Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

re-doing my LC at 21?!

Options
  • 24-08-2013 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

hey

so with the results of other leaving certs out last week it really annoyed me in a way, I did one year in college but left because I only did it "for the sake of doing some course" so then I worked for a half a year and I'm now doing a part-time course until may 2014-ish.

I got 415 which was okay because at the time there was a it of family drama and I didn't study at all, I think they'll haunt me forever if I don't at least give it another bash.

I'm still not 100% sure what I want but I want to have decent points to fall back on so to speak, animals + health I've always had an interest in + medicine has always fascinated me both animals and humans but I'd not like to do nursing of either.

I remember when I was doing my LC in 2011 there was some guy who was like 20 so I think I could repeat if I wanted to at my old school... I'd just think it would feel so awkward/weird!

There are other private grinds places but I think fees are in thousands which isn't really an option unfortunately.

what do you guys think?

If I was to repeat Id be 21 next September (2014) I could use this year to find out from the school or whatever what poets etc are being done.

Id probably do honours everything again bar Maths which id do at ol. (Bio/Chem/Ag sc/ eng/maths/irish + French)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Stressica wrote: »
    hey

so with the results of other leaving certs out last week it really annoyed me in a way, I did one year in college but left because I only did it "for the sake of doing some course" so then I worked for a half a year and I'm now doing a part-time course until may 2014-ish.

I got 415 which was okay because at the time there was a it of family drama and I didn't study at all, I think they'll haunt me forever if I don't at least give it another bash.

I'm still not 100% sure what I want but I want to have decent points to fall back on so to speak, animals + health I've always had an interest in + medicine has always fascinated me both animals and humans but I'd not like to do nursing of either.

I remember when I was doing my LC in 2011 there was some guy who was like 20 so I think I could repeat if I wanted to at my old school... I'd just think it would feel so awkward/weird!

There are other private grinds places but I think fees are in thousands which isn't really an option unfortunately.

what do you guys think?

If I was to repeat Id be 21 next September (2014) I could use this year to find out from the school or whatever what poets etc are being done.

Id probably do honours everything again bar Maths which id do at ol. (Bio/Chem/Ag sc/ eng/maths/irish + French)

I don't see why you wouldn't give it another shot! When i repeated half of the students were 21 and they fit right in , you still have plenty of time to repeat.It will also give you time to think and another shot as you don't want to regret not trying again for the sake of a year.
    You don't need to go to your old school , there are V.E.C's which do not cost thousands such as rathmines college or plunketts if you are in dublin , they are very reasonable but just as good in my view, if not it might not be as awkward as you think as you won't know the students in your old school. I don't see why you would do 7 really when you can do 6! but if you want a back up thats fine. If you have passed maths already i'd suggest dropping it now instead of doing ordinary? just to maximise your points.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

I have a similar question, I have completed my degree and want to re- do my l.c.

Must I repeat all 6 ? If not will there be ant effects on my L.C points if repeated 3 subjects.

I want to repeat to get into a desired field which is highly competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Stressica

well I'm in Kerry, near Tralee I wonder is there anywhere there I could repeat :S

I didn't know I didn't have to go back to my old school, I think id do all 7 again though just so I do them properly this time, I wasn't pleased with them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I have a similar question, I have completed my degree and want to re- do my l.c.

Must I repeat all 6 ? If not will there be ant effects on my L.C points if repeated 3 subjects.

I want to repeat to get into a desired field which is highly competitive.
    You can't combine points from two sittings of the LC ... e.g. you can't repeat 3 subjects and combine them with your three best subjects from the last time to calculate your points.

To maximise your points this time round therefore you would really need to take 6 subjects.

You can however satisfy minimum requirements from a different sitting of the LC (except for medicine). In other words, if the college requires you to have passed / have a certain grade in specific subjects and you have already achieved those, you don't have to do these subjects again unless you want to.

Advertisement