Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi on Christmas Day?.....

Options
  • 22-11-2010 11:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I am looking for a taxi company which takes bookings for Christmas day....south county dublin area....
    Can anyone help me?!

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

just google "taxi south dublin" and the companies will come up. Ring them and ask. quicker than waiting here for a response.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I use Xpert Taxis as they have a very reliable and friendly booking system. I'm sure they're working on the 25th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

NRC work on Christmas day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Flo22

Super, thank you so much for yoru help.

Especially you Cookie Monster.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,994 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

NRC work on Christmas day

But will there be drivers working that day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭afatbollix

go for the bigger cab companys.. cab2000 and all them book in advance..

Last year there was a few at taxi ranks when I was leaving work at 8am christmas morning..

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

I am sure there will be a few taxis working Christmas Day but better to book one to be sure. Is it just a one way journey or will you need to be collected afterwards? As far as I know you will need to prebook one as the companies will probably only have a limited number of drivers available on that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Flo22

Thank you all so much; yu have really helped me out

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Given the year that is in it, I suspect many drivers would like to work on the day, even if only for a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 maddymcc

Hi all, new to this but did a fairly extensive ring around as have to organise a taxi for Xmas day. I was advised by them all including NRC, Bluecabs and other large companies that they will have a skeleton staff on but will not take a pre booking. They seemed amused at the fact that I could not understand the 'first come first served' premise in spite of my explaining that I needed to book a cab to allow my Dad come out of hospital to spend a few hours with us.
    Not impressed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

maddymcc wrote: »
    Hi all, new to this but did a fairly extensive ring around as have to organise a taxi for Xmas day. I was advised by them all including NRC, Bluecabs and other large companies that they will have a skeleton staff on but will not take a pre booking. They seemed amused at the fact that I could not understand the 'first come first served' premise in spite of my explaining that I needed to book a cab to allow my Dad come out of hospital to spend a few hours with us.
    Not impressed.
    Everyone else who will be looking for a taxi on Christmas day will want it for the same kind of reasons so the companies obviously see the fairest way of giving everyone a reasonable service is to operate on a first come/as required basis. They also may not know how many staff they will have available to work on the day so would not be able to stand over bookings.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Dubwat

If I look out my window, I can see the homes of 3 taxi drivers. If you live in a housing estate, I'd be fairly confident there's one or two taxi drivers in your estate.

Maybe you could talk to one of your taxi neighbours and agree a price for Xmas day? If it's just 30mins each way at a fixed time(s), they might tear themselves away from the turkey?

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Not impressed.
    You need to find a local taxi driver and ask him can you book him directly.

Thanks for the tips. Will try some smaller local guys. I understand the concept of first come first serve on a normal day but I was willing to pay in advance. Silly me!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

• Registered Users Posts: 25,709 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

But you are first - you asked today instead of in three weeks time. Or maybe they're booked up already.

In fairness, I got a fuller explanation from Terenure cabs who explained that it is not that they do not want to take a pre booking but more a case of not being able to guarantee who will turn up to work on Xmas day.
    I will have to take my chances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

I know from when my company had an account with Bluecabs they do have a minimum amount of drivers out on Christmas Day to cover their account work with the hospitals and blood bank. Probably why they wouldn't take a pre booking form one poster is they have to prioritize those jobs. I'd say they're worth a shout on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,994 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

seanmacc wrote: »
    I know from when my company had an account with Bluecabs they do have a minimum amount of drivers out on Christmas Day to cover their account work with the hospitals and blood bank. Probably why they wouldn't take a pre booking form one poster is they have to prioritize those jobs. I'd say they're worth a shout on the day.

That's pretty much how it's done. Any essential accounts like HSE/hospital work, utilities etc get first call. They usually have their trips flagged a few days ahead so base controllers can see who will do a few hours on the day and plan out what they can cover and when. After that, regular private clients will be looked after if possible, again with a bit of notice. As drivers are going to be extra scarce on the day the cab firms will look after their regular callers first over one off calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

ask a taxi driver yourself op

if you see any lads going around town etc, or your using a taxi you like then ask them for number and if they'd do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

ask a taxi driver yourself op

if you see any lads going around town etc, or your using a taxi you like then ask them for number and if they'd do it.

And if you offer them some "financial" gravy to go with their Xmas turkey you might get more of a response

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Not impressed.

NRC took a booking off me a few years ago to go visit my father in a nursing home for Christmas day. Never showed up. When I rang them they'd no one available, ended up with over an hour's walk and missing half of Christmas dinner.
    A few weeks later the same crowd later failed to turn up with a wheelchair accessible taxi, then asked me would a regular taxi not do instead.
    Been using small local firms since.

You might be better off with a smaller firm, they might have a better idea of exactly who's going to be available on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bdeithrick

Carrig cabs myself is out and about Bray Greystknes and Sth Dublin early to late
    I'll be on Greystknes late on in the night
    On <snip> and hailO
    Biut ring me on <snip> or tweet @carrigcabs

Have a nice one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Just a quick question about the Christmas period and taxi fares. I know taxis are allowed the premium fares on ChChristmas day boxing day and new years day but are they allowed to add 50% to the local fares on Christmas eve?

I mention the local fares because here in Carlow the local journeys are all charged at €6 whether they are for 1km up to 4km afaik but a local firm co-op taxis have notices in their cars stating they will be charging €9 for all local runs from this morning right up to next Friday. Is that legal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

No its not. From 20.00 on Christmas Eve, they may Charge the premium rate of €4.45, with Tariff C applied after that. See here http://transportforireland.ie/fares/taxi/

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Just a quick question about the Christmas period and taxi fares. I know taxis are allowed the premium fares on ChChristmas day boxing day and new years day but are they allowed to add 50% to the local fares on Christmas eve?

I mention the local fares because here in Carlow the local journeys are all charged at €6 whether they are for 1km up to 4km afaik but a local firm co-op taxis have notices in their cars stating they will be charging €9 for all local runs from this morning right up to next Friday. Is that legal?

All taxis ( with roof sign and meter) must calculate the fare on taxi Meter, anything over that price is over charging. €9 seems very cheap so say nout

bdeithrick wrote: »
    Carrig cabs myself is out and about Bray Greystknes and Sth Dublin early to late
    I'll be on Greystknes late on in the night
    On <snip> and hailO
    Biut ring me on <snip> or tweet @carrigcabs

Have a nice one
    Perhaps best not to put your phone number on the internet.

Victor wrote: »
    Perhaps best not to put your phone number on the internet.

That's the idea mate ! So I get work and people get service

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Did you get sorted?

• Advertisement

bdeithrick wrote: »
    That's the idea mate ! So I get work and people get service
    People can send you a private message. WE have no way of knowing whether that is genuinely your number or not.

Advertisement