Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Background Check - Worried about past employer

• 08-12-2013 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi Everyone,

I was recently accepted for a job I really wanted after a gruelling interview process. I have given references from my past 2 jobs and was given 4 glowing reviews. As part of the companies policy they want to do a background check on my work history, education etc. I have never done anything illegal in my life and my education is sound. My only concern is a previous employer from almost 4 years ago.

(Sorry this is a bit of a read but you wont understand otherwise :/)

When I first came out of college I couldn't find anything but was convinced to start working with a college mate (one of my friends at the time actually) who had a start up. I had done a bit of work for him in the past. I was first told i would be paid but then once I was about to start he told me he didn't have the funds to pay me and was given a wide variety of promises. I needed the experience so I bit the bullet. Eventually after about 10 months I asked for a salary as we had business coming in the door. I had to really debate it but I was eventually given a low salary. After about a year and 7 months (or so) I decided it was time to move on as I felt I was going no where career wise. We were also not working very well together either. One day he overheard me talking to a recruiter on my mobile. He got very offended and wanted me to leave. He spent the rest of the day calling friends and solicitors to find a way to get rid of me legally (I had no knowledge of this). He then ambushed me with a witness from outside the company. He made up a number of excuses to get rid me, e.g. I was rude the customers (which he couldn't prove) and felt I didn't want to be there hence he didn't trust me. I was naturally gobsmacked but we agreed that he would give me a reference if I didn't reveal company "secrets" as I was never given a contract nor told to sign an NDA. I had worked for him for well over a year but had only been paid for 9 months so I couldnt call for unfair dismissal.

I was very lucky and found another job several days later and thought that would be the end of it but alas no. During my time at the previous job I have gotten to know a freelancer very well. When I moved jobs I was able to offer him more work which my old employer took great offence too and went so far as to send my current employer at the time and me a solicitor's letter to basically scare us. His accusations made no sense and he didn't have a leg to stand on so my then employer replied back and we never heard anything else after that.

I am very fearful that during this background check they will call him and he will basically say I didn't work there or something awful like that. I have plenty of proof I worked for him through emails, colleague references and client references if I need them. I have also deliberately broke my work experience with the company into unpaid intern and permanent on the Background check form.

Should I be worried and if so what can I do?

Thanks,

Superyoung

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

I would be surprised if they go back beyond your last two employers. The older the references get, the less valuable they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Nothing you can do, see how it pans out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

You have been accepted for the job. Never mind what happened in the past. If you employer raises it just sit down and go through what happened there. He has excellent references from more recent employer to depend on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Mikros

I would sit tight and wait and see. It would be unusual to go back more than 2 references as they tend to become less relevant. Your previous employer would have to tread carefully in what they say or run the risk of defaming you. A lot of companies wont give out a "bad" reference for this reason and just will state person a worked here as below.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 superyoung

I really hope you are right as it would just be unnecessary stress.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Solicitors letters work both ways. If this does prevent you getting the job, speak to a solicitor re a defamation claim. It probably won't assit this time but might put manners on him the next time.

As for this time info above is good imho - if it comes to it just sit down and explain to your employer.

Bepolite wrote: »
    Solicitors letters work both ways. If this does prevent you getting the job, speak to a solicitor re a defamation claim. It probably won't assit this time but might put manners on him the next time.

As for this time info above is good imho - if it comes to it just sit down and explain to your employer.

So you think I will be ok?

superyoung wrote: »
    So you think I will be ok?

I would think so but who knows really. I know one of the largest background check companies in the world missed some hum-dingers in relation to me :pac:

I would think so but who knows really. I know one of the largest background check companies in the world missed some hum-dingers in relation to me :pac:

I think its the uncertainty thats killing me. I have heard many varying stories in regard to background checks. For instance 1) they are more concerned about your criminal history 2) they only go back to your last 2 employers 3) You get one bad reference in your background check and they pull the offer.

Its rather head wrecking as I simply just dont know what to think.

superyoung wrote: »
    I think its the uncertainty thats killing me. I have heard many varying stories in regard to background checks. For instance 1) they are more concerned about your criminal history 2) they only go back to your last 2 employers 3) You get one bad reference in your background check and they pull the offer.

Its rather head wrecking as I simply just dont know what to think.

No point in worrying (I know thats hard). They know when someone is a gob****e - and if they don't you're better off not working there.

• Advertisement

No point in worrying (I know thats hard). They know when someone is a gob****e - and if they don't you're better off not working there.

Thats very true, just a hard pill to swallow when I know I am perfect for the role thats all :/.

Advertisement