Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things to motivate you for next year cycling.

• 29-11-2014 6:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭

Thought I bring this up just as a matter of interest amongst other cyclists here what is your motivation for next year?

For me I missed a good bit of the racing season and did 5 races only and got 4 points in A4. I missed two other opportunities where points were on offer but failed at last hurdle to get them. So I was disappointed on those occasions and I am willing to do what it takes to win a race if possibe and get upgraded to A3 would be great.

Not being nominated for club racer of the year in our club is another factor for me to go back out and make sure it happens in 2015, and to become the best racer in our club. There isn't much between our racers abilitywise but not making the list makes me more determined to go back out and deliver. I just want to get better on a personal level.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,140 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Amprodude wrote: »
    I am willing to do what it takes to win a race
    Just a sec, I have Vino's number here somewhere...

Aims for next year:
    Increase my average speed.
    Go for group spins.
    Get up those hills a bit quicker

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

A few local sportives
    Wicklow 200
    La Marmotte
    and to try my hand at some club time trials

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭EmcD123

I want to get more coordinated on a bike,try not to have a crash every second time i get on the bike
    Also get my solo average speed up to 29-30kmph from 27kmph on the route i usually do,

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,534 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Ambition - get back to racing
    Motivation - probably the idea of a new bike to assist my endeavours:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

My target for next year: Get number of Boards posts up to 1000.
    Sorry guys. Bad news for you lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,067 ✭✭✭✭neris

Loose 2-3 stone and be getting in spins over 100km at least once a week & be pushing towards 200km every couple of weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Complete an Audax spin every month next year (only one left to do next week to meet this year's target).
    Ride the Paris Brest Paris 1200k audax in August.
    Complete the Red Line Red Lane 600k audax (I dropped out after 420k last July).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

neris wrote: »
    Loose 2-3 stone and be getting in spins over 100km at least once a week & be pushing towards 200km every couple of weeks

Come visit with us on http://www.audaxireland.org. Plenty of >200k spins to keep you happy with groups to keep you motivated...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I started back cycling last year. I got fed up with lack of progress on my hybrid so I bought a road bike last December with a view to completing the Wicklow 100 which I did.

For now I'm planning on the WW200 next year and a few upgrades. I also want my annual average speed, distance and metres climbed to increase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Aiming to do a solo 200km ride by mid-summer next year, not sure how realistic that is for me but I'll try. I'm quite disappointed by my cycling in 2014, it was hampered by my own sickness, sickness in the family and the moving up and down from Belfast. I've picked it up again now that I'm back living in the South where the weather's good and the roads are more inviting. Doesn't hurt that I've gotten a job and some money coming in too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

I 5 races only and got 4 points in A4.

Not being nominated for club racer of the year in our club is another factor for me to go back out

Honest question, but how could anyone who did 5 open races all year epect to get nominated as club racer of the year?

We had guys in our club who won races, got upgraded and generally made a huge impression on both open and club league who didn't nominated in our club.

Anyway my aims/motivations for next year is to train properly and in a structured manner to help be the best I can be. If I do that then things will fall into place. I've seen within my own club what people can achieve with some dedication. Every training km should mean something and the days of me just going out and spinning with no objective are gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Honest question, but how could anyone who did 5 open races all year epect to get nominated as club racer of the year?

We had guys in our club who won races, got upgraded and generally made a huge impression on both open and club league who didn't nominated in our club.

Anyway my aims/motivations for next year is to train properly and in a structured manner to help be the best I can be. If I do that then things will fall into place. I've seen within my own club what people can achieve with some dedication. Every training km should mean something and the days of me just going out and spinning with no objective are gone.

Because the others that got nominated didnt get points and I did so on that basis I though so but maybe not. Full season next year to make a better impression.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Ride 10000km in 2015
    Place in the first 20 in the Fixx CX cup
    1 Audax a month
    Ride 400km in 24h

( all very optimistic :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Because the others that got nominated didnt get points and I did so on that basis I though so but maybe not. Full season next year to make a better impression.

Or it's a club of riders who don't do much competitive riding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Or it's a club of riders who don't do much competitive riding?

Possibly a club person of the year award type thing rather than a racer of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭darkvalley

Start audaxing in January
    Complete at least a 400km at some stage throughout year
    Increase average speed
    improve at climbing
    Award myself a new bike for achieving all of the above
    Blame failure to achieve any of the above on my lack of a new bike since 2013 and put that right.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Get my W/kg closer to 4. Mix of weight drop and power increase. Not a huge amount of excess weight to drop so power got to go up

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Three main goals for this year where
      Cycle 12000km Do Boards Evil 200 Raise some money for charity and do some cycling in Europe

Did all but the first (pregnant wife, 2 year old, part time MBA meant cycling didn't always get priority !) but very happy with my lot this year.

