Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dolomites Ski

Options
  • 08-09-2014 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭

its that time of the year again to begin the 2015 trips!!

Im looking at going back to Italy, I was there in 2012 but want to go back to the Dolomites & Sellaronda runs!!

Have you any good ways to get to Italy, from what I can see there is no good way to get there from Ireland without a 3-4 hours transfer

Has anyone got any ideas how to get there?
    :D:D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

I looked at it last year and concluded it was 3 hours anyway. But I was looking for four days skiing not the full week so that might have limited my options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭tech

any one else got any good ways to get here?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

tech wrote: »
    any one else got any good ways to get here?

Sadly not, I think Verona is the closest airport, and it's over 200KM away! There is one closer but don't know the name of it, & I don't think there are direct flights from Ireland

Hi Fattes

your correct no direct flights from ireland, disaster. I love Italy and found it cheap compared to my 2 trips to france this year

:(

I was talking to my uncle who was talking about doing it via austria. I know some of the airports there are as close as the italian ones. Innsbruck is the best but I think only charters fly there from ireland.

Why not look at going through the uk it must open up more airports? Maybe search the better known resorts for descriptions of the transfer times then see what uk airports fly to them?

Either way would love if you could post your results here in the hope I might use them myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Frankly frank

Looking at 4 day trip mid march late snow?
    - all options considered once direct connection from Ireland and quick access to slopes (time of essence)

Tips ?

Frank, build your holiday around the flights to suit. Ideally you want to be able to maximize your time on the slopes, for the most part this means an evening or night time flight back, means you get a full day on slopes. No point in paying for a night in the hotel to get up and just go home. From recollection Dublin flights to Geneva, Munich and Zurich can be done this way.

If you're mad for it you can sometimes get an early flight out and be in the resort for lunch. Geneva flights have this, though be careful - I had mates who took the red eye flight to get an extra half day on the slopes, the poor bastards got in and had paid for gear rental and lift passes but, it being France, the fcuking shop was closed after lunch so they got not one run extra for their troubles.

If short transfer is priority then from Geneva you can be in Porte De Soleil (Morzine and Avoriaz) in about an hour and also Flaine (can't remember the name of the broader area Flaine is in). Both of these resorts are quite low though and if the snow isn't great they might be suffering in March. Chamonix is a little better for snow and is prob a further 15 mins up the road, it has pros and cons as a resort though (read other threads here its been done to death).

From Munich there are once again tons of options within about one and a half hours. Most resorts will be low though (with exception of Hintertux in the Zillertal valley which is only small but very high.

Mightnt be a bad idea to just book the flights and then wait and see where best conditions are. For instance if you book Geneva and the snow is bad you could do the two and a half hour drive to the 3 valleys, one of the best resorts in the world with quite a lot of high skiing. A lot of places won't take a booking for just four days in advance anyway so sometimes you'll have to wait until the week before you go to get accommodation (most of the resorts I've mentioned above aren't like that though).

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭darka78

its that time of the year again to begin the 2015 trips!!

Im looking at going back to Italy, I was there in 2012 but want to go back to the Dolomites & Sellaronda runs!!

Have you any good ways to get to Italy, from what I can see there is no good way to get there from Ireland without a 3-4 hours transfer

Has anyone got any ideas how to get there?
    :D:D:D

I would highly recommend Kronplatz resort in Brunico. Excellent resort, modern, convenient, night skiing, great food, prices as everywhere, great sauna in Kron, most lifts are cabins which is great for snowboarders. It is around 3.5 hours drive from Milan or 2.5-3 hours drive from Munich. Innsbruck is the closest airport 100 km but only flights with Easy Jet and only from UK( Liverpool, Bristol, London). You can access that resort by train as well, even it brings you right to the slopes, but never tried that option tho.

crystal ski sell flight to Innsbruck !

crystal ski sell flight to Innsbruck !

That is great news for those looking for skiing in Dolomites and Sudtirol areas. Do you know pricing?

• Advertisement

yesterday 269 inc all taxes / bags

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭prunudo

yesterday 269 inc all taxes / bags

Did you see that on their website or did you ring them Tech? I looked but couldn't see a link to flights only.

yes i just called them!!

jvan wrote: »
    Did you see that on their website or did you ring them Tech? I looked but couldn't see a link to flights only.

