Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When did Battlestar Galactica loose the plot?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Mid season 4. The religious cult thing just went nowhere.

The main question heading for the finale are what is Starbuck and where did she come from, what's the deal with the opera house, and the outstanding one from the pilot, how the hell did Balthar get off Earth.

There's no satisfactory answer to any of them.

I loved the show, one of the best I've ever watched, but I was really underwhelmed by the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

MOH wrote: »
    how the hell did Balthar get off Earth.

Wasn't there a scene where he talked himself onto a transport ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,497 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Wasn't there a scene where he talked himself onto a transport ?

He didn't have to, Boomer recognised him in the crowd and Helo decided to let him have his place cos he was an important scientist...vital for the future of the race etc etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 167 ✭✭promethius42

I felt the entire thing was brilliant, fair enough the religious parts dragged on but overall I liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

i think the writers admitted along the line that the show was made up season to season, so having watched it when it aired, later on DVD with my dad and now on DVD again with my girlfriend, you can kind of see where some ideas changed.

i.e. Head six is very much a Cylon chip in season one and is possibly the same six that beats up Sharon and Starbuck on Caprica. in season 2, the writers decided to separate head six from Caprica six.

they introduced the Pegasus because that's what the original series did but never really had a plan for it, so it just sat there for 3/4 of a season before blowing up.

the final five. these were never originally planned to by Cylons, hence why they had to work around Tyroll having a son with Cally so that Hera would be more important. hey, presto! she frakked Costanza!

i.e. Head six is very much a Cylon chip in season one and is possibly the same six that beats up Sharon and Starbuck on Caprica. in season 2, the writers decided to separate head six from Caprica six.

Completely agree with you here. The way Head Six didn't seem to give a frak when the Olympic Carrier was destroyed compared to the way she cried when she saw one Cylon being interogated on Pegasus...

They definitely seemed to be leaning heavily towards her being a Cylon in the first two seasons (hell even telling Baltar to get a Nuke from Adama and give it to that other 6 to blow up that ship and show the Cylons to New Caprica)
    they introduced the Pegasus because that's what the original series did but never really had a plan for it, so it just sat there for 3/4 of a season before blowing up.

This I am not so sure about, I think Pegasus was always temporary, in the same way New Caprica was always going to be.
    the final five. these were never originally planned to by Cylons, hence why they had to work around Tyroll having a son with Cally so that Hera would be more important. hey, presto! she frakked Costanza!

Yeah, for sure.

I don't blame them too much for that though, I don't think most shows know their arcs (never mind the intricate details) more than a season ahead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Moore freely admits to making the show up as he went along. I don't think he planned ahead at all, not even by a season.

Moore freely admits to making the show up as he went along. I don't think he planned ahead at all, not even by a season.

Yeah, I think thats well known at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,983 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

and thus from season 1 it went down hill bravo moore, you served us well not going through a rewatch now season 3, 4 and 5 or just a slog

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

In fairness it is probably nigh on impossible to write a 'watertight' story arc for a US television series. J. Michael Straczynski tried to do so with Babylon 5 and twice he was forced to amend it due to commercial reasons; first with the replacement of Michael O'Hare by Bruce Boxleitner in season two and more significantly when he thought that the series was going to be cancelled after the forth season, resulting in the closing off of the main story lines and when the series was renewed at the last minute for a fifth season, they essentially had to create new plot lines.

A series can be cancelled at any point, even before the end of a season, although if it does this sometimes gives the writers some time to give the audience a (often messy) resolution, such as that in the US version of Life on Mars. Or it can be extended, which can cause problems to a story arc as it can cause a painful drawing out of the principle arc and/or the introduction of new plot lines. And of course, to keep ratings up, and avoid cancellation, new elements, characters or plot lines sometimes need to be parachuted in; with Star Trek Voyager's introduction of Jeri Ryan or the Xindi arc in Star Trek Enterprise being cases in point.

And of course sometimes a story arc has to be amended whenever the actor can no longer play the part (Lucy Lawless wanted to leave BSG and in Lost Michelle Rodriguez and Cynthia Watros were essentially fired after a drink driving incident). I believe these are called 'trap doors' in the business.

My understanding of both BSG and Lost is that they both had very rough story arcs developed at the start. Some elements were always planned (the first scene in the pilot and final scene in the finale with Jack Shephard's eyes opening/closing respectively was always planned), but much of it was made up on a season-to-season basis.

While I still consider it an excellent series to the end, BSG handled this a bit messily, TBH. Number Seven and the Final Five were just ways of explaining the unseen Cylon models that we'd been promised. Then of course they had to tie up loose ends where it came to the Cylons being unable to reproduce; ergo Caprica Six's miscarriage and Tyrol's cuckolding. Deus ex machina was employed extensively too in both BSG and Lost to messily tie up loose ends. Overall, it cannot be denied that BSG was possibly even worse than Lost in this, with some devices (most notably the abandonment of technology for some bizarre reason) making little or no sense - at least Lost created a 'purgatory' arc that tied up nicely, to distract people from the fact that much of the principle arc made no sense.

Personally, I think this occurred to BSG in Season three with the introduction of the Final Five, the writing out of D'Anna Biers and, I suspect, with the New Caprica and Pegasus arcs wrapped up the writers were at a loss as to what to do next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Hopefully it hasn't lost the plot as I'm considering starting to watch it. I have the whole series on Blu-Ray!

Advertisement