Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell XPS M1330 - Requesting advice on comparable systems

Options
  • 23-09-2007 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭

Hi all.
    I'm putting together a new laptop and am smitten with Dell's sexy new M1330's.

I don't use them for gaming so video cards not important as long as they can comfortably run vista with all its graphic bells and whistles etc. I will be using it mainly for music production, minor video editing, audio hub and office work.

Just need it to be as powerful as possible and as light as possible.

Wouldn't go over a 14" screen. Needs to have a built in DVD burner (some UP laptops don't, like my current X1).

OS needs to be windows. I have tried my best with mac's in the past and irrespective of intel processors, parallels, bootcamp et al, I simply cannot get into it. My mac forrays have only convinced me further that I'm a dedicated PC user for better or worse... ;)

I put together the following system (see below) on Dell's website; configured as I want it with a upgraded 7200rpm hdd etc.

It comes in at a pretty steep €2k which is the limit of my budget frankly!

I have been using the Latitude X1 for the past two years and while light and small as an ultraportable, its slow as hell and beginning to frustrate me..

My question is, around the €1500 to €2000 mark, what are my other options in the ultraportable range?
    Has anyone any recommendations on other ultraportables? I'm a bit out of the loop of late and while I don't mind plonking down sufficent cash for the right system...at that money, I want to be sure I have all the options covered!

Any help or suggestions for alternative systems would be greatly appreciated!
    Sorry for the rambling post, been meaning to ask you all for the past few days!
    Cheers.

here is the 1330 spec I'm considering......

Dell XPS M1330 current price including VAT and Delivery: €1965.21

Components
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7300 Processor (2.0GHz,800MHz,4MB L2 cache)
    Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium - English
    Tuxedo Black & 0.3 mega pixel Camera for White-LED Display
    13.3" UltraSharp™ WXGA (1280x800) White-LED Display (300 nits) with TrueLife™
    Biometric Fingerprint Reader
    2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024]
    160GB (7200RPM) SATA Hard Drive
    128MB nVidia® GeForce® 8400M GS
    Fixed 8x DVD+/-RW Slim Slot Load Drive, including SW
    Primary 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery (85 WHr)
    No Modem

Accessories
    No Carry Case
    Dell™ TrueMobile 355 internal Bluetooth Module - European
    Intel® Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-Card - Europe
    Microsoft® Works 8.0 - English
    Services & Software
    Base Warranty - 1 Year XPS Premium Hardware Support (incl. Gaming and On-Site Support)
    No Accidental Damage Support
    No Security/Anti-Virus Protection - English

Also Includes
    List N0913307 - XPS 1330 Best
    Inspiron Order - Ireland
    English Documentation with English/Irish Power Cord
    65W AC Adapter
    Internal Lightweight Keyboard - UK/Irish (QWERTY)
    Base Warranty - 1 Year XPS Premium Hardware Support (incl. Gaming and On-Site Support)
    DHS Promotion Flyer - September - Ireland
    Dell Internet Order.
    Resource DVD - (Diagnostics & Drivers)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Loftus88

That's seems like an alright computer but fairly pricey unless I'm missing something? Also if this laptop is going to be used mainly for audio work then check out it's on board audio because it's usually fairly crappy from the likes of dell. On desktops anyway, not 100% about laptops but don't see it being different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

Check out the Sony SZ series. You could get a machine with a very similar spec... but the price would be the same too:) Possibly a better build quality than the m1330 and definitely a shorter waiting period.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

Cheers for the prompt replies lads.

@ Loftus88: fair point though mobo audio is somewhat moot as I use all outboard audio for recording and mixing. Its pricy because its small and lite and as with most ultraportables they are expensive unfortunately, but I carry around a bunch of other gear always with my laptop so need to keep things light.

@ 2Scoops: Sony SZ series. Cheers I'll check them out! Wait period is a month on the 1330's alright.

Any other suggestions appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Loftus88 wrote:
    That's seems like an alright computer but fairly pricey unless I'm missing something?

You are. :) Smaller size=bigger price.

Any other suggestions appreciated!

Check out the IBM X series or Sony as mentioned above.

I've been playing around with a Toshiba that has a 13" screen - dinky little thing, only €1300, very portable, though I wouldn't class it as an ultraportable.

Cheers Tom. That Tosh 13", is that a 4:3 screen? I would need to have a widescreen monitor.
    Whats the model number I'll take a look.
    I'll also check out the Lenovo's. They have an ultraportable tablet that looks interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

quintron wrote:
    Cheers Tom. That Tosh 13", is that a 4:3 screen? I would need to have a widescreen monitor.
    Whats the model number I'll take a look.

It appears to be widescreen - it is wider than taller, can't say for certain.

Model is Satellite U300-10.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The dell xps you have there has an led backlit display. This type of backlit displays are very new and rare. In a few years they will be standard and probably much cheaper. They push up the price but have the advantage of being thinner, lighter and more energy efficient than normal lcd displays. If ultraportability is what you are after this is the type of screen you will want.

That processor is also relatively new. It has a higher FSB than intels previous offering (The t7200). This means the processor can get data out to the ram quicker. I think these new processors are more energy efficient than the last ones.

That 7200rpm hard drive will eat more energy than a 5400rpm and will cost more just so you know.

If you can downgrade the graphics card go for it. You don't need it and it will just waste battery life.

The 9 cell battery will weigh more than a 6 cell battery but it will give you very good battery life.

While the laptop is costing you a lot of money you are getting some good kit for that money.

Cheers AC. A lot of the reasons for my config are down to what you mention, LED, processor, 7200RPM HDD etc. I know I'm paying a premium for the new LED tech as it will undoubtly be commonplace in the near future.
    You are also right on the processor, slightly more energy efficent than the older ones.
    The 7200 HDD is about €130 more than std 160GB 5400 config and while expensive as an add-on, worth every penny for the performance boost.
    Can't downgrade the graphics as its an xps machine so there are no other options beyond the 8400M GS.
    I also think the 9 cell is important as it will degrade over time like my other batteries, but thankfully the 9 cell model battery is easy to buy unlike my X1 which was impossible to find!
    Ultimately its a nice machine and I haven't as yet seen anything in the weight category that is similarly spec'ed for less money..
    I'll probably bite the bullet and order at the end of the week.
    Any more suggestions very welcome in the meantime!
    PS: Cheers Tom for the model number. Will research tonight.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

quintron wrote:
    The 7200 HDD is about €130 more than std 160GB 5400 config and while expensive as an add-on, worth every penny for the performance boost.

I have a 5400rpm hard disk and I notice no difference compared compared to the 7200rpm in my desk top. I'm sure there is a difference but I don't notice it. But each to his own. If you are settled on getting a 7200rpm hard disk paying €130 to upgrade to it is a bit of a rip off. If you look around on komplett or some other sites you could nearly pick up a 7200rpm 160GB drive for close to that and sell the 5400rpm drive.

Quintron, I've found a 7200rpm 160GB hard drive on elara for €145. If you live or know someone who lives in the Dublin area they can collect it for you for free otherwise you can get delivery for €11. That brings the total price to €156. You should be able to sell the drive that comes with the laptop for about €80 maybe a bit more. This will save you a bit of money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hey man,

I got an m1330 recently.

Get one!! You won't be disapointed!! I spent ages humming and hawing over which laptop to get and am very happy with the m1330!!

Cheers lads. Edging towards it! AC, cheers for your advice on the hdd swap. Its a saving alright but I'd be reticent about swapping out a hdd on a laptop after an old mishap. I'm leaving nothing to chance on a new machine after previous tinkerings! Maybe I'm just getting old... ;-)

quintron wrote:
    Cheers lads. Edging towards it! AC, cheers for your advice on the hdd swap. Its a saving alright but I'd be reticent about swapping out a hdd on a laptop after an old mishap. I'm leaving nothing to chance on a new machine after previous tinkerings! Maybe I'm just getting old... ;-)

Swapping hard drives is a piece of piss. Dell even give you instructions on how to do it with your laptop. Well they did for my inspiron anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

FWIW I'm also very happy with my M1330 :) The LED screen is lovely.

Swapping hard drives is a piece of piss. Dell even give you instructions on how to do it with your laptop. Well they did for my inspiron anyways.
    Tis easy, yes, but there is an OS to consider and I'm past faffing around with that so I guess that makes me a consumer instead of a tweaker now :rolleyes:
    Cheers AC anyway.
    And Koneko nice one on the LED. Looking forward to receiving mine!

quintron wrote:
    Tis easy, yes, but there is an OS to consider and I'm past faffing around with that so I guess that makes me a consumer instead of a tweaker now :rolleyes:
    Cheers AC anyway.
    And Koneko nice one on the LED. Looking forward to receiving mine!

I suppose it's only a few quid you'd be saving. So it's probably not worth the hassle

Advertisement