Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over training

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭tailendcharlie

Hi Ho wrote: »
    No, this won't help.
    "how long should i take off to recovery" - as long as it takes I'd suggest.
    You have identified all the symptoms so knock things back until they resolve. That doesn't mean stopping altogether, but reducing things significantly, especially intensity.
    It sounds like you could do with a mental break also.
    When you do get your form back be sure to take recovery periods every third or fourth week to prevent yourself from digging yourself into a similar fatigue hole again.

Yeah i think i simply didn't have enough recovery weeks, no point in training hard unless you have recovery weeks, over training was bound to happen!!!

ROK ON wrote: »
    A three week break!!!

Nuts.

IMHO that is too short a break. I can think of very few other sports where the off-season is three weeks. I would give it at least twice that. Mentally you need a break as much as physically.
    I am not saying don't cycle at all, maybe commute on the bike taking it easy.
    10-12 hours this time of year - are you training for the Ras?

I was toying with the idea of the ras but i think i'm just going to leave it off till next year or the year after and just enjoy my racing this year, Ras training is just mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Hi All,

I'm pretty sure i have got myself into an over trained state, i have pretty much all of the symptoms, trouble sleeping, muscle pain, bit depressed for no reason, thirsty all the time, have had a sore throat for the past 3 weeks and other niggles which i can't seem to shake. So i'm 99% sure i've over trained, plus i did a mountain of training in October and November.

My question is how long should i take off to recovery and what should i be doing to actively help recovery?

Thanks in advance

What are you training for?

Next years road racing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭wav1

a couple of weeks visiting the chipper and pub regularly will have you as right as rain and raring to go again..taking the p..s I know but seriously when you are f....d from racing and training its the way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭12 sprocket

Hi All,

I'm pretty sure i have got myself into an over trained state, i have pretty much all of the symptoms, trouble sleeping, muscle pain, bit depressed for no reason, thirsty all the time, have had a sore throat for the past 3 weeks and other niggles which i can't seem to shake. So i'm 99% sure i've over trained, plus i did a mountain of training in October and November.

My question is how long should i take off to recovery and what should i be doing to actively help recovery?

Thanks in advance
    I hate to repeat myself again and sorry if its a bit annoying but if your symptoms are not clearing up you should eliminate any medical causes rather than think its just overtraining (which it may well be) see a sports doctor preferably.. then if you get the go ahead to train you can train away and get better. As I said in an earlier post any coach worth his salt would recommend a visit to a doc by you for correct diagnosis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

Wow 2 hour sessions on a turbo are pretty serious. I mainly follow trainer road 60 and 90 min sessions of more interval work (quality vs quantity) supported by a 3-4 hour low effort ride on Saturday or Sunday.
    I'd be interested to know what time people are putting in for a week as someone who moved to a3 last year and trying to balance training with family. I am working of average of 7-8 hours per week. Too much? Other half thinks so!!!

richieg wrote: »
    Wow 2 hour sessions on a turbo are pretty serious. I mainly follow trainer road 60 and 90 min sessions of more interval work (quality vs quantity) supported by a 3-4 hour low effort ride on Saturday or Sunday.
    I'd be interested to know what time people are putting in for a week as someone who moved to a3 last year and trying to balance training with family. I am working of average of 7-8 hours per week. Too much? Other half thinks so!!!

Its hard to know, you'll get the lads that just do hours and hours of training because they don't have many commitments and they do well on that, but then you get the lads with families who seem to be able to do well on a more quality v quantity approach.

Like if quantity was all it took then ironman athletes would be winning all triathlons, right? so there has to be some balance point where you can get away with less time and still get the same results. basically getting rid of the junk miles.

Up to this point i was doing between 9 and half hours to 12 hour with 15 and half hours being the biggest week which i wasn't able to manage in the end as i was just knackered. I was able to manage that sort of big week during the summer, but since the winter has come and the turbo came out it has just become so much more taxing on the mind and body.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Just my 2cents. All very subjective I know...

I've been a3 for two seasons now. Found a4 easy but have struggled at times to finish the tougher races in a3 near the pointy end. Last season i was competitive (I.e close to, or in, the points) maybe two or three times. I raced pretty much every weekend from feb to August and consider myself a very average (and honest! ;) a3 rider.

I do 8-10hrs a week during the winter. 1hr turbo Tues/Thursday, 4hr club spin on Sat and 2-3hrs in a small group or on my own Sunday. I'll also do 30mins if core on Monday and Wednesday - I've found this to be of great benefit.

I think if you are talented and are looking to move to a2 10-14hrs is okay. But if you're not competitive doing all those Hours you need to sit down and look at things more closely. Maybe with a coach.

If you're tired, irritable, run down etc ease off. Replace the turbo with a walk or gym for a week or two. Try to keep the weekly long spin at low intensity going though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭RockWerchter

Even if you're training for the Ras that's quite a high volume of training for this time of the year. Training is about progress and slowly building. If you can't manage 15 hours now, then that's you're max, (and enough to do the ras if you train and recover well) but you have to build up to your max not just hit it and not progress.

Advertisement