Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fastest mobile data network

Options
  • 15-10-2012 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Anyone know of any sort of analysis of mobile network data access speeds in Ireland? Specifically in Dublin.

I'm with emobile for the last year and whilst they beat the pants of O2 for value, their coverage and data speeds just aren't as good (my wife is with Vodafone and they are noticeably better than emobile as well).

Would love to see if anyone did some sort of broad survey analysis?

Failing that: anyone with allot of experience of different networks - what do you think?

Quad

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

wouldnt the amount of variables make it pointless?

I'm with emobile and have no complaints about signal. There is a few hit a miss spots around dublin but by an large its decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Vodafone is fassst in D14 at least. I'm on three and get about 3.5 average, while me aul fella is o2 and gets up to 3. Mam smokes us with a consistent 6 megs though on vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

godtabh wrote: »
    wouldnt the amount of variables make it pointless?

I'm with emobile and have no complaints about signal. There is a few hit a miss spots around dublin but by an large its decent.

I'm not saying emobile are terrible by any means.

But had to throw in a work O2 sim a few months ago for a few days and there was a noticeable improvement in data speeds/coverage/bars of 3G.

Both myself and my wife have iphone fours. And when we are out using google maps looking at houses, she *always* has considerably faster download. (she's vodafone).

O2 and Vodafone are miserable value compared to emobile/meteor and 3.

But they seem to have a noticeable edge in quality.

ED E wrote: »
    Vodafone is fassst in D14 at least. I'm on three and get about 3.5 average, while me aul fella is o2 and gets up to 3. Mam smokes us with a consistent 6 megs though on vodafone.

:eek: What?

I get barely above 1 meg from emobile.

And this is in Dublin city centre with full 3G coverage on a high floor of a building thas clear line of sight in all directions.

Ping: 312ms
    Download: 1.02 Mbps
    Upload: 1.38 Mbps

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

On 3 - if I'm in a HSPA+ area I can get up to 6100 kbps (this is in Galway city west).

• Advertisement

Emobile customer support told me this morning that they are doing allot of 'network upgrades' in and around Dublin 2 the last few weeks that was leading them to disable 3G on some towers. Said it was forcing the phone to try and connect to a cell that was further away hence the poor reception.

I was told to set the phone to 2G only to 'improve' the situation. :confused:

Said I would not sign a new contract until the situation improved.

And seeing what you guys are getting is food for thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Depends on the area. Vodafone always boasts about fastest data speeds, but with their tiny data allowances no wonder why. Because no one can an use it.

I lived in an area before where I could get constantly 3mb at least with Meteor 6mb in the evenings and maybe more at night. Since we moved to a more populated area it got rubbish. Constant disconnections and slow down speeds.

In general was looking to move, but the value on other networks is nowhere in comparison. Would love to Vodafone but their too, O2 is okay on PAYG. So thinking of that

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭masker

emobile is part of eircom and there network is way too slow as compare to others , unfortunately

Advertisement