Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Johntegr wrote: »
    Smells. Burns skin. Waste.

Then again, a litre of petrol is cheaper than a litre of Detar!

Petrol is the **** when it comes to de tarring, don't diss it!
    Got my check light issue sorted out, then got her mapped by Joe Power. Completely different animal, well worth the few quid for it!

Had to celebrate this by driving to Limerick to inspect Limerick Girl's (aka Limerick man) Golf.

Ya and ate all me biscuits ye fat whores! (aka Gary eile)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

MugMugs wrote: »
    Gave Betty a good going over today. Power hosed, brush washed, rinsed, mitt washed, rinsed, dried, waxed. Wish I had of known white spirits would have sorted the tar, its beginning to build up. Scoured the alloys too and dressed the tyres and a good Hoover to top it off. Will stick a few pics up tomorrow. :)

What did you do to your car though?:P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Petrol is the **** when it comes to de tarring, don't diss it!

Tried it, white spirits FTW. Much better. Give it a try!

Back on topic:
    Took that:

415lEToaBFL._SS500_.jpg

And applied it to that:

ford-c-max-2002-2005.jpg

(Not actually mine, but same thing)
    And marveled at the amount of crud that came of the upholstery.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Got a good bit done this weekend. Got it up on a lift and gave it a good inspection, also removed the clutch delay valve while it was on the lift and it made a big difference to the feel of the clutch, No more granny-like gear changes...

Put the 17s back on and im trying to track down an oem MV2 and then the alloys are going for a refurb and new tyres.

Also gave the interior a good clean with this:

XL_DC34-IRSYE.jpg

Its a great little yoke.

Then the exterior got a good wash and two coats of wax and the tyres were dressed. no pics because i just wasn't arsed :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

A different meaning to Sunday service...? :pac:

Image1926.jpg

Image1927.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

dgt wrote: »
    A different meaning to Sunday service...? :pac:

Amen and Hallelujah!

http://www.facebook.com/v/10151385660635176

Dunno if that will work or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It didnt.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It didnt.

Aww.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Aww.

The pic you have isn't half bad

• Advertisement

Two S200's, Fiat Coupe, Triumph GT6, Tr4a and an Mg Midget. Not a bad selection :P

432030_10151382020890176_805400175_23483603_1105827129_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Conzy - that yoke looks like Terminator's juice machine :pac:

Read that however you want but I meant it in the non-sexual way RANDY!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Ah here now!! :eek:

I didn't say a fecking word about Terminator's juice machine, or suction or nozzles, not even about the orangey-red colour of the trim!!

Always getting fecking blamed for everything in the wrong, even writing on people's cars!!

/wanders off in a huff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Last week my Rad burst and I had overheating issues coming into Galway..I left the car there and got the parts shipped down.
    Sorted it over a couple of hours this Saturday..not the hardest job, but not the easisest so far

PARTS:

New Rad - Aluminium 15% Better cooling and at least half the weight of the old one.

img0091large.jpg

Another delivery?? Don't remember ordering anything this big?

img0086largew.jpg

Some size box to ship a bit of mesh from Longford!

img0088large.jpg

Lots of Toyota4Life Coolant..was able to use the old stuff I drained from the system (it was only changed June last year)

img0092largee.jpg

Old Rad Cap worse for wear during the overheating and was changed last week

img0097large.jpg

I was given some sound advce "If its not broken, don't fix it"...BUT I had visions of one of the pipes ripping and
    having to go down to Galway another weekend...so I ordered 2 pipes and clips off Mr.T..no harm as the ones on it and 12
    years old at this stage.

img0083largey.jpg

Work:

Jacked up and ready to drop the Rad

img0078large.jpg

Not the worst job of my life...drain the rad, remove the fan, cables, etc...hardest thing to get off was the hoses..
    My hands look like I've been bare knuckle boxing!

img0079large.jpg

RAD out.....this doesn't look like it should be there!!! I think we have our culprit.

