Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You know you're addicted when...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

Even though it's skiing gear I hate you just a little bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Even though it's skiing gear I hate you just a little bit.

Most of it is baggy enough to pass as board gear :)

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭fmlarnapairce

you bstrd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

I feel a boardsie competition coming up to win some free gear!! :D:D:P

stevire wrote: »
    I feel a boardsie competition coming up to win some free gear!! :D:D:P

Might have a few t-shirts I could dispense! :D Will rummage through and see, Will be performing a bit of a clear out over the next week or two, and if anyone is interested there will be some kit available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

any ski pants size large and im your man ;)

I got these in this mornings post, from my sponsors :P
    iEnYtful.jpg

(I sponsor myself, that counts right?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

I got these in this mornings post, from my sponsors :P
    iEnYtful.jpg

(I sponsor myself, that counts right?)

Nice, have you used Flow bindings before? I'm probably getting myself a pair of Flow NX2 SE, closer to my holidays.

cormee wrote: »
    Nice, have you used Flow bindings before? I'm probably getting myself a pair of Flow NX2 SE, closer to my holidays.

OK, I couldn't wait. You inspired me to buy them, so I just did :D

Strapping in on the lift has long been a dream of mine!

OK, I couldn't wait. You inspired me to buy them, so I just did :D

Strapping in on the lift has long been a dream of mine!

I like stepping off the lift with one foot in.

• Advertisement

I like stepping off the lift with one foot in.

I think I'll be less likely to crash into people if I'm strapped in fully coming off the lift, plus there's little or no effort required to get to the top of the piste, none of this pushing myself along with one foot, sidewards, shenanigans.

Haha nice, didn't take too much convincing!!

Yeah I've had a pair of the old flows for the last couple of years. These ones, think this model is nearly 10 years old now:
    flow-fl-5-snowboard-bindings-100-kitsilano-burnaby_7373961.jpg

Love them, only 2 downsides was getting out in powder and 'stepping in' on a hill. All the Flows from 2013 (i think) have the LSR system, which basically gives you the ratchet option if you need it. Now that my 2 downsides are addressed I'm hoping to these bindings will last me well! :D

I got mine at Surface 2 Air in the UK, had last years model on offer. They have the NX2 SE and AT on offer at the mo too:
    http://www.s2as.com/flow-nx2-se-bindings-2014-snowboard.html
    http://www.s2as.com/flow-nx2-at-2014-snowboard-bindings.html

Out of interest, why the SE over AT?

They have the NX2 SE and AT on offer at the mo too:
    http://www.s2as.com/flow-nx2-se-bindings-2014-snowboard.html
    http://www.s2as.com/flow-nx2-at-2014-snowboard-bindings.html

Out of interest, why the SE over AT?

I'm not sure I even considered the AT. When I'm buying something I get it into my head that I want that particular brand/style/model and pretty much all alternatives are invisible to me, it's probably better that way, otherwise I'd procrastinate forever.

Thanks for the links, I paid £181 on the the ebay store I just got them off, plus €7 for Parcel Motel, so it's pretty much the same price.

Tuning these things in is supposed to take a while though.

Tuning these things in is supposed to take a while though.

I don't think it'll be as bad with the ratchet system in place. Couple of runs will have you sorted and you won't have to touch it again in a long time.

The AT model is a little stiffer, I've a stiff board [insert stiffy joke] so wanted a binding to match. I like the snug fit of the one piece over the traditional two strap you get with the SE. You'll love them either way!

I like the snug fit of the one piece over the traditional two strap you get with the SE. You'll love them either way!

Sounds good, I am a divil for over-tightening the straps on traditional bindings, my feet tend to get very numb as a result, it will be nice not having to worry about that as well.

They arrived in Parcel Motel, Belfast already. That was a seriously quick turnaround.

I'm using this thread as the 'Apres Zone', anything goes...

Nabbed these from the Weather forum:

UK Weather is predicting snow, get those PP bets on...
    UK Winter 2014/15 Model Conclusion.

It’s hard to argue with that fact that most of the long range models are in some sort of agreement, that there will be a blocking event this winter. However, this pattern will not be dominant all winter, there will be breakdowns to milder conditions at times, although the transition will be difficult as cold air is notoriously difficult to displace. It may also be possible that the blocking set up will return, after any brief mild incursion.

So from what the seasonal forecast models are predicting, coupled with historical data, the conclusion at this moment in time, is that winter will indeed be colder than average. The pattern being predicted is likely to produce some lengthy cold periods, which will no doubt produce periods of snow.

http://www.ukweatherforecast.co.uk/uk-winter-201415-weather-forecast-predictions/

Snippet taken from: http://goo.gl/w2VXy4
    It appears that the famous Donegal postman ‘Michael Gallagher’ has called for heavy snowfalls affecting Ireland before Xmas – saying he is 99 percent sure that the country will see heavy falls of snow before Christmas and that Ireland will shiver soon, claiming that he has never seen so many berries on the trees a thing which he claims among other things as a sure sign of a cold winter weather ahead. However, he stated that he does not think it will be as cold as the recent severe seasons.

Joe Bastardi of weatherbell.com, a well known and highly respected long range forecaster, among others, has said Ireland and the UK will see prolonged severe freezes this season. However, many forecasters have been skeptical saying a mild winter season is on the way.

I'm using this thread as the 'Apres Zone', anything goes...

Nabbed these from the Weather forum:

UK Weather is predicting snow, get those PP bets on...

http://www.ukweatherforecast.co.uk/uk-winter-201415-weather-forecast-predictions/

Snippet taken from: http://goo.gl/w2VXy4

Good call, general banter thread.

Re: heavy snow in Ireland this winter - would be great, I've scouted some great places on the Curragh plains (where the parents live) for a cruise on the snowboard (with the wife driving alongside me in the car, obviously)

Car kickers are the best fun! Just make sure you have some angle of a landing!

Can any snowboarder explain the difference between flow bindings and regular ones to me?

Do we want to start a General Banter thread or perhaps a season 14/15 thread where anything goes but a focus on, weather reports, photos etc?

Flow are basically step in bindings. Foot in and pull the high back up to lock. Regular are two straps with ratchets to lock in place.

The theory of flow is sound but in practice many can't live with them or are unwilling to try.

Cheers appreciate that

• Advertisement

Flow are basically step in bindings. Foot in and pull the high back up to lock. Regular are two straps with ratchets to lock in place.

The theory of flow is sound but in practice many can't live with them or are unwilling to try.

Kind of like zip up boots and lace up boots. Regular boots I mean, not snowboarding.

They got a lot of negative feedback in the first few years, that put a lot of people off trying them, recently they seem to have improved though, with a lot of people swearing by them now.

I always liked the sound of the convenience of them. I guess I'll find out pretty soon which side of the fence I stand on.

As I said in a previous post, I really like the feeling of the boots and bindings being super tight, if they are in any way loose I amn't confident, so that could be their Achilles heel for me.

I'm exactly the same and not saying I'm pro or anything remotely like it but you'll see many of the guys and girls in the pipe start their slide and suddenly tighten their bindings again.

Took me a long time to find the right bindings and even had to change the strap to get the right fit. I'm riding medium burton cartels but with a small ankle strap. Before that I had large bindings but had to change when I got burton boots with shrinkage.

Videos on how to setup the flows look straight forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭prunudo

Fattes wrote: »

Do we want to start a General Banter thread or perhaps a season 14/15 thread where anything goes but a focus on, weather reports, photos etc?

I was only thinking about this the other day. A general banter thread seems to work well on some of the other forums on boards. Somewhere to post videos, photos, general snow related links. Saves clogging up the forum with new topic. Just my view, not sure if the mods have a positive or negative view on it.

I'm exactly the same and not saying I'm pro or anything remotely like it but you'll see many of the guys and girls in the pipe start their slide and suddenly tighten their bindings again.

Took me a long time to find the right bindings and even had to change the strap to get the right fit. I'm riding medium burton cartels but with a small ankle strap. Before that I had large bindings but had to change when I got burton boots with shrinkage.

Videos on how to setup the flows look straight forward.

I'm the same, I could stop any amount of times on the piste to tighten the bindings. They actually arrived on Friday afternoon in Parcel Depot. Less than 24 hours to get from the UK > Belfast > Dublin, very impressive.

Compared to my old bindings they're so well made, the old ones were falling apart from (small) jumps, so I was due an upgrade. Can't wait to try them out, the wife wouldn't have appreciated me wearing them on the old wooden floors.

Looks like the first (hopefully) trip of the year will be to Les Arcs 2000, in January, so I'll get to put them through their paces there. :D
    jvan wrote: »
    . A general banter thread

Just rename this one, it's already in motion

Put a deposit on an apartment in Mayrhofen for a month next year. No sooner was that done we went looking for accommodation for a New Years trip. Fanny you're buying.

Snowcard goes on sale in two days.

Put a deposit on an apartment in Mayrhofen for a month next year. No sooner was that done we went looking for accommodation for a New Years trip. Fanny you're buying.

Snowcard goes on sale in two days.

Nice, are you going to be working, or is it purely pleasure?

All pleasure I'm afraid. Unless someone wants to pay me to go looking for powder all day.

All pleasure I'm afraid. Unless someone wants to pay me to go looking for powder all day.

Thats not as much fun as it sounds! ;) Oh who am I ****ting!

Fattes wrote: »
    Thats not as much fun as it sounds! ;) Oh who am I ****ting!

Lol lucky I'm not a beach sitter. It's all snow for me. I've even been to Antarctica but not to snowboard.

Trying to book Soll for new year but proving difficult. What are the taxis like for sharing Fanny? i.e. Is it likely you could end up booking alone?

• Advertisement

OK, flight for 17th January booked, all systems are go!

Advertisement