Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

question for singers

Options
  • 24-08-2009 11:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭

is it possible for someone who cannot sing , is tone deaf, knows nothing aboiut music to learn to or be trained to sing?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Oh deffo man.

SOngs come from the soul, not the mouth.

If you hav the heart and the belief the songs sould just pound out of you.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

I'm not a pro, and I don't know exactly how tone deaf one can be, but in my humble experience it's all a question of working hard, for a long time, and working clever [EDIT: and to enjoy it!!!]

So if you find a good teacher to show you what to do, and sweat tears and blood long enough, you're bound to get somewhere. I suggest you give it a go at least!

I can recommend a teacher if you want. if I forget to check the thread just pm me.

Finally, to ram the point home needlessly, if Michel Petrucciani was able to become a jazz master (piano!!), I don't see what 's to stop you ;)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/513cOUbYP%2BL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Black Thorn

Oink wrote: »
    Finally, to ram the point home needlessly, if Michel Petrucciani was able to become a jazz master (piano!!), I don't see what 's to stop you ;)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/513cOUbYP%2BL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

being tone deaf doesn't effect piano as much. I think it's possible but then again, I've been proved wrong before. It does kind of depend on what you're attempting to sing and what kind of time you put into it but never say never :D

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Seoid

As far as I'm aware, being genuinely tone deaf is very very rare and everyone else definitely has the ability to learn, although it is definitely harder for some people than for others!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭drusk

I don't know what planet some of you are living on. The answer to your question is 'No'.

Go to youtube and look at some clips of auditions at the X Factor or American Idol, or any of those singing competition shows. Some contestants come on, after years training, and they simply cannot hold a tune.

Learning how to play an instument is a skill. A skill you can become talented at.

Singing is a gift. Either you have it or you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Seoid

drusk wrote: »
    I don't know what planet some of you are living on. The answer to your question is 'No'.

Go to youtube and look at some clips of auditions at the X Factor or American Idol, or any of those singing competition shows. Some contestants come on, after years training, and they simply cannot hold a tune.

Learning how to play an instument is a skill. A skill you can become talented at.

Singing is a gift. Either you have it or you don't.

I think that might be a bit harsh.
    Singing is a skill but having a great voice or natural ability is a gift. Learning to sing is about learning to control your voice as well as learning about music, which you need to listen for. In theory anyone has the ability to learn how to sing - i.e. how to control their voice & breathing and to sing on pitch. Not everybody finds it easy and I suspect that the idiot contestants who can't hold a tune aren't the ones who spend years in training (but if they are, it's probably because they can't listen, not that they don't have the ability to learn)

A lot of people naturally have this talent (to sing) but that doesn't mean that the rest of us can't learn to be adequate singers if we're motivated. Not everyone can be a virtuoso or an amazing singer, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Neal_B

Anyone can sing!! Absolutely!
    I couldn't sing, but I went to singing lessons for about 4 months and it is exactly like learning an instrument. You just learn how to control your voice and get over the embarresment (if it exists, some ppl don't get shy at hearing their own voice).

True, some ppl are gifted, but anyone can sing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

The main thing about singing, is that people find success when they discover the best way to sing. Basically, you find your vocal comfort zone and go from there.

Singing is an odd one, because you can be thought to sing, if you are completely unable.

The main thing is, you will not know if YOU can develop your voice unless you try so if it's something you want to do, then do it.

Also, there is a lot of emphasis but on various elements of singing and sound, but there are hundreds of people making a great live for themselves because their natural voices are flawed in some way that is more human, and more appealing, than perfection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭drusk

I agree with many of the points raised above. However, don't be deluded - what may sound good to you, may sound awful to everyone else. If you don't have a natural ability to hold a tune now, then don't expect to become the next Luciano Pavarotti after a few months of singing lessons.

I think this clip proves my point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzyznEewpio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 thecount321

The short answer is YES. Your ear can be tuned in quite easily. Get back if interested.

This thread is over 5 years old so I think OP has his answer at this stage. Please start a new thread if needed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement