Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pick Your Poison # 20 Favourite Money in the Bank Winner

Options
  • 13-01-2015 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭

Once the kick off to WrestleMania, now a PPV in it's own right, Money in the Bank has propelled the careers of many superstars in WWE. I'm asking tonight, who is your favourite Mr Money In The Bank. There's no criteria really, maybe you liked a particular cash-in, perhaps you liked how he won the briefcase in the first place or maybe you enjoyed how it tweaked a wrestlers character. Drop a line or two and we'll hopefully get a bit of discussion going.
    Edge

tumblr_lonjnqYxvC1qkfd1k.jpg

The first ever winner became known as the Ultimate Opportunist when he cashed in on a vunerable John Cena at the New Years Revolution PPV and shocked the world. It really set the trend for cash-ins and finally made Edge a major player in WWE.

Rob Van Dam

438581555_small.jpg

Mr. Monday Night became Mr. Money In The Bank at WrestleMania 22 much to the delight of the fans. Instead of a surprise cash-in, RVD elected to give the champion John Cena prior notice of his intentions. He went on to win the WWE Title in an infamous match at the notorious ECW One Night Stand PPV in New York City in front of a rabid crowd.

Mr. Kennedy

kennedbriefcase.jpg

The ultimate case (excuse the pun) of what could have been. Kennedy never even got to cash in in his briefcase as an injury, which later turned out to be nothing serious, sidelined him. He held the case for only 36 days before dropping it in a match against that man Edge.

CM Punk

5c3199mb9g.jpg

The Straight Edge superstar CM Punk is the only man to win two Money in the Bank matches in history, back to back at WrestleMania no less. He used them to claim the World Heavyweight Championship from Edge in 2008, and Jeff Hardy in 2009, turning heel in the process.

Jack Swagger

23018.jpg

The All-American American shocked the world at WrestleMania 26 when he toppled 9 other superstars at the Grandaddy of them All. With a quick turnaround only a couple of days later , Swagger cashed in on a prone Chris Jericho on Smackdown to become World Heavyweight Champion.

Kane

KaneBank.jpeg

In the summer of 2010, MITB got its own PPV and had separate matches for each brand's title. Kane made history by becoming the first man to cash in his contract on the same night he won it, besting Rey Mysterio for the World Heavyweight Championship.

The Miz

15322984.jpg

Miz's case was one at the inaugural MITB PPV on the Raw side of things. He cashed in on then champion Randy Orton and went on to main event WrestleMania against John Cena with the Rock as Special Guest Enforcer. Also acquired Alex Riley as his personal assistant during this run.

Daniel Bryan

tumblr_inline_nay025U9h21socq48.jpg

In 2011 riginally Bryan cashed in title shot for a World Heavyweight Championship match against Mark Henry after an attack by Big Show and won. However, SmackDown General Manager Theodore Long nullified the cash-in match, as Henry was not medically cleared to compete. Bryan defeated Show after an attack by Henry to win the championship after Show defeated Henry in a Chairs match to become champion.

Alberto Del Rio

20110717_mitb_delrio4_l.jpg

Senor Dinero en el Banco won the Red case and cashed in at Summerslam 2011 in controversial circumstances. Del Rio defeated CM Punk with a Step-up enzuigiri to win the championship after Punk defeated John Cena to become undisputed champion and then was attacked by Kevin Nash.

Dolph Ziggler

Dolph-Ziggler-Werewolf-Bar-Mitzvah.jpg

In perhaps the most memorable and certainly loudest cash-ins in history, Dolph Ziggler won the World Heavyweight Title from Alberto Del Rio in front of an ultra rowdy post-WrestleMania crowd in the Izod Center in New Jersey.

John Cena

tumblr_m78gtaPaqj1rqoq0po1_500.jpg

Became the first man to fail to win the Championship in his cash in match despite winning his match vs CM Punk. He failed to win the title due to championships not being able to change hands on count-outs or disqualifications.

Damien Sandow

8f684c99770dc74e696cd91ae8c0f82c.jpg?itok=oK0bsACe

The Intellectual Saviour of the Masses was an entertaining MITB holder and even had a custom leather bound case made up for his reign. He feuded with former partner Cody Rhodes for ownership of same but eventually fell to John Cena, becoming the first man to lose his cash in match.

Randy Orton

ortonmitb2013.jpg

Culminating in one of the most cunning plans coming off Orton defeated Daniel Bryan after a Pedigree from Triple H (who was special guest referee) to win the championship after Bryan had defeated John Cena cleanly in a gruelling match to become champion. This started the Authority angle that we still see today

Seth Rollins

6ba595630cb34f611d7617210c3e9114_crop_north.jpg?w=630&h=420&q=75

The current Mr Money In the Bank and Future of the WWE is on the run of his career as we speak. He has bested his former Shield brother DEan Ambrose while cosying up to the Authority and even has acquired his own private security detail. He might not even have to use his shot as he has a title match at Royal Rumble against Brock Lesnar and John Cena. time will tell....

Best Mr Money In The Bank 36 votes

Edge
    0% 0 votes
    Rob Van Dam
    47% 17 votes
    Mr. Kennedy
    13% 5 votes
    CM Punk
    0% 0 votes
    Jack Swagger
    8% 3 votes
    Kane
    0% 0 votes
    The Miz
    2% 1 vote
    Alberto Del Rio
    11% 4 votes
    Daniel Bryan
    0% 0 votes
    Dolph Ziggler
    5% 2 votes
    John Cena
    11% 4 votes
    Damien Sandow
    0% 0 votes
    Randy Orton
    0% 0 votes
    Seth Rollins
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,977 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

RVD because it gave us the best pay off out of all the winners.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

That was surreal, I'll never tire of seeing that. The crowd were unreal and, to be fair, Cena played it to perfection. Surreal even now seeing it all go down in the Hammerstein in front of those mental cases.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Voted Edge. His first cash in is one of my favourite wrestling moments ever.

