Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Yeats College Galway?

• 18-03-2012 2:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi everyone:) im in 5th year at the minute and im thinking about moving to yeats next year to do the one year leaving cert course there..just wondering whats the school and accomodation like? Is there anytime for a social life and if there is what kind of things do you do? Im really nervous about going so if theres anyone who has gone there id really like to hear their experience of it! also, the school mentioned theyd like to interview me, what kind of things do they ask?Thanks so much!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Deltaeco

Gooooood Vibes not your typical school atmosphere.

might be actually enjoyably

Straight forward---

Just a formality & of course the (elephant) Q. of payment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

kate1610 wrote: »
    Hi everyone:) im in 5th year at the minute and im thinking about moving to yeats next year to do the one year leaving cert course there..just wondering whats the school and accomodation like? Is there anytime for a social life and if there is what kind of things do you do? Im really nervous about going so if theres anyone who has gone there id really like to hear their experience of it! also, the school mentioned theyd like to interview me, what kind of things do they ask?Thanks so much!:)
    Why do you feel you need to go here? I don't live far away from the place and I know a lot of people that went there. Some of the teachers aren't great, some are. I would really suggest doing the LC in your current school and maybe taking up some grinds in anything you find you're not doing too well in. It costs a pile of money to go here, money that could be spent on college where you'll really need it. If you put the work in you current school there's no reason why you couldn't acheive the same points you'd get in yeats.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 urriefurrie

I really need some info. I am thinking about applying to yeats college to repeat as a mature student. I understand that there are fees involved I think about ~ 6,500 euros so i've saved up but what else do you need to do, I think theres also an interview with the principal as well. But can anyone tell me if theres an application form and where I can get one as I have already gone into yeats website and checked everywhere and can't seem to find any and what kind of info are they looking for that I would need to supply to them e.g.do i need past leaving cert results, previous leaving cert exam no., pps no. etc and is the interview with the principal difficult?thanks everyone i know lots of questions as well:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 iluvgreenday246

No you dont need an application form, ring them up and arrange a meeting with the principal. There you just talk to him about subject choices, what you wannna do etc. so he knows what direction youre going in... Its not an interrogation like :P and then at the end he'll bring up payment and give you forms to fill out with your details and stuff. Went there myself for two years (leaving cert twice, not fifth year) and to be honest i think its worth every penny. Went from d's in all my summer tests in 5th year to 590 in my mocks this year and hopefully an offer of medicine! And of course there is a social life, people in the bnbs go out quite a bit, you can have as much fun as you want but its at the peril of your results... basically the teachers are class, and they help you as much as they can and you get amazing notes but at the end of the day you still have to do all the work yourself, theres no miracles!! ::P

• Registered Users Posts: 13 urriefurrie

Cheers iluvgreenday246 for the info will give them a ring and get a meeting with him thanks again:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭iMMer5ion

I'm hoping to repeat there too. And by the way, I think the fee's are €6,900 not €6,500. A few years ago they were over €8,000!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 kate1610

yer man! wrote: »
    Why do you feel you need to go here? I don't live far away from the place and I know a lot of people that went there. Some of the teachers aren't great, some are. I would really suggest doing the LC in your current school and maybe taking up some grinds in anything you find you're not doing too well in. It costs a pile of money to go here, money that could be spent on college where you'll really need it. If you put the work in you current school there's no reason why you couldn't acheive the same points you'd get in yeats.

Well seeing as I spent my entire fifth year with one entirely useless Chemistry teacher and an English teacher that was barely ever in, so much so that we dont have a quarter of the English course covered, no way I will be spending my leaving cert year at my old school :) As for grinds my parents forked out an absoloute fortune for grinds just to keep me up with classwork but an hour a week for €40 just isnt good enough to be honest. I was working hard in my old school but as I want to study medicine I cant be spending all my time in grinds in my old school where as in Yeats I could be sending my time studying and actually understanding Chemistry for a change :D. That is why I am going there!
    Cheers iluvgreenday246 for the info will give them a ring and get a meeting with him thanks again:)
    I think fees are in the region of about €1050 a month with a deposit of €600 to be paid before you start :) That doesnt include books, accommodation though..its just to get in! The meeting with the principal is really relaxed and he puts you at ease straight away, really decent guy even paid for a taxi for me and my mam the day we went up because we parked so far out of town :) He will ask for exam results, he asked for my junior cert and asked me what subjects I found easy or hard in 5th year...All in all the meeting is nothing to get worried about:) Good luck with next year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

I can see why people with poor teachers go here. That said, you can have fantastic teachers anywhere. I was very happy and supposedly went to a fairly poor school. If you've good teachers anywhere you're going to do better with hard work yourself too of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Does anybody know what the fees are for the student residences at this place? If I manage to convince my parets to take out a loan, sell my siblings and start dealing drugs I could probably go.

Hahaha I know my parents are pretty much doing the same! :) I'm going there in September and the school hasnt sent out the list of accommodation yet unforch but from what I've heard yeats hall of residence isnt going to be taking in students this year ..there are loads of houses along the road which yeats is on which take in boarders and from what I remember prices range from about 100 up depending on which meals you want included or if you dont want any included...thats probaly better than the hall of residence anyway because they're nearer to yeats than the hall was :) I think though if you stay there you have to go home at the weekend...so if you want to stay up weekends for saturday study you could try a b&b, but I'll be honest Ive no idea how much that costs, probaly more expensive than the house! Hope this helped you :)

• Advertisement

I saw somewhere on the internet a small Yeats timetable. It comprised of school times, break, lunch and the times for after school study.
    I can't seem to find it again:mad: and I would really like to see it!!! If ye see it again, lemme know! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 markojordo

Im going to Yeats next year for the one year course...booked accomodation today in one of the b&bs straight across the road (st.judes) It a really nice place and got the last available room! So if you havnt gone looking for accom. yet get looking before spaces fill uP!
    Oh and the hall of residence will not be available this year due to the long distance from
    The college (45 mins with morning traffic :L )

markojordo wrote: »
    Im going to Yeats next year for the one year course...booked accomodation today in one of the b&bs straight across the road (st.judes) It a really nice place and got the last available room! So if you havnt gone looking for accom. yet get looking before spaces fill uP!
    Oh and the hall of residence will not be available this year due to the long distance from
    The college (45 mins with morning traffic :L )
    See u there Marko :) what was the meeting like with Terry?

@iMMer5ion The meeting was grand just went into his office with my parents and just discussed what i wanted out of yeats and he just took down details about what subjects I wanted to do! He's really sound and just explained how the year works and stuff...seems like motivation is his main idea about the place! then he just left the room and let us discuss whether it sounded good or not (which it really did) and when he cam back he had an enrolement form which I filled out and gave a 600 euro deposit..! Have you sorted accommodation yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Woah you've had the interview already?

Ya had the interview at the beginning of easter!

@markojordo well I live in Galway, so accommodation sorted :D might walk in somedays if weather is good, just for a bit of exercise. A few of my friends who went last September said a lot of people in Yeats gain weight after the first few months.
    I'm repeating my LC there. Still have to organize my interview with him. A bit anxious about it, will probably be a bit nervous on the day lol.
    Easter was very early for an interview

Hope i don't become obese so :P i think there's a gym in the school basement :D I was kinda nervous about the interview aswell but terry will put you at ease straight away...like theres no chance of being refused or anything :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

If your willing to put in work anyways I don't understand the need to go there.
    From what I've seen your just handed everything on a golden platter there, but that's no good unless you work at it.

biohaiid wrote: »
    If your willing to put in work anyways I don't understand the need to go there.
    From what I've seen your just handed everything on a golden platter there, but that's no good unless you work at it.

There is no point putting in hard work in a school where you are learning the wrong stuff from rubbish teachers. What yeats does is give you the notes on only the info. that matters and that you will need in the exams so you can put the hard work into learning the right stuff and only the right stuff :) so yaa there is a need to go there ;)

• Advertisement

Hope i don't become obese so :P i think there's a gym in the school basement :D I was kinda nervous about the interview aswell but terry will put you at ease straight away...like theres no chance of being refused or anything :L

That's reassuring thanks :) yeah there is one but apparently no one really uses it. That's good though, better for those who will :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

There is no point putting in hard work in a school where you are learning the wrong stuff from rubbish teachers. What yeats does is give you the notes on only the info. that matters and that you will need in the exams so you can put the hard work into learning the right stuff and only the right stuff :) so yaa there is a need to go there ;)

I suppose if your local has rubbish teachers.
    But like what I'm saying is if you put in the work no matter where you go you'll be fine. :) Only so much the school/teachers can do. God knows my school or the teachers weren't the best, but all you had to do was work that bit more.

