Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[PR] Cullen concern over Ryanair landings

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Ryanair sues Pilots...
    The pilots' claim that the airline has used financial incentives and penalties to encourage employees to waive their rights.
    Plenty of companies don't allow unions (and with good reason imo). Hardly a damning indictment.

Ryanair sues Irish Airline Pilots Association
    The Irish low-cost airline Ryanair has launched court proceedings against the Irish Airline Pilots' Union (IALPA) in response to what it called "an organized campaign of harassment and intimidation" of pilots by the union.
    That almost sounds like Ryanair protecting its staff from harassment.

Ryanair v Disabled Passengers
    The Court of Appeal has partially overturned a disability discrimination ruling against Ryanair. The no-frills airline was discriminating, the judges agreed, but so was Stansted Airport, and both airline and airport must share the consequent liability.
    No comment neccessary there.

Ryanair v Cabin Crew
    Vanessa Redmond was fired in July last year after a passenger complained she had blocked off rows of seats and fallen asleep while reading a novel on a Dublin to Durham flight.
    Oooh the bastards, sacking the poor girl just because she went to sleep on duty, mid-flight, while she was responsible for the safety and well-being of hundreds of people.

Ryanair v Passengers
    Jane O'Keeffe, a mother of two from Dublin, had sued Ryanair because she claimed they had reneged on a commitment made to her in 1988 of free flights for life.
    Yes, she was a truly valuable passenger.

Ryanair sues The British Government
    He accused the Department for Transport - which banned hand luggage as part of security precautions, causing chaos at Britain's airports - of creating a "shambles" which "handed victory to the extremists".
    He had a point.

Ryanair sues The French Government
    Ryanair claims that the French are breaking European laws on free movement of labor and services to discourage foreign airlines from setting up in France
    And another one there.

Ryanair sues The Irish Government Aviation Regulator
    The introduction of slot co-ordination will limit competition and drive up prices. Dublin Airport is a two runway airport which caters for just 20M passengers p.a. and there is ample room for growth. With just one runway, London Gatwick presently caters for twice as many - 40M passengers p.a.
    I object to the Irish love of beauracracy too.

Ryanair sued by Swedish Prime Minister
    That country's Prime Minister Goran Persson and erstwhile Foreign Minister Laila Freivalds have sued the bolshy airline for using their faces in a newspaper advertisement without permission
    lol

Ryanair sues Website campaigner
    There is a good chance that you will get very cheaply to where you want to go with no problems. But a proportion of passengers can find themselves in a situation where they are left helpless and/or have to pay a lot of money. Ryanair is often solely in control of the factors that can create such a situation.
    Some begrudger sets up a website making libelous accusations and didn't expect to get sued?

Ryanair v The World and it's Mother
    Same as the previous one.
    Enough for you???

Google - News - type 'Ryanair', copy and paste the links without even reading the stories. You sure prooved something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Thargy

I asserted that "O'Leary LIVES in the courts. Mostly sueing or being sued by his own employees", to which you responded "....it has been 'pointed out' but not supported with any evidence".

I posted 11 examples of court cases Ryanair has been involved in - a small but representative sample.
    I thereby refuted your assertion that Ryanairs litigiousness is 'not supported with any evidence'. QED

I didn't bother reading your last posting.
    Your personal opinions on the cases are of no particular interest in a debate on Ryanairs abysmal safety culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Thargy, can you tone things down a little.
    Gurgle wrote:
    Ryanair sues Irish Airline Pilots Association

That almost sounds like Ryanair protecting its staff from harassment.
    The judge said the complete opposite - Ryanair was harrassing its staff and the IALPA.

What'd I say? What'd I say?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Victor wrote:
    The judge said the complete opposite - Ryanair was harrassing its staff and the IALPA.
    I can't read all of that story at KeepMedia. The abstract linked said that the IALPA were harassing Ryanair pilots for not being in their union.

Can you link to it elsewhere?
    Thargy wrote:
    I asserted that "O'Leary LIVES in the courts. Mostly sueing or being sued by his own employees"...I posted 11 examples of court cases Ryanair has been involved in
    Of which one case was about Ryanair Vs Staff, the circumstances of which are strongly on Ryanair's side.
    Thargy wrote:
    I didn't bother reading your last posting.
    Oh come on, you didn't even bother reading your own links, I hardly thought you were reading my posts.
    Thargy wrote:
    Your personal opinions on the cases are of no particular interest in a debate on Ryanairs abysmal safety culture.
    Yes truly abysmal: Threating to demote pilots who take chances with safety, sacking stewardesses who go to sleep on the job, flying the newest fleet in Europe, 22 years flying a couple of hundred million customers and no accidents.

But thats just my personal opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭steve-o

Gurgle wrote:
    Threating to demote pilots who take chances with safety, sacking stewardesses who go to sleep on the job
    There have been several serious incidents where crew have exercised poor judgement. Maybe the company should be trying to understand why. Some people believe that there are geniune problems at Ryanair and that erratic rostering is an issue. Tired crew make bad decisions. Just because they've never had a serious accident doesn't mean that warning signs should be ignored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Gurgle wrote:
    I can't read all of that story at KeepMedia. The abstract linked said that the IALPA were harassing Ryanair pilots for not being in their union.

That was Ryanair's assertion and the reason they took IALPA to court.

The judge ruled in favour of IALPA and found the exact opposite to be the case. He accused senior Ryanair management of lying to the court under oath, said that Ryanair management was oppressive and tyrannical, and that the only evidence of bullying was from Ryanair itself. IALPA were awarded all costs. Ryanair left court with their tail between their legs. All this is contained in Judge Smyth's written judgement which you'll find with a quick search.

Gurgle, you need to take your head out of the sand. Nothing worse than trying to argue with someone who obviously doesn't know what they're talking about.

Gurgle, you need to take your head out of the sand.
    Hehehe....there's one on every bulletin board.
    Even his Avatar screams TROLL!!!!!

He pontificates to us on his personal views about Ryanairs court battles, but he neglects to mention the small but crucial matter of what the Judge and Jury thought of them.....i.e. that they were universally without merit and doomed to failure.

Ryanair sues Pilots (and lost)
    Ryanair sues Irish Airline Pilots Association (and lost)
    Ryanair v Disabled Passengers (and lost)
    Ryanair v Cabin Crew (and lost)
    Ryanair v Passengers (and lost)
    Ryanair sues The British Government (and faded away)
    Ryanair sues The French Government (no result)
    Ryanair sues The Irish Government Aviation Regulator (bets still being taken)
    Ryanair sued by Swedish Prime Minister (no result yet)
    Ryanair sues Website campaigner (and lost)
    Ryanair v The World and it's Mother (still losing)

But hey....to Gurgle, these are mere details....he KNOWS they SHOULD'VE won.

Get your head out of the sand indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

You forgot this case:
    Ryanair vs its millionth passenger
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2002/0228/ryanair.html
    and its verdict
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2002/0619/ryanair.html

This really tells you every you need to know about Ryanair. O'Leary clearly ignored counsel to take this unwinnable case to court. It didn't take the judgement of Solomon to figure out that Ryanair were as far in the wrong as anyone could be. After the verdict, the €67,500 payout and the international press for the company portraying them as unfair, greedy, idiotic bullies, management declared they were very happy with the result.

O'Leary got something right with his airline model, so now he has decided his judgement is infallible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Pulling this thread from history. I realised I had a video on my computer of a Ryanair flight I was on doing a very heavy rough and fast landing at Farranfore airport. If people want it, I'll upload.

Edit: Actually its a really cool vid as well as the sun was in the right place and I could track the shadow of the plane on the ground for a bit :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement