Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Forgotten/under-rated feuds you loved:

• 15-01-2015 7:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭

Having been working through old PPVs ive been reminded of a few great feuds(and some I never knew existed :pac: )

Magnum TA vs Tully Blanchard: It's really unfortunate what happened to Magnum. He was fantastic. Blanchard was a true bastard and they worked great together. Check out their 'I Quit' cage match. Very violent and ahead of its time.

Jake Roberts vs Randy Savage: Savage was close to his peak in popularity in 1991. Jake was the perfect guy to feud with him. WWE dropped the ball on this one big time. When Damien bit Savage, scared the ****e out of me as a kid :pac:

Sting vs Vader: These guys had a string of great matches from 91-93 or so. Vader was in his prime and pretty much the most dominant monster heel around. Quality ring work and good story telling. Highly recommended. Slamboree 1994 and Starcade 1992 being my favourites.

Diesel vs HBK: The WM11 match was decent, but the match that stands out to me is the Good Friends, Better Enemies match. Nash was out the door and he and Shawn made each other look a million bucks. Probably Nash's best match along with Bret at Survivor Series.

Jericho vs Dean Malenko: This was when people started to pay attention to Jericho. And Malenko is one of the finest technical wrestlers you'll ever see. Really all their matches were excellent. Good story telling too. Slamboree 1998 would be my pick.

Owen Hart vs Stone Cold: Obviously the Summerslam match is infamous, but they had a string of good matches and a lot of quality segments too.

Val Venis vs Goldust: I totally forgot about this feud in 1997. This was Goldy at his best back then.

DDP vs Raven: DDP was breaking out as a top guy and this was probably Raven at his peak in WcW. Spring Stampede 1998 was a quality match. Check out the triple threat at Uncensored 1998 along with a certain Chris Benoit. Raven's feud with Saturn that same year was really good too.

DDP vs Savage: Reinvented Savage, made DDP a legit main eventer. Quality.

HHH/Stephanie vs Jericho: The RAW where Jericho wins the belt is a classic RAW. The Fully Loaded match was great. Established Jericho as a top guy and HHH could do no wrong in 2000.

HHH vs Kurt Angle: Enjoyed the love triangle angle they had going. Hunter taking the piss out of Angle was always class.

Kurt Angle vs Stone Cold: Hilarious backstage segments and this was the feud that made Angle a legit main eventer imo. The Summerslam match was awesome, and the payoff at Unforgiven was great. Definite highlight of the Invasion angle.

Jericho vs the Rock: The feud that finally got Jericho to a top position. All their matches were great and they always had strong promos.

Kurt Angle vs Edge: Loved this feud in 2002, Edge humiliating Angle week after week was great TV. The 'You suck' chants started here.

Jericho vs Christian: Proof you don't need to be in the main event to have a great feud. They had a string of good matches and I really enjoyed both guys here.

CM Punk vs Samoa Joe: For my money, Punk's best work was against Joe. These two just had a chemistry like few others and it gets overlooked among some of the other more high profile feuds Punk has had.

Mick Foley vs Randy Orton: The feud that made Randy Orton. The Backlash match is one of my personal favourites of the last 10-12 years. Randy earned his stripes that night.

Trish vs Mickie James: Probably my favourite womens feud and the WM22 match was awesome, despite the blown finish. Mickie played her role to perfection :pac:

MVP vs Matt Hardy: Loved this feud. MVP was tremendous and their contests trying to out-do each other every week was great TV.

Chris Jericho vs HBK: The best work of Jericho's career. Period. The Unforgiven match and the ladder match at No Mercy were great, but literally every segment they had was must see TV.

Rhodes Brothers vs The Shield/Authority: Shame this was so short, it was great. Goldust had a tremendous match with Randy Orton when NO ONE thought Goldust had that kind of match in him anymore. Anti-Authority Cody was great too, really thought he could break through the night they won the tag team titles, but it just fizzled out. Ball dropped, but still a really good feud imo.

What are some of yours?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

First of all, cheers for the recommendations. The WCW stuff will go on me Network list.

Eddie Guerrero vs Batista in 2005 was cut short due to Eddie's untimely passing, but it was top-notch for what went, even a fitting send-off to Guerrero as the professional wrestler. The No Mercy 2005 WHC match being the only entry into, what I assume, was meant to be a bigger story.

The constant teasing of Eddie reforming or duping Batista was played to perfection for this viewer, and the oddly exaggerated, yet paradoxically subtle work done by Guerrero positioned Batista back into the more reactive, smooth-man role that endeared Batista to the crowd originally; I feel the sometimes unifit, all-purpose WWE model for main-eventers of drawn-out talking, with specific and uniform beats, had seen a portion of the audience's goodwill toward The Animal burn out as the 'E rolled into Winter.

Goofing out over Eddie Guerrero, sorry, but since the WWE network came to our shores legit, I've been filling in the gaps in my Guerrero catalogue. The guy was just everything, I'm never not flabbergasted.

The WM20 Angle/Eddie feud was bliss too. Angle comes this sort of amalgamation of his previous characters to that point: the moral crusader/hypocrite and the wrestling machine. Eddie, of course, was right in the middle of his 'recovering addict' arc. Gels perfect. Especially the last few moments of the match in question. Having known the finish for 10+ years, yet not seeing before in full for some reason, I went flat-out giddy. Just watch Angle and Eddie's faces as the come into the last 3 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Owen Hart vs HBK. Awesome matches, and Owen was portrayed as a legit threat, especially after his enziguri left Shawn unconscious.

Stone Cold vs Savio Vega. Again, awesome matches, and helped Stone Cold transition from the Ringmaster gimmick.

Kane vs Mankind.

Goldust vs Razor Ramon, and Goldust vs Ahmed Johnson. Goldust was an awesome character back then.

Sid vs HBK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Sting vs Vampiro was always one of my favourites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭BohsJohnny

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Magnum TA vs Tully Blanchard: It's really unfortunate what happened to Magnum. He was fantastic. Blanchard was a true bastard and they worked great together. Check out their 'I Quit' cage match. Very violent and ahead of its time.

Nice idea but i really wouldn't call that feud forgotten or under-rated a lot of people i know elsewhere online rank that match as their favorite of all time and WWE has even highlighted it a good bit putting it on multiple DVDs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Raf32 wrote: »

Jaysus :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

WCW at that time was such a mess.

Sting came back from a long injury layoff with big expectations. First match back was a four way that DDP won the title in.

Sting then wins the title in the first match on Nitro and loses it in the main event again to DDP.

I assume Russo had control at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Raf32 wrote: »

Is that the one where they had an "inferno match" and there was the flamethrower off the scaffolding (with the clear as day stunt man) - that was a mess of a feud!
    Moneymaker wrote: »
    Jericho vs Dean Malenko: This was when people started to pay attention to Jericho. And Malenko is one of the finest technical wrestlers you'll ever see. Really all their matches were excellent. Good story telling too. Slamboree 1998 would be my pick.

Bloody loved this feud, Jericho berating him every week, and the cruiserweight gauntlet style match wich Jericho commentating was unreal! (thats the one where malenko dressed up as....was it psychosis?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Edge vs Matt Hardy was awesome especially as it was real mostly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Edge vs Matt Hardy was awesome especially as it was real mostly

The Summerslam match and some of Hardys promos went too far. Both of those killed the feud dead imo.

It did help launch Edge as a real dickhead heel though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Is that the one where they had an "inferno match" and there was the flamethrower off the scaffolding (with the clear as day stunt man) - that was a mess of a feud!

Bloody loved this feud, Jericho berating him every week, and the cruiserweight gauntlet style match wich Jericho commentating was unreal! (thats the one where malenko dressed up as....was it psychosis?)

Yeah it was called "Human Torch" match. They cut the lights and then someone just appeared on screen on fire and then took a stunt dive into crash pads. Awful, awful.

Vampiro followed this abomination with another awful gimmick "Graveyard" match against the KISS Demon the month after at Bash at the Beach.

Speaking of WCW, Savage and DDP had a good feud; shame the Bret vs Goldberg feud never really got going as Bret I think was injured, then Owen died and then when he came back Russo was booking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Ageyev wrote: »
    Yeah it was called "Human Torch" match. They cut the lights and then someone just appeared on screen on fire and then took a stunt dive into crash pads. Awful, awful.

Vampiro followed this abomination with another awful gimmick "Graveyard" match against the KISS Demon the month after at Bash at the Beach.