img0082large.jpg

This is the culprit...it was actually in behind the fan??Does anyone know whats its from? It looks like some sort of marker
    with 60 wrote on the top???

img0094large.jpg

Mesh grill measured and moved on cardboard for front bumper

img0089large.jpg

Mesh installed on bumper to help prevent rad damage...not sure why this wasn't on it leaving the line..it looks great

img0095large.jpg

Just a bit of bleeding of the cooling system and a test of the system to make sure its working fine..needed a few small topups so far
    going into the system..back to Dublin with no overheating issues :)

RESULT! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

That little blue thing wouldn't be the cause. It looks more like a manufacturer tag of some sort, seen them several times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

That little blue thing wouldn't be the cause. It looks more like a manufacturer tag of some sort, seen them several times.

Whether it was or not..There was definately a big hole under it (didn't take pic) and the outer wire (or whatever its called :P) was all crushed around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Excellent job erin! Hopefully you won't have any more issues with the car. Now you need to get that kestrel out and make the paint good :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

EPM wrote: »
    They are the SuperSkoda ones alright. But of advice if you're buying them make sure it's a bulk order to make the most of the P&P as it can be a little off the wall otherwise.
    got them along with the LED numberplate kit,€2.99 P&P

i gave the car a service aswell,oil,air,pollen,fuel filters,fresh oil and got factory CC working aswell.
    going to clean out the EGR/mani next

have a strange noise comeing from the wheal area,more noticeable on left turns but for the life of me i cant find the cause :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Fiona

Left my banger into the doctor this morning. Just been given my list of what needs to be done. Dislike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

is your e30 really unreliable or is it just going through a bad patch miss c?

is your e30 really unreliable or is it just going through a bad patch miss c?

To be fair the only time it has let me down is when the fan belts snapped & the clutch plate went which meant it couldn't be driven.

It's an old car, I took a risk and bought it with no service history really. I asked ND to basically check EVERYTHING on it as that has never been done since I got the car, bits and bobs were done here and there.

I knew the diff needed to be looked at but there is a lot of stuff on it that needs to be fixed that I would never have known about obviously cos I am not mechanically minded.

Glad though now that I know what needs to be done even if I will have to sell my soul to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

are they smalls bit that you just want to have done to be rid of or biggish things that need to be done. id like an e30 someday but dont want it to break me if i do

are they smalls bit that you just want to have done to be rid of or biggish things that need to be done. id like an e30 someday but dont want it to break me if i do

break pipes on their way out
    diff leaking and diff mounting to be replaced
    steering knuckle cracked
    small exhaust leak
    gearbox is leaking
    tie rods have some play in them
    drop links

I just scribbled this down while on the phone so some of it might be wrong.

If you don't have money to waste then don't buy an old car, plain and simple.

The first 3 on the list are to be done asap, I wouldn't drive the car now knowing what I do now.

EDIT - got price for everything bar engine oil leak and gearbox leak, not quite so bad!

Public transport for 4 days. Bad!!!

Nothing I'd consider out of the ordinary for a 22 year old car TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Nothing I'd consider out of the ordinary for a 22 year old car TBH.

I've seen worse 4 year old cars. It ain't too bad, but long lists of faults can be scary lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

mrs crilly wrote: »
    Public transport for 4 days. Bad!!!
    Yuck :eek: You have my sympathy.

On the plus side, you'll have the E30 running as it should after it, so there is light at the end of the tunnel ;)

Gary ITR wrote: »
    I've seen worse 4 year old cars. It ain't too bad, but long lists of faults can be scary lol

What mrs c posted isn't the full list :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

What mrs c posted isn't the full list :eek:

Oh dear. One thing I hated in the garage was giving bad news, especially to people like Mrs C who would be enthusiasts. I had to tell a chap a while back his engine needed serious work (he had installed a water meth injection incorrectly and the injection nipple ended up in a cylinder), I felt so guilty telling him this!

I maintain it's be easier to tell somebody they are dying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Gary ITR wrote: »

I maintain it's be easier to tell somebody they are dying

Cheaper fix a lot of the time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement