Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Local hotel owner praised for cancelling auction of family farm.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

He's not standing up to anything. He's doing what's best for his own business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

REAL men pay their bills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

We don't know the circumstances of the sale so it's a bit harsh to suppose that only real men pay their bills. Similarly, why is it assumed that the hotel owner is acting out of self interest in refusing the auction to proceed on his premises. In his statement he indicates that the parties to the auction are known to him as neighbours and members of his community and former staff. Are we not allowed to accept that the hotel owner can have a conscience about this matter ?
    It not all about the money ya know !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

We don't know the circumstances of the sale so it's a bit harsh to suppose that only real men pay their bills. Similarly, why is it assumed that the hotel owner is acting out of self interest in refusing the auction to proceed on his premises. In his statement he indicates that the parties to the auction are known to him as neighbours and members of his community and former staff. Are we not allowed to accept that the hotel owner can have a conscience about this matter ?

The circumstances are fairly irrelevant. The bank are selling the farm they own.

I doubt its too much of a stretch to suggest someone had a mortgage on it and didn't keep up payments. Funny enough the contract everyone signs has a section about that......

How long would the hotel owner with the conscience let people stay in his rooms if they didn't pay their bills?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I don't get it. Surely if the farm has to be sold to pay a debt then it still has to be sold. Him cancelling the auction does't magically make the farmers financial obligation go away, all he's done is put it back a bit. I'd be more impressed if he had paid off the mortgage.

• Advertisement

You know as much or as little as we do.

Perhaps they are strategic defaulters and it backfired on them?

Perhaps they over borrowed to invest in property?

Perhaps they decided to make it big as developers?

Regardless, they made the decision to use their farm as collateral. Were they forced to do this or did they do it by choice? I'll wager that they went into whatever with their eyes wide open. And if not then they only have themselves to blame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

The circumstances are fairly irrelevant. The bank are selling the farm they own.

I doubt its too much of a stretch to suggest someone had a mortgage on it and didn't keep up payments. Funny enough the contract everyone signs has a section about that......

Did the bank provide 100% of the money for the farm? If for eg, they provided 25 % of the value at the time, they should not be entitled to any more than 25% of the value now. Banks don't care about what a person puts into a place, they want it all.
    Unfair.

kylith wrote: »
    I don't get it. Surely if the farm has to be sold to pay a debt then it still has to be sold. Him cancelling the auction does't magically make the farmers financial obligation go away, all he's done is put it back a bit. I'd be more impressed if he had paid off the mortgage.

It is a fairly cynical ploy on his part. He was probably threatened with a boycott, either directly or by word of mouth.

galwayrush wrote: »
    Did the bank provide 100% of the money for the farm? If for eg, they provided 25 % of the value at the time, they should not be entitled to any more than 25% of the value now. Banks don't care about what a person puts into a place, they want it all.
    Unfair.

Not that unfair, particularly since it isn't exactly a secret.

Unfair.

Im sure if they only own 25% (or any other amount)they'd be more than happy to have the money they are owed paid to them if that's the way the farmer wants to go. I have a feeling hes not offering them their money though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭dubrov

Unfair.

If the farm had gone up in value, would the farmer pay back 25% of the higher value?

They lent money. They didn't invest in a farm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

It is a fairly cynical ploy on his part.

I don't see how you can reconcile the apparent certainty of this statement with your earlier comment that nobody really knows what's actually going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Hilarious reaction from the locals there. They applauded him when he stopped the auction. But they were there for the auction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

REAL men pay their bills.

Ok, but seeing as the tax payer is paying the banks bills, we really shouldn't be surprised, when the average person think they should get the same treatment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Zamboni

The value Irish people place on allowing folks to renege on debts is simply astounding.
    Actively assisting and campaigning for people to retain assets that have not been paid - flabbergasting.
    There is no emphasis on the actual agreed contract but instead the focus is on negatively personifying a credit institution.
    The greedy banks indeed.

osarusan wrote: »
    I don't see how you can reconcile the apparent certainty of this statement with your earlier comment that nobody really knows what's actually going on.

Not really. I said no one knows why particular properties were being repossessed and sold.

I'd be very surprised if he didn't know about the booking in advance. The fact that he cancelled it at the very last minute strongly suggests that he had misjudged the potential for a backlash against his hotel, only realising that it was a problem when so many protestors showed up.

Had the protestors not shown up then I would imagine that the event would have gone ahead as planned.

Hilarious reaction from the locals there. They applauded him when he stopped the auction. But they were there for the auction.

In fairness, I assumed they were there to protest / disrupt the auction. Could be wrong though. :)

wes wrote: »
    Ok, but seeing as the tax payer is paying the banks bills, we really shouldn't be surprised, when the average person think they should get the same treatment.

Does the article mention which bank?
    How do you know if the tax payer is "paying the banks bills"?

Perhaps they were going to do what people did in the past and put in a low ball bid to buy it back for the farmer and "bully" out all outsider buyers.
    Then sell it back to the farmer.

So the farmer would keep his farm and the bank would get short changed.

Zamboni wrote: »
    Does the article mention which bank?
    How do you know if the tax payer is "paying the banks bills"?

Bank Of Ireland I think.

• Advertisement

Bank Of Ireland I think.

Ok so considering the states holding in BOI, as a tax payer, I applaud the repossession and sale of an unsustainably mortgaged asset.
    Bravo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭sillyoulfool

Perhaps they were going to do what people did in the past and put in a low ball bid to buy it back for the farmer and "bully" out all outsider buyers.

No.
    The bank would still be owed the difference between the selling price and the outstanding loan amount by the farmer.

It would be interesting to hear the background here. Are these farmers who got into difficulty due to day to day farming expenditure / working capital issues etc, or did they use the farm as collateral for something else?

and what if he doesn't pay that debt either? It'd be a bit hypocritical to try force him to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Unfair.

So if I borrow €20,000 from you to buy say gold. Say I refuse to pay you back the loan, the courts order the sale of the gold now worth €5,000 then you will be happy to take the loss of the €15,000. If you are happy can I borrow €20,000 to buy bitcoins. You provide the money I win if they go up you take all the risk, sounds really good to me.

So if I borrow €20,000 from you to buy say gold. Say I refuse to pay you back the loan, the courts order the sale of the gold now worth €5,000 then you will be happy to take the loss of the €15,000. If you are happy can I borrow €20,000 to buy bitcoins. You provide the money I win if they go up you take all the risk, sounds really good to me.

That's the way investments work.

That's the way investments work.

The bank weren't making an investment though. They loaned someone money to be paid back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

I'm waiting for Sean Bean to get run off a cliff by some cows now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

red sean wrote: »
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/local-hotel-owner-praised-for-cancelling-family-farm-sale-628854.html

At last we see a REAL man with balls to stand up to the greedy banks etc.

Oh yeah, cause now it won't be sold at all, is that it??

• Advertisement

The bank weren't making an investment though. They loaned someone money to be paid back.

I know, I said it was unfair that the bank can get 100% of their investment and the original owner can lost 100% of theirs, despite the banks share may only be a small % of the overall value.
    If it was a limited company the bank may have to take the hit.

I know, I said it was unfair that the bank can get 100% of their investment and the original owner can lost 100% of theirs, despite the banks share may only be a small % of the overall value.

I am sure all this is covered in the contract the farmer willingly entered into at time of draw down.

The owner is free to find the money to buy the bank out any other way he likes. In the absence of that the property has to be sold though. Unless theres a big market for the back corner 10% of a farm or the upstairs portion of a house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

Unfair.

You need to learn the difference betWeen debt and equity

Zamboni wrote: »
    I am sure all this is covered in the contract the farmer willingly entered into at time of draw down.

Maybe he thought he was signing one of those freeman loan applications where everything is above board and legal till they don't want to pay, then all of a sudden the bank is a sham, the borrower isn't a legal entity, the "created money" he accepted doesn't exist and the contract isn't enforceable under maritime law.

That's an interesting one.

I'm not joking, but asking a genuine question here (albeit one that might highlight my lack of understanding): what's the practical difference between an investment and a loan?

In both cases a certain amount of money is parted with, in the belief/expectation that more than that amount will eventually be recouped.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Free nationwide exposure for doing something that makes sweet fcuk all difference in the long run.

Well played sir.

I'm not joking, but asking a genuine question here: what's the practical difference between an investment and a loan?

In both cases a certain amount of money is parted with, in the belief/expectation that more than that amount will eventually be recouped.

The loan has to be paid back as per the details of the legally binding contract or the property is forfeited. Investing money is gambling and can all be lost.

The loan has to be paid back as per the details of the legally binding contract or the property is forfeited. Investing money is gambling and can all be lost.

I know that difference, but is a loan not just an investment with collateral?

Or is the presence or absence of specific and binding collareral what differentiates the two?

I'm not joking, but asking a genuine question here (albeit one that might highlight my lack of understanding): what's the practical difference between an investment and a loan?

One is a contractual agreement.
    The other is gambling.

I know that difference, but is a loan not just an investment with collateral?

Or is the presence or absence of specific and binding collareral what differentiates the two?

The bank are guaranteed their return. Either in the form of the payments or the property. They cant be left empty handed.

There is no guarantee of any return from gambling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Seems like the apologists for the banks are in the majority in this thread! The Richie Boucher supporters club up and about on this Sunday morning - thought ye guys would be on the golf course by now with your banker buddies and developer friends! We all pay taxes ya know but don't all carry around the same degree of self righteous indignation posted here !

Seems like the apologists for the banks are in the majority in this thread! The Richie Boucher supporters club up and about on this Sunday morning - thought ye guys would be on the golf course by now with your banker buddies and developer friends! We all pay taxes ya know but don't all carry around the same degree of self righteous indignation posted here !

Here is some light Sunday reading for you
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contract

You'll note the word - voluntary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Some of us read our contracts. I haven't found any that says if there is a bailout the contract is void.

Funny the amount of folks who go on about how they pay taxes as though it gives you a get out of jail card on paying your debts. Funny too how no one seems to have had this ethical dilemma with debt during the good times.

So fill us in as to why he shouldn't have to pay his mortgage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    He's not standing up to anything. He's doing what's best for his own business.

Ah, AH. So beautifully, predictably, reliably cynical. :D

There are several differences but essentially debt is low risk and relatively low (but secure) reward, equity is higher risk but gives you a stake in the asset and hence potentially much higher reward.

tritium wrote: »
    Funny the amount of folks who go on about how they pay taxes as though it gives you a get out of jail card on paying your debts. Funny too how no one seems to have had this ethical dilemma with debt during the good times.

When the people saved the banks' asses by paying THEIR debts, it hardly seems unreasonable to demand that they cut those people some slack.

Investing money is gambling and can all be lost.

*coughcoughbondholderscoughcough*

When the people saved the banks' asses by paying THEIR debts, it hardly seems unreasonable to demand that they cut those people some slack.

I've paid plenty of tax and never taken out a mortgage. Is there a form I fill out or do I just search daft and pick out my free house?

• Advertisement
Advertisement