Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Gaiety School Of Acting(Soap related - please read)?

Options
  • 22-03-2011 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone

I'm posting this on behalf of my mate who's not on boards. She is in 3rd year(school,not college). She wants to get into acting when she's older and wants to preferably act in a soap like EastEnders.

When she leaves school,she'll be 19 and she plans so study at The Gaiety School Of Acting(which I have heard essentially the RADA of England- the most prestigious school in the country along in the UK)However,she doesn't know if she should just go straight to college or go straight into training at The Gaiety.

Also,she wants to know would training at The Gaiety give her the traing she would need to act at a soap like Corrie?

Lastly,she wants to know would it be possible to get an auditon at a EastEnders if she snail-mailed or emailed them a few pictures and her formal traning details?(She has heard this is how the guy who played Ashley Cotton got his job at EE). Would the EE producers look at her e-mail and consider for her an auditon or just ignore it? She doesn't know if this an eligible way to apply for a job or if she has to have an agent,but I DO KNOW this is how Ashley Cotton got his job but I don't know if he didn't have an agent.

Anyway,thanks if you can help.She'd be really grateful and I'll pass the feed-back onto her

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

You don't need to have an agent to land an audition in a soap - you don't even need any specific training (but it helps)...
    You'll need an Acting CV: the more fleshed out it is the better - even leading roles in school plays look better than nothing, but joining an amateur theatre group and getting involved in a few productions over the next couple of years would look great on a CV. Most soap actors would have a theatre background and landing a part in a play is easier than a film/tv show when you're starting out, but theres plenty of opportuniy to land a role in a low budget (or more often than not, no budget) film short or tv pilot (check out filmmakersnetwork.ie). Don't bother with extra work, unless you really want to get the feel of a film set or obviously if there's good money involved do it, but you can't list any of the extra work you do on your acting CV.

The Gaeity School of Acting is fantastic and there's many different training courses that you can do there no matter what age you are. I was part of the Gaeity School of Acting during my last 3 years of school and learned some great skills and got an insight into the industry. I'd recommend anyone interested in acting do some sort of course there, even a part time one semester course (ie. one night a week for 10 weeks or something like that), so it wouldn't interfere with college etc.

Most important advice, for every successful actor in the world, there's about 10,000 unsuccessful actors, so make sure you have a back up (or a few back ups)...

Best of luck

Advertisement