Thats what I got from Crystal Ski, other dates might be cheaper, expensive in my opinion.

TOM1626 on SAT 20-DEC-14 Depart DUB 0640 Arrive INN 1005
    TOM1627 on SAT 27-DEC-14 Depart INN 1115 Arrive DUB 1245

Price per person €319.00 Includes 20kg baggage allowance and 5kg carry on
    Carriage of skis/snowboard €49 (1 set per bag allowed)

Deposit required €150 per person and balance due by the 11th October.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Arelingus were going to Verona a couple of years ago it was very handy for the dolomites. Imo they'd be better off flying into one of the Milan airports and Verona.

I flew to brescia from Belfast a few years back but cant even remember who it was with now.

To be fair, bergamo or either Milan airport does give plenty of options for skiing. Montecampione is a short spin for a weekend of skiing or push up towards trento for any of the resorts around there, Madonna di campiglio isn't hard to get to either if you're looking for a big resort.

The transfer cost can be a killer I find. It was ok a few years back when it was just a gang of lads going, now I'm looking at paying for two adults and the kids.... Different ball game. Don't know how people afford to ski with their kids, its crazy expensive.

it looks like Innsbruck is the best I can get from Dublin

190 km from Val Di Fassa !

bring back an Ireland verona flight!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Must be flights from Belfast City?
    Im heading here in March

http://wearevertigo.com/2015-ski-holiday-to-andalo-italy-with-we-are-vertigo/

* Return flights from Belfast City to Verona

also was looking there on Skyscanner , it seems AerLingus fly direct to Verona all year round

Hi

I cant see these flights in Feb, on sky scanner these are flights with 1 stop ,,??

Thanks

• Advertisement

Hi , the Belfast one i cant find so i presume its a one off charter?

on sky scanner I got direct flights and after checking again ive figured it out :(
    if you put the whole year in it gives the option of direct flights but it seems to end in Oct and start again in April.
    so looks like winter is out , seems a bit odd considering there would be a large demand to ski the area.

hi thanks

I taught I was gone blind!! :) yes its a pity you can fly for the ski season :(

did you look at the link i posted for the belfast flights?
    i think thats a stonking deal ,miles cheaper than i could get close to on a DIY
    after paying only need the beer tokens :)

£549 for We are Vertigo Ski Members
    £599 for Non-Members
    What do you get? Well...

* Return transfers from Verona to Andalo or Marilleva
    * 7 nights Half board in a 3* Hotel
    * 6 day lift pass
    * 6 day ski/boot & helmet hire
    * 6 days x 2 hours ski lessons
    * Designated Topflight for Schools Representative
    * All taxes and 20Kg bag carriage

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Thats a superb deal in fairness, £599 is probably about €850 which is a great all in price for a weeks skiing and half board.

Just wondering what costs are typically like in Italian ski resorts, how do they compare to France & Austria ?

i make it about €760 on a currency converter which makes it even better value :)

Not sure about prices but from what ive read online it appears to be much cheaper than the French resorts and around the same as Austrian ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    did you look at the link i posted for the belfast flights?
    i think thats a stonking deal ,miles cheaper than i could get close to on a DIY
    after paying only need the beer tokens :)

£549 for We are Vertigo Ski Members
    £599 for Non-Members
    What do you get? Well...

* Return transfers from Verona to Andalo or Marilleva
    * 7 nights Half board in a 3* Hotel
    * 6 day lift pass
    * 6 day ski/boot & helmet hire
    * 6 days x 2 hours ski lessons
    * Designated Topflight for Schools Representative
    * All taxes and 20Kg bag carriage

Andalo is a nice resort too. I was there last year. Marileva is a bot of a pain as you need to transfer by bus on the morning.

That seems a good deal to be fair. Is it for schools or adults?

I don't know too much about it but I don't think there are any kids.
    I think a wide range of ages going
    We are 52 and 42 so the older end of the spectrum :-)
    Happy to hang out with the group but will be doing our own thing too, going more for the skiing

Advertisement