Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Attic Conversion

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

TheDriver wrote: »
    if the attic conversion is a proper stairs etc but only used for "storage" i.e. not going to be used as a bedroom, does one still need to have the escape route through the house??

Yes through the house and also from the attic room. You are creating an additional storey within the dwelling. It now needs to be treated as a three storey house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 asdf9999

Hi

I'm also looking to convert attic

The idea is to give two teenagers some space.

I was planning to have a pull down stairs, 2 velux windows, lights, flooring

I have those v shaped trusses so I need steel girders to replace them.

I was wondering what is minimum cost?

And is there any issue if I choose not to have a proper stairs ?

I don't want a stairs because it takes up space from existing landing or room

And because it's for teenagers I think they will enjoy the privacy of access by ladder only. M and D less likely to intrude.

And I like the idea of putting away the ladder

Thoughts ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭893bet

And in the event of a fire they may burn to death. That's the risk of the pull down ladder.

It won't meet fire regs which most see as a nuisance but are also in place to protect you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

asdf9999 wrote: »
    Hi

And because it's for teenagers I think they will enjoy the privacy of access by ladder only. M and D less likely to intrude.

Thoughts ?

With the money you save on the stairs you can buy decent coffins, although it will be a closed casket ceremony due to the extent of the burns to the people sleeping up there.

Of all weeks, its national fire week too!

Anyway, over dramatic rant done, cop on and put a proper stairs in there with proper fire alarm and detection throughout the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 asdf9999

Keep your hair on.. don't let it burn off...

Not planning on having anyone get burned.. they won't be sleeping up there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

asdf9999 wrote: »
    Hi

Thoughts ?

It's impossible to give a guess at costing without knowing the actual sizes, what trusses need changing and what reinforcement and remedial works need to be done, you should also keep in mind the possible future sale of the house. Any potential buyer will require full certification of any alteration works, so get a professional involved from the start, it will cost less in the long run.

Advertisement