Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foggy glasses problem

Options
  • 02-12-2014 5:13pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Got a new pair of prescription sunglasses for cycling recently, and while they are the bees knees descending and on the flat, they fog up so much on climbing that they leave me pretty much blind. Looking at getting a bottle of muc off anti-fog though reviews seem mixed. Any advice on how others deal with this problem would be a great help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rua_ri

I Wash my glasses and then apply a very thin layer of liquid soap on the inside of the lens.
    I apply it with a tissue, the slighest touch is all i use.
    Seems to work for me.

I have heard of rally drivers using shampoo in a similar way for the inside of the windscreen.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Yarisbob

My glasses arent cycling specific and I have the same trouble with fog. I found that wiping horizontally with a soft cloth dipped in shower gel on the inside of the lenses works a treat for me. Its only to create a light film but this seems to hold the fog back....

Disadvantage is night time where oncoming lights turn into all manner of rainbows and glare which is not good !!

BTW what sort of glasses did you go for as I'm in the market for a pair myself...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Toothpaste rubbed on the glass and washed off with cold water.

Old snowboarding trick :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Toothpaste rubbed on the glass

This may matte acrylic lenses - beware.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

dunno if the principle would work here but scuba divers spit on the glass in their masks to prevent fogging. worked for me

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

dunno if the principle would work here but scuba divers spit on the glass in their masks to prevent fogging. worked for me

An old, but reliable trick. Can be done anywhere too. Just rinse off the spit ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Yarisbob wrote: »
    BTW what sort of glasses did you go for as I'm in the market for a pair myself...!

I picked up a pair of prescription sports sunglasses in specsavers when I was changing my regular glasses. They seem great for eliminating low side-on sunlight which was my main issue, though also kill quite a bit of peripheral vision in the process. Other minor downside is they don't fold flat, so would be slightly bulkier than regular specs if stowed in a jacket pocket. Cheap and cheerful Chinese frames, €210 all in with prescription lenses. If I can get the fog thing sorted, I'll be well pleased with them.

Will be trying a bit of liquid soap tomorrow.

330321.JPG

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Does the liquid soap/shampoo not leave a smeary surface? That sends light everywhere in the dark? I find after washing my glasses they fog up less the first time out but after that it's back to normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

ror_74 wrote: »
    Toothpaste rubbed on the glass and washed off with cold water.

Old snowboarding trick :)

Old scuba driving trick actually!
    Pedant runs away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

ROK ON wrote: »
    Old scuba driving trick actually!
    Pedant runs away.

It works for both !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

Cut a spud in half and smear the lens.

Old motorbiking trick*