I presume after August 15th isn't too late to enrol? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

If you and your parents have the money to pay for grind schools, then whatever, I don't agree with it but sure anyone can do what they like with their money, but going to a grind school can never be classed as a need imo. :p If 'rubbish teachers' teach the course, then they're not teaching the wrong stuff. And yeah some teachers are a bit rubbish admittedly but in that case it's up to you to put in a bit of work yourself, at the end of the day it's you that's sitting the exam, not your teacher.

If you want to learn 'the right stuff', have a look at the syllabus for your subjects by the way, that'd put you on the right path.

In my opinion, you can do just as well in the LC in your own school without spending thousands upon thousands of euro on a grind school education, but that's just my opinion and if you don't agree, that's fine too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ellebasI16

I'm heading Yeats direction in September aswel, no point sticking around in my old school when I only have one decent teacher! Had the meeting aswell, Terry is grand. You just have a chat about what you want to achieve, what kind of student are you (punctuality and concentration),your results from your JC, then what subjects you want to do. He really does put you at your ease and is very helpful. Haven't gotten around to the accommodation yet, thought I would be fine starting in August but might give it a go and get it started nearer the end of July. Didn't realize the Yeats Accommodation was closed but I wasn't planning on going there anyways.

@Slow Show I don't think it should be an acceptable fact that some teachers are rubbish, all teachers should reach a certain standard and the young people of the country are being let down because of it. It is next to impossible for a student to teach themselves subjects such as Biology,Chemistry and Honours Maths without some guidance from a teacher aswell as three other subjects. I respect your opinion but it is a very scary place to be in when you know your going to have to teach yourself at least four honour level subjects and I really couldn't take the chance and Yeats was one of my only options.

@iMMer5ion I found a timetable on the brochure on the website, I don't know if it will be the same for this coming September but I'm assuming it is:
    Monday-Thursday: 8.45am-12.50pm; 1.50pm-4.45pm, then followed by study from 6.15pm-8.45om.
    Friday: 8.45am-2.30pm.
    It also says study hall will be open from 8am each morning until 8.45pm with extended opening hours after Christmas. Hope this helps! :)

Any one else coming to Yeats in September?

ellebasI16 wrote: »
    I'm heading Yeats direction in September aswel, no point sticking around in my old school when I only have one decent teacher! Had the meeting aswell, Terry is grand. You just have a chat about what you want to achieve, what kind of student are you (punctuality and concentration),your results from your JC, then what subjects you want to do. He really does put you at your ease and is very helpful.

@iMMer5ion I found a timetable on the brochure on the website, I don't know if it will be the same for this coming September but I'm assuming it is:
    Monday-Thursday: 8.45am-12.50pm; 1.50pm-4.45pm, then followed by study from 6.15pm-8.45om.
    Friday: 8.45am-2.30pm.
    It also says study hall will be open from 8am each morning until 8.45pm with extended opening hours after Christmas. Hope this helps! :)

Any one else coming to Yeats in September?
    Thanks I could never find it on my iPod :) I'm almost certain I'm going.

Im going there too ellebas :) By the way accomodation round it is filling up fast, Yeats are supposed to be sending out the list of accomodation but if you ring them theyll give you the names of some people taking in students, I still have to go up as well :P Anyways see ya there :) You too immer5ion :) Hope its worth it after all this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bonnielee

hey all depending on 2mro ,when i get my LC results but i know i havnt done well at all ,
    so am considering going to yeats, would it be to late 2 book b&b accom.? and anyone have any ideas on the price? im 19 and and just want to no if i can have that freedom to go out for a drink or to, what other accomotaion is available that would that would i dont no let me go for a night walk if i felt like it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Some of the best teachers in Galway are in the lesser known schools and people from Yeats go to them for grinds, how does that make sense?