Next year will be slightly different.
      Solo 250km Solo 300km (or maybe audax?) 500km in San Francisco next summer

Over all mileage will be a lot less but hopefully better quality

And get a new bike (don't tell, he wife!)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Aim for next year:
    Be pain free for the 1st time in 3 years! :D
    Get back into club spins.
    Get back into club races
    Get a few A4 races.
    Do a few Mayo League TT's
    Do Tour of Burren/Ring of Kerry/Tour de Connemara
    Do all days of the cycle against suicide.

Lose about 4kg
    Build leg muscle

Not too much to ask! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

Keep up the commuting (ie training) through the horrible Jan/Feb weather to get the legs back and weight away (4kg down and counting).
    May-Sept - hit the single tracks in Dublin/Wicklow in the weekday evenings
    Summer - do a full length canal-path cycle
    Charity cycles - be able to do the full-length courses (not the alternate kiddies ones)
    Get the n+1 bike - it's either going to be CF road or a bakfiets tricycle - family will decide...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

The only goal I had this year I didn't achieve. I've been meaning to get back into racing for a while but with the move to the U.K for work and getting everything set up and organised I just didn't get a chance. So next year I hope to:
    1. Get back Racing
    2. Obtain enough points to progress to A3 for 2016
    3. Help my mate train for his IronMan

We'll see how it goes. Picking up a PM after Christmas and looking to get a coach as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

As I need my car for work now I can't commute on the bike so I set a target of 3000km for the year. Next year I'll up it. I never had a target before

I'm currently at 2900km and the will to hit the target has made me go out on days I didn't really feel like it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Competitive in the track B spring league, top 3 in the Autumn.

Followed by an upgrade in the club league from wherever they put me up one group on my almost free bike.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,534 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

CramCycle wrote: »
    Competitive in the track B spring league, top 3 in the Autumn.

Followed by an upgrade in the club league from wherever they put me up one group on my almost free bike.

If you are competitive in the B spring league you could find yourself in the A autumn league (unless like me you "work" on getting yourself downgraded):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Swamp3

Motivation: 2014! Only took the bike out 5 times this year.

Goals: Complete a 200, 300 and 400 k audax
    Cycle Malin to Mizen in 24 hours.
    Own as many bikes as Beasty

Ok one of those definately isn't gonna happen but the other two are doable.

Beasty wrote: »
    If you are competitive in the B spring league you could find yourself in the A autumn league (unless like me you "work" on getting yourself downgraded):)

I will count an upgrade as equivalent but we shall see how it goes. I believe rumours spread by another boards.ie last season suggest I am quite good at sandbag going when needed :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

It never takes much for me to get motivated i love ridein my bike
    I have a shed load of mine goals but here a few things that keep me going,
    A new club for me next season and the new M50 ic race to aim for
    Jaus i can't wait :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭thinks too much

Next September I will be going to the Alps for 4 days of cycling/Torture. The following are all to be climbed. In No Particular order

Col Du Galibier
    Col Du telegraph
    Col de La Madeleine
    Col De La Croix de Fer
    Col Du Glandon
    Alpe D'heuz
    Mont Ventoux

If that does not motivate me then I don't know what will

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Get shoulder/elbow working again and fitness back by January sometime, get on the roller plan.
    Get some sportives in January-May.
    Place in the top 3 in the Women's club league on track, summer or autumn league. (That's probably my number 1 aim.)
    Do better in the nationals next year, improve my times.
    Race some of the women's crit league Corkagh Park.
    Have a go as a Sundrive interloper in the Bray club league the odd Thursday, to give road racing a try if I can.
    If I'm good/fit enough by the end of the season maybe try a women's open road race after the track nationals in August.

Don't crash. Again. Since October 2013, I have: dislocated my shoulder coming off the bike. January 2014: 2 broken ribs, a collapsed lung, February Pneumonia. August 2014: broken collarbone, cracked elbow, dislocated shoulder, frozen shoulder.
    2015 IS going to be an injury free year. Like the 10 that preceded 2013. Enough of that already!