Bray Wyatt wishes he had a singles feud this good. I owe Raf32 an apology.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Uncle Walt

One of my all time favorite feuds will always be HHH/Austin vs Jericho/Benoit from early 2001.. This also included whats possibly my all time favorite Raw match. It was a pity both Benoit and HHH got injured when they did, because i always imagined that the Invasion angle would've been so completely different with Jericho/Benoit leading WCW/ECW and HHH/Austin and WWF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Mr.Saturn wrote: »

The WM20 Angle/Eddie feud was bliss too. Angle comes this sort of amalgamation of his previous characters to that point: the moral crusader/hypocrite and the wrestling machine. Eddie, of course, was right in the middle of his 'recovering addict' arc. Gels perfect. Especially the last few moments of the match in question. Having known the finish for 10+ years, yet not seeing before in full for some reason, I went flat-out giddy. Just watch Angle and Eddie's faces as the come into the last 3 minutes.

Off topic, but great call. Just watched it again. WOW.

I'd like to add Angle/Benoit- Starting with X-7, which told a great story, finishing at Judgement Day with that 2 out of 3 falls match, some of the best ring work i have ever seen.

I'd also like to agree with Uncle Walt above me- Benoit/Jericho in 2000/01. Two men capable of giving a masterclass any day, i'm especially fond of their bout at Summerslam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Scott Steiner-Test 2003. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Goldust v Piper was great. Goldie is popular in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

Right to Censor v Too Cool.

I loved Right to Censor!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Big show vs big boss man. Bah gawd boss man was a sadistic son of a bitch ! Brilliantly summed up the madness of that era.

HBK vs Bulldog. Had a great series of matches, I was convinced Bulldog would become champ. Summer of 96, some memories!

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

Raven vs D'Lo Browns feud on Sunday Night Heat and Stevie Richards with Victoria I'll Show You You'll See Stevie Night Heat gimmick. Raven's initial flock run in WCW and break up he had a couple of good matches with Jericho which could have made a good feud if given legs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Crash Holly vs The Mean Street Possee for the hardcore title provided me with weeks of entertainment, really enjoyed that 24/7 run.

MVP vs Matt Hardy

Is was around this time that I thought MVP was going to be the next big star in WWE.

Val venis vs kai en tai there i said it,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Jericho vs Rey in 2009 was really good.

Chavo vs Eddie in WcW was a fun feud.

Rick Rude vs Ricky Steamboat in 1992.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    HBK vs Bulldog. Had a great series of matches, I was convinced Bulldog would become champ. Summer of 96, some memories!

Same especially at KOTR 96 when Perfect was announced as the special guest ref I was convinced Bulldog was going to become champion!

Loughc wrote: »
    Same especially at KOTR 96 when Perfect was announced as the special guest ref I was convinced Bulldog was going to become champion!

Ya, and Beware of Dog, when both sets of shoulders were counted down after Shawn's German Suplex. I felt Davey was the most credible threat to Shawn's reign at that time (apart from when he faced Vader at Summerslam)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Ya, and Beware of Dog, when both sets of shoulders were counted down after Shawn's German Suplex

To this day I'm still convinced Bulldog got his right shoulder up of the mat about an inch at 2 and a half.

I felt Davey was the most credible threat to Shawn's reign at that time (apart from when he faced Vader at Summerslam)

Shawn should have cleanly jobbed to Vader, The WWF version of Vader never recovered from that mess of a over booked finish at Summerslam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,895 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Jake The Snake vs Rick The Model

When I was younger I loved it leading to probably the worst WM match of all time and I loved that even more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

CM Punk vs. Daniel Bryan. I feel that the 2 of them only scratched the surface of what they could have done on the big stage when they had their series of matches back in 2012. Great athleticism.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Totally forgot about some of The Kings feuds like Vs Jake The Snake for example

Loughc wrote: »
    To this day I'm still convinced Bulldog got his right shoulder up of the mat about an inch at 2 and a half.

Shawn should have cleanly jobbed to Vader, The WWF version of Vader never recovered from that mess of a over booked finish at Summerslam.

Agree with both!

Vader should have gone on a monster run. The rematch later down the line would have been money. Shawn legit kicked Vader in the head while on the ground in this match, after a botched high spot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Skip vs Barry Horowitz. :)

Advertisement