Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If we had a German or Spanish style Rail network

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

5 times?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,245 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

corktina wrote: »
    5 times?

Density even :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LivelineDipso

Loads of isolated towns and one off houses in Israel too. Yet they seem to know how to provide public transport. There is a fantastic bus system that serves even the most isolated communities with regular and frequent service.

Most people have cars too.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Loads of isolated towns and one off houses in Israel too.

Population density:

Ireland: 73.4/km2
    Israel: 377/km2

Most people have cars too.

Car ownership per 1,000 people:

Ireland: 542
    Israel: 342

Car use is also high in Ireland (higher than some of the countries which have higher car ownership), not sure about Israel.

Edit: car ownership figures fixed

Finland and Sweden have much lower population density that Ireland. They love building railways and metros there...

Finland and Sweden have much lower population density that Ireland. They love building railways and metros there...

They also have a lot of long distances (Both several times the size of Ireland), snowed up roads in the during winter and more larger urban centres spread out than we do. Sweden only has one metro and Finland has none though both have tram systems around their cities.

Oh and they gladly use their taxes to help fund their public transport systems ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

They also pay massive utilities charges to pay for their local transport infastructure.

They also have a lot of long distances (Both several times the size of Ireland), snowed up roads in the during winter and more larger urban centres spread out than we do. Sweden only has one metro and Finland has none though both have tram systems around their cities.

Oh and they gladly use their taxes to help fund their public transport systems ;)

Helsinki has an underground system I am sure?

Your last comments said it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

On a small island of 5 million people this country
    6.4 million?
    CIE wrote: »
    Depends on what you mean by "on the cheap". The costs did not build a slow railway, did it?
    The rail has a poor alignment - some of it even floods. Only a particular horizontal or vertical curve, the trains can only go so fast.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

Victor wrote: »
    The rail has a poor alignment - some of it even floods. Only a particular horizontal or vertical curve, the trains can only go so fast.
    I seem to recall that the Waterford train station was flooded out just back in October. Time to abandon it altogether?

Tilt trains increase effective speed in curves. There is no shortage of tilt trains on the market that I can see, even diesel-powered, and a wider track gauge only makes tilting trains more effective in curves.

Helsinki has an underground system I am sure?

It has an underground, yes but it isn't exactly a London Underground sized system or a Dublin Bus level of service or anything. I don't know what you would consider a Metro but it isn't that expansive compared to, say the London Underground or the Paris Metro.

I seem to recall that the Waterford train station was flooded out just back in October. Time to abandon it altogether?

He did not say that is a reason why to abandon the line, but it, along with other things, shows how the line was poorly rebuilt very recently.
    Tilt trains increase effective speed in curves. There is no shortage of tilt trains on the market that I can see, even diesel-powered, and a wider track gauge only makes tilting trains more effective in curves.

So you want to add the expensive of buying and maintaining rolling stock unique to the line?

monument wrote: »
    He did not say that is a reason why to abandon the line, but it, along with other things, shows how the line was poorly rebuilt very recently.

In fairness, the line is virtually level to a massive tidal river. Excessive rain and it is going to be liable to flooding.

In fairness, the line is virtually level to a massive tidal river. Excessive rain and it is going to be liable to flooding.

Not if built to a high standard.

At least the chances of regular flooding would be limited.

It has an underground, yes but it isn't exactly a London Underground sized system or a Dublin Bus level of service or anything. I don't know what you would consider a Metro but it isn't that expansive compared to, say the London Underground or the Paris Metro.

The same kind of nonsence was trotted out against Metro North.

The Helsinki metro has a daily ridership of around 200,000 passangers on a system just 21km in length, and just 17 stations. Around 58 million trips per year.

Dublin Bus is struggling to carry 115 million passangers with its routes covering how many KMs?

In Helsinki, the metro operates with a Y branch line, branching in the suburs at a frequency of 4/5 mins into the city peak / off peak (and a 10/8 min peak / off peak service between one end of the Y branch to the other without switching). And you're talking about that frequency with high capacity carrages -- the off-peak trains have a capacity of just under 600 passangers.

Expansion is happening, with the first new line due to open in about three years from now. Frequency on the main section will also be increased to a train ever 2.5 mins.

It currently takes just 23 mins from one end to another and the opprator claims 99.97% of trains departed as planned in 2008.

Its level of service is far higher than that provided by Dublin Bus. It's coverage is not as wide as that of a bus system like Dublin's -- but a metro's catchment area is much large than a bus route's and there's more public transport in the city besides just the metro.

Comparing it to London or Paris is strange given Helsinki does not have the need of a rail network anywhere near as large as a city the size of London or Paris. Greater Helsinki has a population of 1.3m people compared to 12m in greater Paris and 8.1m in Greater London (plus a large amount of commuters outside of those areas).

Not if built to a high standard.

At least the chances of regular flooding would be limited.

Errr, no, you build it higher to avoid floods.
    The same kind of nonsence was trotted out against Metro North.

The Helsinki metro has a daily ridership of around 200,000 passangers on a system just 21km in length, and just 17 stations. Around 58 million trips per year.

Dublin Bus is struggling to carry 115 million passangers with its routes covering how many KMs?

In Helsinki, the metro operates with a Y branch line, branching in the suburs at a frequency of 4/5 mins into the city peak / off peak (and a 10/8 min peak / off peak service between one end of the Y branch to the other without switching). And you're talking about that frequency with high capacity carrages -- the off-peak trains have a capacity of just under 600 passangers.

Expansion is happening, with the first new line due to open in about three years from now. Frequency on the main section will also be increased to a train ever 2.5 mins.

It currently takes just 23 mins from one end to another and the opprator claims 99.97% of trains departed as planned in 2008.

Its level of service is far higher than that provided by Dublin Bus. It's coverage is not as wide as that of a bus system like Dublin's -- but a metro's catchment area is much large than a bus route's and there's more public transport in the city besides just the metro.

Comparing it to London or Paris is strange given Helsinki does not have the need of a rail network anywhere near as large as a city the size of London or Paris. Greater Helsinki has a population of 1.3m people compared to 12m in greater Paris and 8.1m in Greater London (plus a large amount of commuters outside of those areas).

I'm not comparing it to London or anywhere; I'm just saying that it's not on the same scale and it's aloof to compare it on that remit alone. In relation to comparing carriage numbers of buses and trains, that's silly as it follows that high frequency light rail will carry more than low frequency buses in most urban markets.

• Advertisement

Errr, no, you build it higher to avoid floods.

I'm nearly sure building it to a high standard could include that approach. I can't see why not! :)

I'm not comparing it to London or anywhere; I'm just saying that it's not on the same scale and it's aloof to compare it on that remit alone.

Correct me if I'm wrong: You're the one and only one who seems to have compared them.

This started with you claiming Finland does not have a metro. The other poster mentioned a metro system, they did not say a metro system on par with London or Paris. There are many smaller metro railways around.

In relation to comparing carriage numbers of buses and trains, that's silly as it follows that high frequency light rail will carry more than low frequency buses in most urban markets.

Again, you're the one who compared the Helsinki metro to Dublin Bus, you said: "It has an underground, yes but it isn't exactly ... a Dublin Bus level of service or anything". Most if my post was about debunking that claim.

Btw, not that it matters given the lines are so blurred these days, but the Helsinki metro was build as a heavy rail metro and it is not viewed as a light rail system.

Advertisement