ETA: that's all wildly optimistic. If I'm not good enough to race on the road I would like to do sportives instead, and maybe try an audax event around October time.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I need to justify the money I've spent this year on cycling related things.
    I plan on setting some some overall fitness goals.

Have a few times I want to beat in some routes too, not KoM stuff but realistic PB goals.

Doing a 300km in June sometime with a group from last year is the big one though and some fairly specific routes I'd like to try including finally taking on Wicklow

Not having a serious crash, last year it was a collision with a transit, this year it was an entirely avoidable ditch into the royal canal but it put me out of action for a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

Thought I bring this up just as a matter of interest amongst other cyclists here what is your motivation for next year?

For me I missed a good bit of the racing season and did 5 races only and got 4 points in A4. I missed two other opportunities where points were on offer but failed at last hurdle to get them. So I was disappointed on those occasions and I am willing to do what it takes to win a race if possibe and get upgraded to A3 would be great.

Not being nominated for club racer of the year in our club is another factor for me to go back out and make sure it happens in 2015, and to become the best racer in our club. There isn't much between our racers abilitywise but not making the list makes me more determined to go back out and deliver. I just want to get better on a personal level.

Advice: stop basing your goals around what other people mite think of you. Do you genuinely think a 'rider of the year' gong is of greater value than a genuine open race victory? Really?

If you place in A4, you obviously have a modicum of ability: maybe a better goal is to work on spinting/climbing power. Winning often depends on these factors, though not exclusively. And shag the begrudgers!

My goals

1. Complete De Ronde Van Vlaanderen Sportive
    2. Be in the front group at the Rossmore Statue
    3. Get up the road every other week

Best of luck to you in 2015

I want to beat my mate up hills!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Dónal wrote: »
    I want to beat my mate up hills!
    beat your mate up, thats not very nice!

2015 plan is up and running already.

packed in the beer in mid October

joined the gym in work to help strengthen legs(as i am sh1te at climbing)

want to get my 30km commute to nearer an hour than the current 1hr10-20

get out on the weekends more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

The L'Etape is the big one for me next summer. Will also take in a few hilly sportifs in preparation including the Wicklow 200.

Complete a 300km spin.

Cycle at least 8,000km in 2015.

Try not to fall off.

Keep progressing the average speed / general strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Had set myself a target of 3,000km for 2014, and am currently at 3378km. Will aim somewhat in excess of 410g km for next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

1: Commute a little more then I did this year, 40km round trip.

2: Lose 8-10kgs (102 down to 92 would be spiffing)

3: Get a new carbon bike

4: Do a 100km

5: Get into bike maintenance a bit more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

I'll mostly be giving up Tayto.

It's gonna be hard.

There will be a bit of bike racing as well I'm sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

next year I want to buy bikes and shiney bike things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

next year I want to buy bikes

I have a feeling I know what you mean by this

https://img1.etsystatic.com/051/0/5425761/il_340x270.668686349_aw35.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Plans for next year are:

Raid Pyrenean in September
    Do a few A3 races
    Improve results in the club league (stretch goal)
    Get 8000km overall done (I'll be about a thousand short this year).
    Do the Batterstown 40k TT course in less than an hour.

my real goals for next year are to get an IVCA licence and beat beatsy and robfowl.
    Do a good bit of track racing and win something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

lennymc wrote: »
    my real goals for next year are to get an IVCA licence and beat beatsy and robfowl.
    Do a good bit of track racing and win something.

You have set the bar very hi there lenny . The rob fellow is going like a train and getting stronger every week

You have set the bar very hi there lenny . The rob fellow is going like a train and getting stronger every week

He would if he learned to stop falling into rivers at the start and then being too mentally fatigued at the end, I heard he often just drops his bicycle and starts running :pac:

I know. he keeps pushing me into bushes and stuff in the cx. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Going on holidays near Here and Here in July and I'm a crap climber and I don't wan't to die half way up so my main goal is to climb better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I'm going to give up free will & self esteem to become a complete Strava drone.

I'll be getting as many of those Digital badges as I can, bar the ridiculous climbing ones.

Aiming for 10,000 KMs for next year with a lot less of a "hedonistic" lifestyle.

Hope to fit in the Galway to Dublin charity spin and more than one sportive.

Lots of Super'mutes when the weather is good to.

There'll be nothing left of me :)

and the award for most optimistic 2015 goes to........

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭lissard

- Join a club
    - One sportive a month from March to September
    - Get down to 80 kg
    - Recover confidence after breaking my collar bone in September. Particularly when descending.

• Advertisement
Advertisement