Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where do i stand after buying a stolen car!!

Options
  • 08-12-2013 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

basically i bought a stolen car... returned it to gardai when i found out.

i would like to know can i claim equity darling and have i any case???

i also have a thread in the motors section http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057099669 but im just looking for any input from people in the legal side!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Carol_1985

At the bus stop!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 bm69

Im not legally qualified but a good friend of mine made a similar mistake. Unfortunetly the buyer takes the full cost unless whoever stole the car has been caught and the money recovered.
    My friend was down 15,500.
    Hopefully you were not stung too badly. Sorry to hear this. It is very hard to trade privately now due to the amount of scum out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭tomgaa

bm69 wrote: »
    Im not legally qualified but a good friend of mine made a similar mistake. Unfortunetly the buyer takes the full cost unless whoever stole the car has been caught and the money recovered.
    My friend was down 15,500.
    Hopefully you were not stung too badly. Sorry to hear this. It is very hard to trade privately now due to the amount of scum out there.

did your friend take it to court or get any legal advice?? and if he did what was he told??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭rsta

I dont think there's anything you can do. Even if you have a receipt from the seller theres not much hope of you gettin your money back. I hope your not out of pocket too much.

How did you find out the car was stolen after you bought it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Your only recourse is with the person who sold you the car, and there's bugger all chance of getting satisfaction from someone who sells stolen cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

The same happened my uncle with a bike about ten years ago..basically he was at a loss so he called back to the guy he got the bike from and had a chat,returned home with a clean bike

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

You can't get legal advice on here. As said in your other thread, you really need to speak to a solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

The car you bought wasn't stolen. It was legally bought, but the payment was a fake bank draft. You then bought this car from the person. Was the car actually reported as stolen at any stage?

As advised on the other thread. Stop listening to your cousin, as he doesn't seem to be of any help and has made your situation worse. Get the car back if you can, or prevent the Guards from giving it back to the original owner until you can get proper legal advise.

I also don't understand why you got your cousin to put your car through the Garda system to check it out and why you did this after you bought it and not before.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

There are, apparently, two threads both of which have advised you to speak to a solicitor.

Go and speak to a solicitor.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement