Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Non-teaching Statutory Declaration Form

• 28-12-2012 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭

Hi folks.

I am about to start a 6-month internship at a primary school in a non-teaching position.

I got a Statutory Declaration form from my employer and have been asked to fill it in. The form in question is on Page 12 of this .pdf

Now, before I go to the Notary Public, do I have to fill in the top part.
    I <MY NAME> of, <MY ADDRESS> in the county of <MY COUNTY>

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you all in advance :)

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭VampiricPadraig

Tom Young wrote: »
    Yes.

Couldn't have been any simpler eh?

Thanks Tom :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

I am not sure that a Notary Public can witness a Statutory Declaration, as far as I know it must be either a Commissioner for Oaths or a practising solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭VampiricPadraig

dats_right wrote: »
    I am not sure that a Notary Public can witness a Statutory Declaration, as far as I know it must be either a Commissioner for Oaths or a practising solicitor.

Please refer to the link to the .pdf in the OP.

At the bottom of Page 12, it clearly show "Notary Public".

1GrFp.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

Please refer to the link to the .pdf in the OP.

At the bottom of Page 12, it clearly show "Notary Public".

In my experience of witnessing a dozen or so statutory declarations every month, I can assure you that forms like this are frequently wrong so I would not be influenced by that one way or the other. Anyway, I have since my last post checked the Statutory Declarations Act 1938 and it would seem that a Notary Public can also take statutory declarations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

dats_right wrote: »
    In my experience of witnessing a dozen or so statutory declarations every month, I can assure you that forms like this are frequently wrong so I would not be influenced by that one way or the other. Anyway, I have since my last post checked the Statutory Declarations Act 1938 and it would seem that a Notary Public can also take statutory declarations.

A Notary Public can indeed witness a Statutory Declaration but if you are located in Ireland, and your document is for use in Ireland then to use a Notary would be overkill.

A Notary is supposed to sign documents that are being sent abroad only, and hence they charge more. The competition authority forbids the setting of a fee but I have heard amounts of EUR 40-60 mentioned per signature.

The Faculty of Notaries have a rule that if a Notary is asked to sign a document which could also be signed by a lesser Commissioner for Oaths they they should do so wearing their Commissioner for Oaths hat, unless the customer insists that a more expensive Notary signature is needed.

Interestingly, on the topic of many forms being incorrect I must agree. What especially annoys me is when some Statutory Declarations have "Garda" as a signatory option. A Garda is certainly not empowered under the Stat Dec Act 1938. Yet in some CoCo tenders they are an option.

Advertisement