Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym membership

Options
  • 23-01-2015 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭

Can two friends (male) join a gym as a couple seems it is cheaper?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Its a good question. If they do discounts for couples then legally they need to do them for gay couples so I guess there is nothing stopping you getting the offer, except if they ask you and your mate to prove you're a couple :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Its a good question. If they do discounts for couples then legally they need to do them for gay couples so I guess there is nothing stopping you getting the offer, except if they ask you and your mate to prove you're a couple :D

So you're saying just to be safe go it solo?????

haha=) to be honest if a male or female walked up to the counter and wanted to pay for a couples membership the gym wouldn't be refusing their €1000. They would simply ask the other person in the couple should pop in and get their photo taken for the ID card. So if I were you go along and fill out the application and pay the money. Once they've taken you're money there's no way they're going to question your sexuality. If they ask during the application just say you're partners- the connotation is that you're gay but it could equally mean you're 50/50 partners in a Hornby train set :D If you say 'he's my partner' the gym assistant isn't going to turn around and ask "so you're ****ing each other?" as a qualifying question, just as they wouldn't ask it to a hetro couple.

Your only potential problem with this plan is that if the gym assistant serving you is gay himself. Either he'll spot your story with his gaydar or he'll fall for it hook, line and sinker and then you and your mate are working out and this gay gym instructor keeps winking at ye !

• Registered Users Posts: 18,903 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Muahahaha wrote: »

IIRC it's illegal to ask, as it could be considered discrimination to ask 2 same sex people if they are a couple and not a mixed sex couple.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    IIRC it's illegal to ask, as it could be considered discrimination to ask 2 same sex people if they are a couple and not a mixed sex couple.

ah yeah it was said in jest. Thought I don;t think it is necessarily illegal to ask - if a gym had a rule saying 'All couples must prove themselves to be couples in order to avail of the couples membership offer' then they wouldn't be discriminating against gay couples because the rule says 'All couples' so it would be legal to do that and if two men approached the counter looking for a discounted couple membership then they're perfectly entitled to ask them if they are actually a couple, provided they are doing the same with hetro couples. It can only be discrimination if two sets of people are being treated differently and the burden of proof is on the person taking the case so a gay couple would need to prove that straight couples got preferential treatment for discrimination to actually exist.

The reality of it all on the ground though is that gyms are desperate for membersips right now and I'd say they couldn't care less if two aliens walked up with €1000 looking for a couples membership, they'd just sell it to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

If you are heterosexual, have you any issue with it becoming public knowledge that you are in a relationship with another man?

davo10 wrote: »
    If you are heterosexual, have you any issue with it becoming public knowledge that you are in a relationship with another man?

I think its taken for granted thats its flagrantly bending the rules. Its not going for adoption. I just think its a bit cheeky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

A gym in Newbridge have a "couples" membership - I asked about adding a colleague, and they said no issue whatsoever.

At the end of the day, they are getting 2 new members, albeit at a discount, and frankly after that, i don't think they need to care what the relationship of non relatationshp is.

Deco99 wrote: »
    Can two friends (male) join a gym as a couple seems it is cheaper?

ridiculous of course they can, what gave you the idea it's gender specific?
    I got an extra 4 months free for two of my mates joining. and in my last gym ive seen guys do the same, plus men and wives. you think ben dunne cares where the money comes from? he just wants you to pay a year up front and hopes you never use it so he can squeeze every square inch of value from the floor space!!

its a gym not the IONA institute!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

I had a joint membership deal, I remember signing up and both of us having the same address and the direct debit had to come from the same account as part of the terms. I guess if you were paying a lump sum the bank account wouldn't be such an issue but the address thing may be. As a poster says, I think a gym just wants money at the end of the day and wouldn't be too strict about this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

rusty cole wrote: »
    ridiculous of course they can, what gave you the idea it's gender specific?
    I got an extra 4 months free for two of my mates joining. and in my last gym ive seen guys do the same, plus men and wives. you think ben dunne cares where the money comes from? he just wants you to pay a year up front and hopes you never use it so he can squeeze every square inch of value from the floor space!!

its a gym not the IONA institute!

Calm down.

sorry If that came across strong. I was just making a point, mea culpa as they say in Italy! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,161 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I doubt any gym really cares that the two people involved are a couple, to them they just want two people paying for membership instead of only one.

Marketing wise they may dress it up as a couples offer, but the reality is they just want extra people giving them money. So for a gym to take issue with who the two people are would actually be missing the point of their own promotion. They should spread the word about this "loophole", and then laugh all the way to the bank as people pick their gym simply on the basis of said loophole.

Of course, people are irrational in general, and I can see some staff taking umbrage at the very idea that people will game the system, so who knows how they will react.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Off topic posts deleted.

Joined, wasnt an issue, i went as far as asking was alright for myself and a friend to join up together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

Melendez wrote: »
    The only time I can see it being an issue is where the gym is attempting to prevent an imbalance in male/female memberships. Realistically they will get so few fake gay couples it won't be a problem. It is commonplace in the rental home insurance market,

Not a fake gay couple or trying to pass off as such. Straight joined two for a discount

Advertisement