• Advertisement

Hey bonnielee, not sure if your still considering yeats after today but accommodation in the b&bs on the road yeats is on go for €100 up without meals to up to about €140 for full board, thats if your sharing anyway, if you go for a single room itd be about €20 more :) Theres loads of b&bs on that road so you'd be sure to find a room in one of them! I'm not sure about going out, all I can tell you about that is that in the place I'm staying we have to be in the house at 10 and can only stay out after that or go out drinking if a parent has given permission to the landlady, but I'm sure all the houses have different rules. Just to let you know though some of the houses wont take you until they know you've had your interview with Terry. :) If you want I can pm you on a few numbers of the b&bs of the list we got out from the school :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Liv16

Hi guys :) currently going into fifth year in my own school and going to yeats for 6th, was wonderin if anyone knows if there's accomidation in the actual college and what's it like? And do many people stay in the college accomidation or is it mostly b&bs?, Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ladymacbeth

Liv16 wrote: »
    Hi guys :) currently going into fifth year in my own school and going to yeats for 6th, was wonderin if anyone knows if there's accomidation in the actual college and what's it like? And do many people stay in the college accomidation or is it mostly b&bs?, Thanks :)

The accommodation is the b&b's on College Road

Ohrite, and do u walk or take bus in? :)

Ohrite, and do u walk or take bus in? :)

From the b&b's? They're right beside the school :)

Oh good thanks :D

• Advertisement

Oh good thanks :D

All a 2 minute walk from the bus station too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

B&B's are right beside the school all along college road, just up from the bus/train station which is a 2 minute walk away.

Some serve dinners, others don't.
    Prices range from 125 to 165, if I remember correctly. This usually depends on if you are getting dinners and if you are sharing/stayin in your own room.

As for Yeats itself, it is a tough transition, but just keep your head down and do your work on time, study what your told and always be organised and you should be fine.
    The teachers are very good and helpful. They are great for giving you time and if you ask, they may give you a grind/talk with you about something.

They are very strict on exams which are treated seriously. Towards the end of the year they send home letters telling your parents if you aren't doing well in a subject.
    At any stage throughout the year, they *may* send a text message home if you haven't your homework done/learnt.

Homework in Yeats almost always includes learning off notes of some sort. It's worth the effort though and if you just do as your told, you should have no problem there and in the LC.

Hope this helps.

All a 2 minute walk from the bus station too :)

That'll be really handy :) and do most people from outside of galway go to the b&bs on the Sunday night or early Monday morning?

Dapics wrote: »
    B&B's are right beside the school all along college road, just up from the bus/train station which is a 2 minute walk away.

Some serve dinners, others don't.
    Prices range from 125 to 165, if I remember correctly. This usually depends on if you are getting dinners and if you are sharing/stayin in your own room.

As for Yeats itself, it is a tough transition, but just keep your head down and do your work on time, study what your told and always be organised and you should be fine.
    The teachers are very good and helpful. They are great for giving you time and if you ask, they may give you a grind/talk with you about something.

They are very strict on exams which are treated seriously. Towards the end of the year they send home letters telling your parents if you aren't doing well in a subject.
    At any stage throughout the year, they *may* send a text message home if you haven't your homework done/learnt.

Homework in Yeats almost always includes learning off notes of some sort. It's worth the effort though and if you just do as your told, you should have no problem there and in the LC.

Hope this helps.

Thanks a million dapics! That was really helpful, it sounds pretty intense with all the study, much more stricter than the school I'm in now :L but u can have the craic during the day right? :)

Yeah, its a good buzz.

Most people are in the same boat, not knowing alot of people there/anyone there. You will enjoy it, everyone is civil and there are no cliques or anything as its impossible for them to form given the fact 75% of people there are going there for the first time.

• Advertisement

Ohrite that's grand thanks :) wud ya have the daily timetable handy? Coz i came across it ages ago and now can't find it anywhere

Ohrite that's grand thanks :) wud ya have the daily timetable handy? Coz i came across it ages ago and now can't find it anywhere

Well everyone's timetable is different.

But each class is 1 hour/55 minutes, with 7 classes each day. Most people will have two/three study classes each day where they go to their assigned study hall (alphabetically done).

Evening study starts from quarter to 6 till half 8, after christmas this goes to half 9.

Saturday study is on for the most of the year with sunday study on during the last few months.

Woah it a really long day, on the website it says theres facilitys like a gym and stuff, are u aloud use it after the evening study? And do ya have to stay for all of the evening study or cud ya walk out half way or what? :)

Woah it a really long day, on the website it says theres facilitys like a gym and stuff, are u aloud use it after the evening study? And do ya have to stay for all of the evening study or cud ya walk out half way or what? :)

You can leave evening study at half 8 if you want to. I doubt you'd have the energy to use the gym after study. I think the school closes after study anyways. Although I'm sure you can use it after study on the weekends

Advertisement