Sin Bin are worth a visit.
    Curragower Bar is a nice pub and has a seafood menu.
    The Locke Bar is nice bar too.

If you have any specific requests let us know and I'm sure someone will have an answer for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,108 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Cheers for the recommendations.
    We stayed in The Savoy so were very central.
    What we didn't realise is that most cafes and a fair few shops are closed on Sunday. The Milk Market was virtaully empty and the Munster Rugby shop was closed which was a pity.

I have one photo of a pub in Limerick here:
    Irish pubs in my photoblog

090184899E234C2B8BE9233285986D36-0000332953-0002582643-00800L-5326D6CD33BD4F0BA164B74DEC0BC2F6.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Ah Yes, Sunday in Limerick..... Crescent shopping centre, Childers road retail Park, Eastlink retail park.....
    ...in fact, anywhere but the city itself, despite the fact that it's the one day of the week with free parking :rolleyes:

Advertisement