Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

6th June - what images does that date conjure up?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

keith16 wrote: »
    I didn't see anyone complaining when VE day was ignored by google.

Adding a few :rolleyes: :rolleyes: of these to also counter those points.

has feck all to do with Google

its to do with the 30 thousand people that died during the invasion

thats why you got a roll eyes for your ill-informed post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

kingtiger wrote: »
    has feck all to do with Google

its to do with the 30 thousand people that died during the invasion

thats why you got a roll eyes for your ill-informed post

This thread is specifically dealing with googles lack of commemoration of that invasion.

I don't see why google should pay homage to it. They are keeping politics / war off the front page and I commend them for not waving a flag in our faces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Well, now: BBC News reports:
    Google has hurriedly rushed out a link to D-Day material after failing to honour the 70th anniversary in its famous daily doodle.

Initially the UK homepage of the search engine had a doodle honouring a Japanese Go player.

It admitted to the Daily Telegraph that that had been uploaded in error, and quickly removed it.

Beneath its logo there is a now a link to letters, photos and maps of the Normandy landings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

This thread is specifically dealing with googles lack of commemoration of that invasion.

I don't see why google should pay homage to it. They are keeping politics / war off the front page and I commend them for not waving a flag in our faces.

Yet they paid homage to Cesar Chavez

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/04/why-google-ran-a-cesar-chavez-doodle-an-alternative-theory/274525/

The olympics in Russia

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2553704/Google-takes-stand-Russias-anti-gay-law-rainbow-coloured-Sochi-doodle-statement-calling-equal-rights.html

and even a reminder for us to vote in the European elections

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/digital-life/item/37010-google-doodle-reminds-us-to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

the commemoration is for all sides that fought and died on this day, there is nothing political or flag waving about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

A distant relation fought & died in the Normandy invasion..... I think near Bastogne.

No matter how bravely they fought, the Allies kept coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

The only thing I find disappointing about a go player being featured is that I clicked on the picture expecting to be able to play a game.

I see that the Google.co.uk and Google.ie homepages are now different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

None of those have anything to do with war.

He stated

All of those were political.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭seenitall

Three images come to mind:

D-day,

having a mole excised from my back this day 20 years ago,

and 8 years ago my then husband feeling the fear that the baby would be born prematurely on 6/6/6, therefore be marked as the Spawn of the Devil forevermore, and consequently cast guess-who in the role of Lucifer :D (as it happens, she ended up being way overdue - phew :pac:).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Birthday cake - it's my birthday!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

bumper234 wrote: »
    He stated

All of those were political.
    True. Not really anything to do with D-Day though, which is war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭seenitall

Happy birthday to all the playful Gems on-thread! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

More proof that Putin and the communists own Google, why else was it censored to bits in China a few days ago on the anniversary of tiananmen square.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Are you suggesting we all just ignore WWII and pretend it didn't happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

I am always amused by the uniquely Irish neutralist POV that the invasion of France was somehow unnecessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Please show me where I suggested that?

Google are a private entity and are under no obligation to commemorate a WWII battle.

Why are people getting their knickers in a twist over this? People have been remembering / celebrating important historical events since long before google came about.

It's a google doodle for gods sake, and if that's the level of commemoration people require, then it's a bit sad tbh. There are much more fitting ways to pay tribute.

I understand my first post in this thread was insensitive and for that I apologise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,538 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It conjures up an American flag waving around a load of dead American soldiers and the millions of fools who think that the war revolved around that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Tony EH wrote: »
    It conjures up an American flag waving around a load of dead American soldiers and the millions of fools who think that the war revolved around that.

Every country (except Ireland) celebrates its war-dead.

Unsure why you chose to just pick on America?

Because D-Day to many, many people is America winning the war and the powers that be are very happy to propagate that myth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Because D-Day to many, many people is America winning the war and the powers that be are very happy to propagate that myth.

Not me.

Yeh, I know. ;)

Not me

I didn't say everyone. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Banjoxed wrote: »
    I am always amused by the uniquely Irish neutralist POV that the invasion of France was somehow unnecessary.

Wasn't an invasion, it was a landing.......

RFK died on this day.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Go is a fascinating game,

Advertisement