RVD a close second.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Voted for CM Punk, first and only wrestler to win it back to back.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Voted Edge. His first cash in is one of my favourite wrestling moments ever.

RVD a close second.

Yeah I liked Edge having the case as it really gave him that gimmick he needed to break on in. The Ultimate Opportunist was a great moniker and complimented the Rated R stuff brilliantly. Worked again then when he stole it on Kennedy later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Bryan. His career was going nowhere after a decent start in WWE. He has been confined to appearing in dark matches before SD and hadn't appeared on ppv since the 2011 Rumble

His MITB win set up his heel title run, which was great (and the start of the yes chants). His losing that same said title in 18 seconds set us on a journey that eventually culminated 2 years later at the Superdome in New Orleans.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Gotta be Edge. He set the standard and it hasn't been topped since. It made him a top guy and he stayed a top guy.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Gotta be Edge. He set the standard and it hasn't been topped since. It made him a top guy and he stayed a top guy.

Hard to argue with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Edge for me because of what Moneymaker said, but CM Punk had the best post cash-in feud.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Edge for me too , his character suited the money in the bank the most, the rest kind of changed to character to suit it not Edge though he'used it as his jump start and built it into his already horrible evil sneaky character

• Advertisement

Edge way out in front with 55% of the vote.

Miz and RVD tied for 2nd spot.

Would have thought Seth Rollins would have registered a vote or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Cheese Wagstaff

Boom, a vote for the "Future of the WWE" & the "architect" of The Shield.

I loved Edge, and he set the standard for MITB to be honest. Much like Edge, Rollins needed something to justify his cocky persona. The MITB suits him perfectly (arguably more prestige to hold the case for a long time than a championship that isn't the WWE title), and provided the cash-in is handled well (not a guarantee by any means), it could be the dawning of the Rollins era.

Edge was arguably a biggish player, until MITB sent him into overdrive. Rollins has used the case to inflate his status immeasurably from where he was before he had it (the least member of the Shield in a lot of people's eyes). I find it hard to see him going back down from where he is now even after he cashes in. The sky truly is the limit for him now, as he has the profile which was aided in no small part thanks to the briefcase.

The fact that there is only one case for one title now is a pretty important factor too in fairness. The case is more important now since the belts merged.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

The way RVD won his cash in match just shades it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Ziggler gets my vote.

Edge was a very close second, and it will never be forgotten, but nothing compared to that amazing pop Ziggler got. For weeks on end we kept getting Ziggler chant after Ziggler chant. By letting it build for so long it just made that release so much better. Say what you will about everything after the cash-in, but nothing will ever beat that moment for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Ziggler gets my vote.

Edge was a very close second, and it will never be forgotten, but nothing compared to that amazing pop Ziggler got. For weeks on end we kept getting Ziggler chant after Ziggler chant. By letting it build for so long it just made that release so much better. Say what you will about everything after the cash-in, but nothing will ever beat that moment for me.

I think Edges was a different kind of cash in. The shock of him cashing in like that was just perfect and it made him a star and made MITB what it is today. Zigglers run will always fail in my eyes for the aftermath of his Cash in.

That being said, it was a great cash in and i marked out big for Dolph. .

Ziggler gets my vote.

I'm really curious as to the reaction Seth gets.

If it happens at the Rumble, Philly crowd will react similar to Ziggler's cash in imo.

Hell I expect Rollins to get babyface reactions during the match even.

I'm really curious as to the reaction Seth gets.

If it happens at the Rumble, Philly crowd will react similar to Ziggler's cash in imo.

Hell I expect Rollins to get babyface reactions during the match even.

Agreed 100%. If he cashes in at the Rumble or 'Mania, he will get the biggest pop in years. I think it'll surpass Zigglers pop

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Agreed 100%. If he cashes in at the Rumble or 'Mania, he will get the biggest pop in years. I think it'll surpass Zigglers pop

I dont think so, mainly because hes such a better heel than Ziggler. Depends on where teh crowd is.

Smark crowd yes, regular WWE crowd, Probably not

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I dont think so, mainly because hes such a better heel than Ziggler. Depends on where teh crowd is.

Smark crowd yes, regular WWE crowd, Probably not

It depends who he cashes in on too. Cena or Reigns he'll get an Austin level pop. DB, he'd have nuclear heat for life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

It depends who he cashes in on too. Cena or Reigns he'll get an Austin level pop. DB, he'd have nuclear heat for life.

Sure cashing in on DB would be great . It would propel him to heelish levels we haven't seen in a long time.

When Cm Punk cashed in Hardy and there feud afterwards. I hated Punk, i really did. When he came out dressed as Hardy as well was gas.

Lads, come clean... who voted for Kane?

:o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Edge

It was a lasting breakthrough moment that he deserved and took full advantage of.

None of the rest did that.

Genuinely think Rollins having MITB has meant very little to him rising up the card as the WWE champion was nowhere to be seen for most of his time as MITB holder.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Omackeral wrote: »
    Lads, come clean... who voted for Kane?

:o
    Surprising it's not me seeing as I seem to be one of his only fans left :pac:

Which why I dream of him cashing in on Bryan at Wrestlemania and winning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,932 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Ziggler. I still watch that clip with ridiculous regularity

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I went with Punk.

Was tough, as I had great memories of Edge being the first, and of his Cash in. However, the fact Punk won it back to back, twice, means he takes it for me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Daniel Bryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,313 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I had about a decade where I became a sort of lapsed fan, so that is probably effecting my vote.

Advertisement